• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MP5 Clone Malfunction

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
I might have posted something about this before, but I think I might need a refresher. Getting a strange malfunction. Not even sure how to classify it (FTL?). My best guess is that the spent casing isn't extracting fully and getting in the way of the next round, which then goes perpendicular to the barrel and the bolt smashes it into the breech. So when this happens, I lock the action open and pull the mag, the spent casing drops out of the magwell.

This happened before. Someone suggested getting a new extractor spring. I replaced both the spring and the extractor itself. Still happening like once every 3-4 mags, but yesterday was terrible. Like every 5th shot. Gun is clean when it happens. Also, the pic is of a flat nose, which the gun didn't like, but it happens on round nose as well. Casing looks fine--no weird marks. Just the bullet pushed in from being crammed in there. No weird marks on ejector either. Any ideas? Could just be a sh*tty clone out of spec.

20190804_162426.jpg

Weak magazine springs or messed up feed lips? How fresh is the recoil spring? MP5"s are notoriously bad at feeding flat nose/truncated cone bullets. Look at the bullet set back on that truncated cone bullet, its' slammed right back into the case on top of the powder. I'd pick up a fresh or different magazine and try it. I'd also take a bronze bore brush that fits the chamber and chuck it up in a cordless drill and clean the chamber really well, maybe use a little polish on the chamber.

Weak magazine springs or messed up feed lips? How fresh is the recoil spring? MP5"s are notoriously bad at feeding flat nose/truncated cone bullets. Look at the bullet set back on that truncated cone bullet, its' slammed right back into the case on top of the powder. I'd pick up a fresh or different magazine and try it. I'd also take a bronze bore brush that fits the chamber and chuck it up in a cordless drill and clean the chamber really well, maybe use a little polish on the chamber.

This happens on all of my mags. Two separate curved prebans and new-old stock sticks. So I don't think it's the spring or feed lips, but will see if I can test that anyway. Yesterday was all round ball, but was still happening a lot. I'll have to see about cleaning like you said.

I have an SP89 and it really only likes factory prebans and FMJ ammo. You could have an out of spec receiver, but short of sending it to a HK gunsmith the only other thing I can really suggest is replacing recoil spring and recoil buffer. How much does the mag move in the magwell? Some aftermarket magwells are sloppy and (aftermarket) MP5s are notorious for feeding issues.

I have an SP89 and it really only likes factory prebans and FMJ ammo. You could have an out of spec receiver, but short of sending it to a HK gunsmith the only other thing I can really suggest is replacing recoil spring and recoil buffer. How much does the mag move in the magwell? Some aftermarket magwells are sloppy and (aftermarket) MP5s are notorious for feeding issues.

My mag moves a lot forward/aft. I mentioned this before on an old post and most people said that's common. But I really think it moves too much. Recoil spring might be something to look into. I have no idea how many rounds mine has on it. I noticed there are "Extra power" recoil springs on the market.

My mag moves a lot forward/aft. I mentioned this before on an old post and most people said that's common. But I really think it moves too much. Recoil spring might be something to look into. I have no idea how many rounds mine has on it. I noticed there are "Extra power" recoil springs on the market.

The clones move a bit more than factory, it's supposed to move some, and it's supposed to feed from either forward or back. Good luck. If nothing else you can get some malf training in.

The clones move a bit more than factory, it's supposed to move some, and it's supposed to feed from either forward or back. Good luck. If nothing else you can get some malf training in.

This one is a bitch though. Need to use a cleaning rod down the muzzle end just to poke it out. I am, unfortunately, very proficient in it now. As much as I love how this gun shoots, when it shoots, I wouldn't trust my life on it.

Is something interfering with the bolt when it's coming forward? I had an issue on a clone where the ejector was hitting the bolt on the way back and getting tons of problems. Greg at GFA took care of it (ground it down a little I believe) and it runs great now.

This one is a bitch though. Need to use a cleaning rod down the muzzle end just to poke it out. I am, unfortunately, very proficient in it now. As much as I love how this gun shoots, when it shoots, I wouldn't trust my life on it.

That sucks. Does it behave the exact same way with all your mags? Does the bolt move freely? Almost sounds like you don't have enough recoil energy.

Is something interfering with the bolt when it's coming forward? I had an issue on a clone where the ejector was hitting the bolt on the way back and getting tons of problems. Greg at GFA took care of it (ground it down a little I believe) and it runs great now.

Agree. I would explain your problem with Greg at gfa. He’s an HK wizard

That sucks. Does it behave the exact same way with all your mags? Does the bolt move freely? Almost sounds like you don't have enough recoil energy.

This, or maybe not smooth recoil energy (such as from the ejector hitting the bottom of the carrier as it comes forward). Check the ejector and the carrier to see if it looks like they're making contact. I think you can test it by taking the recoil spring out and cycling the action while you watch what's going on through the magwell.

Ejector doesn't seem to have any unusual wear, but I'll take another look at it. Action seems smooth when manually charging. No unusual wear or shavings that I've noticed. I'm going to try a high powered recoil spring to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the input guys!

You have an SP89 and you actually fire it? Bravo!!!!!!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW68goC4_es

Ejector doesn't seem to have any unusual wear, but I'll take another look at it. Action seems smooth when manually charging. No unusual wear or shavings that I've noticed. I'm going to try a high powered recoil spring to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the input guys!

If you take the recoil spring out I think you can charge it and then just tilt it forward to see if it's binding on the ejector on the way back.

I don't shoot it a lot, but yeah it comes out sometimes. I pretty much stopped bringing it out because every time people see it they ask the same questions and make the same stupid accusations.

Accusations? wtaf? Uggh, must be a douche club.

Accusations? wtaf? Uggh, must be a douche club.

Yes, yes it is a douche club. Do you have a tax stamp for that? That's an sbr! Aren't those illegal in MA? Cops shoot here, don't let them see that! No rapid fire! You can't shoot that on the indoor range! I really attribute this behavior to MA. People love to wake up and inset a boot into their anus.

Some pople are fine, esp the younger kids. They just ask to finger f*** it or shoot it or take pictures with it. Or mtofb.

Yes, yes it is a douche club. Do you have a tax stamp for that? That's an sbr! Aren't those illegal in MA? Cops shoot here, don't let them see that! No rapid fire! You can't shoot that on the indoor range! I really attribute this behavior to MA. People love to wake up and inset a boot into their anus.

Some pople are fine, esp the younger kids. They just ask to finger f*** it or shoot it or take pictures with it. Or mtofb.
That would get old pretty quick.

Its always the magazines!!!
That looks like the cartridge is just jumping out of the mag.
Next time out load mag with 1 round and cycle it, then 2

Work through your mags,

or you can do what so many like to do
Use 3-4 cans of break cleaner to clean it and then slap on a good smothering of mobile one engine oil should fix it

I had some pretty gnarly ftf using stick mags in my ptr. Once i switched to the curved mags all my issues stopped.

Sorry for the necro of my own thread, but I think I finally solved this mystery of a malfunctioning MP5 clone. As mentioned, I checked almost everything: Replaced extractor and spring, checked bolt gap, checked ejector tolerance by slowly pulling back charging handle to see its position by the bolt, religiously cleaned everything......nothing seemed to fix this issue. And it had gotten worse. At least one FTE or FTF+FTE per mag. It was driving me nuts.

After my last range day this weekend, I field stripped it and took a good long look at the parts. Ejector has some wear on the top where it rubs the bolt, but I thought that was to be expected. However, I decided to look up the part for reference, and there I think I found the problem. These two nubs are completely worn down to the point the entire top portion of the ejector is flat. Having never seen a new one, I just assumed that part of the ejector came flat from the factory. So I have a feeling those bumps must give the ejector a little flick at the point of ejection. Not having them must reduce reliability, and while I did check the ejector in the bolt, it did look like it could have been closer to the bolt by a half MM.

So that brings me to my new issue. WTF is up with MP5 ejectors being like unicorns these days? It's apparently so bad that people are selling them on Gunbroker for $125? It's a $30 part for US made. Maybe $50-60 for German. The only ones I can find are .40/10mm, and those are a different orientation for the ejector head.

IMG_4992-scaled.jpg

Sorry for the necro of my own thread, but I think I finally solved this mystery of a malfunctioning MP5 clone. As mentioned, I checked almost everything: Replaced extractor and spring, checked bolt gap, checked ejector tolerance by slowly pulling back charging handle to see its position by the bolt, religiously cleaned everything......nothing seemed to fix this issue. And it had gotten worse. At least one FTE or FTF+FTE per mag. It was driving me nuts.

After my last range day this weekend, I field stripped it and took a good long look at the parts. Ejector has some wear on the top where it rubs the bolt, but I thought that was to be expected. However, I decided to look up the part for reference, and there I think I found the problem. These two nubs are completely worn down to the point the entire top portion of the ejector is flat. Having never seen a new one, I just assumed that part of the ejector came flat from the factory. So I have a feeling those bumps must give the ejector a little flick at the point of ejection. Not having them must reduce reliability, and while I did check the ejector in the bolt, it did look like it could have been closer to the bolt by a half MM.

So that brings me to my new issue. WTF is up with MP5 ejectors being like unicorns these days? It's apparently so bad that people are selling them on Gunbroker for $125? It's a $30 part for US made. Maybe $50-60 for German. The only ones I can find are .40/10mm, and those are a different orientation for the ejector head.

View attachment 531543

This might help

View attachment 531543

HKParts had a bunch of German ones for like $55 yesterday but I think they're gone now. I paid over $80 for my last one (for a dedicated binary pack).

In other words, expect the scalpers to have a bunch of new ones listed any day now, hopefully for a not-too-rapey price.

Back
Top Bottom