• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Well, post some military pics.

This is my Grandmother's Brother. We recently found this doing some genealogical research. I don't have a photo of him. He left behind a wife and three children. It's unfortunate that I was unaware of this at the time I was stationed in France as I was very close to it.

Information

The CAMBRAI MEMORIAL commemorates more than 7,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South Africa who died in the Battle of Cambrai in November and December 1917 and whose graves are not known.

Sir Douglas Haig described the object of the Cambrai operations as the gaining of a 'local success by a sudden attack at a point where the enemy did not expect it' and to some extent they succeeded. The proposed method of assault was new, with no preliminary artillery bombardment. Instead, tanks would be used to break through the German wire, with the infantry following under the cover of smoke barrages.

The attack began early in the morning of 20 November 1917 and initial advances were remarkable. However, by 22 November, a halt was called for rest and reorganisation, allowing the Germans to reinforce. From 23 to 28 November, the fighting was concentrated almost entirely around Bourlon Wood and by 29 November, it was clear that the Germans were ready for a major counter attack. During the fierce fighting of the next five days, much of the ground gained in the initial days of the attack was lost.

For the Allies, the results of the battle were ultimately disappointing but valuable lessons were learnt about new strategies and tactical approaches to fighting. The Germans had also discovered that their fixed lines of defence, no matter how well prepared, were vulnerable.

Attachments

• Private Richard Bransfield - CWGC Certificate.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 30
This image I remember seeing in a Time-Life commercial (at least early 80’s) that was selling a set of WW2 illustrated books. This one image flashed on the screen and my Dad being a WW2 Navy vet knew the story. What really got to me was how he told me. He almost whispered it in deep reverence to the man depicted. The man is Captain John Cromwell, commander of the USS Scuplin. The illustration depicts his decision to ride down with her while she is scuttled. He did this because he knew of invasion plans and was concerned that the Japanese would torture the information out of him. He was joined by Ensign W. M. Fiedler and 10 others (some most likely dead). I have been searching for this illustration for literally 20 years and I found it tonight. I still get chocked up from it. Cromwell was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his devotion to country.
IMG_3149.jpeg

Last day in the Air Guard, 2014

i-BVrpc4G-X3.jpg

i-4zCjLR4-X3.jpg

Davis-Monthan AFB, 2005 - still miss those A-10As. F-15's were not at all the same.

i-NZM3dZm-X2.jpg

Here are some from Iraq 2003 during the initial invasion with 1st MEF, BLT 2/1.

Attachments

• 030321-M-3692W-040-1.jpg
    030321-M-3692W-040-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 34
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-74-1.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-74-1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 34
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-33.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-33.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 33
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-20.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-20.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 32
  • fu2.jpg
    fu2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 33
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-119.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-119.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 32
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-98.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-98.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-94.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-94.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 32
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-91.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-91.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-79.jpg
    OperationIraqFreedomSlideShow-79.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P4090142.jpg
    P4090142.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 15THMEUPICTURES294.jpg
    15THMEUPICTURES294.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 15THMEUPICTURES298.jpg
    15THMEUPICTURES298.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0258.jpg
    100_0258.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 37
Decca navigation is or rather was (I believe it to be long outdated) a low frequency navigational system requiring three or more slave stations. Our company had 25 UH-1's initially and three Decca systems maintained by a civilian Decca rep. When they worked, they were fantastic and saved my and others bacon on more than on occasion. Trouble was they were finicky and often just didn't work and/or Decca couldn't keep the supply chain moving quickly enough. They involved scrolled maps of Vietnam and additionally you could scroll an approach plate (diagram) for either Bien Hoa or Saigon which were major airports in III Corps Vietnam.

I’m at my parents’ place for Christmas and found this.

IMG_3581.jpeg

My dad was a draftee from ‘63-‘65ish. That unit subsequently reclassed as photographers and was shipped off to Vietnam in 1966. He’s not sorry he ETSed when he did.

It’s a Vulcan; I’m sure he got it as some kind of fundraiser, and it’s unused. He’s never been a smoker.

My Uncle WWII

I love seeing pictures of those WW2 guys when they were young. I see those guys from time to time now that I am back in xray - the older, tired, often decrepit version of those young men and women. They usually wear some kind of hat or jacket that gives a hint of their past. Caps with a ships name and number are most common. If I see an old dude with a BB-61 cap or a submarine cap, I know there might be an interesting story there. Their numbers grow fewer with each passing year.

If you post a pic of an older vet, tell a little more about them. What were their dreams? What did they do after the service? Where did they meet their spouse? Add a little more color to those black and white pics!

Some Pictures of My Uncle Mick.
He was Born in Tralee County Kerry Ireland.
He ran away from home at 16 and Joined the British Army in 1945.
He served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and the Royal Ulster Rifles.
Did duty in Germany and Gibralter.
Saw combat in Palastine and Korea.
he lived with us when I was a kid and passed in 1987.

He would recite "Blood and guts poetry" to me and my Brothers, mostly Rudyard Kipling and Robert Service.
I know several of them by heart, start to finish. Impressed the hell out of one of my College English teachers by reciting all of Gunga Din [smile]

UncleMicDesert.jpg 26.jpg Fusilier Michael J Foley.jpg Uncle Mic in Palastine 1948.jpg

May have posted this before but…the rest of the story.

3-7 Cav and 3rd ID participated in REFORGER 84. At the end of the exercise, we were queued up in a field, waiting to roll home. Took German in school and spoke it pretty well.

A little kid came up to me and asked if we could run over the junk car. "We would need permission from the owner [Besitzer].

Guy in work clothes standing nearby. "I'm the owner."

"If we ran it over oil and gas would spill out and pollute your field."

"We removed the oil and the gas tank."

"Sergeant Messer! Want to run over a car?"

....Just as two M151's drove up....The First Sergeant and Troop Commander. They, of course, knew none of the back story. My explanation? “Sir, we will NEVER get a better chance to run over a car!”

Hk48XBk-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

(Germany based units) USAREUR (U.S. Army Europe): 1st Infantry Division (Forward), Göppingen; 3rd Infantry Division (Mech), Würzburg; 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fulda. (U.S.-based units): 1st Infantry Division (Mech); 5th Infantry Division; 24th Infantry Division; 30th Armored Brigade (Sep); 2nd Armored Division (Mech): (TN-ARNG, Tennessee Army National Guard); 7th Infantry Division (Light): 3rd Brigade.

Back
Top Bottom