Weird malfunction

I had a weird malfunction (at least one that I've never seen, and it LOOKED weird) with my AR-15 last night.

From what I can tell, I think the brass from the fired round snapped in half while being ejected. The bottom 3rd of the brass seems to have been ejected properly (it was nowhere to be found), but the upper 2/3 remained stuck in the chamber. When the next round was chambered, it was forced up inside the upper 2/3 of the broken brass. When I pulled out the jammed round, it was firmly wedged inside the broken brass. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon, if I have time.

I'm assuming the malfunction was just due to worn out brass. It's remanufactured ammo (Ultramax .223 from Dick's) loaded in Lake City brass. This is the only ammo related malfunction I had in about 150 rounds.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is this common?

I found a piece of brass when sorting that was cracked in the way you described. The crack hadn't gone all the way around though. I broke it in two by hand. I don't think it was brass from ammo I had shot, I picked it up at the range (which makes it likely that it was Ultramax reman as well).

I wouldn't reload that brass...

Just to follow up on this post - not only do I recommend that you do not reload this brass, I recommend that you do not buy this ammo. I had two more head case separations over the weekend (about one per box). The last one jammed up above the bolt, and I haven't been able to remove it. Details to come on a fresh thread.

I do reload Ultramax .38 brass after inspecting it of course, and it works fine. But yeah, I wouldn't trust their .223s. The higher powered the cartridge, the shorter the case life will generally be.

Back
Top Bottom