P365XL Firing malfunction video

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
I don't know if this video which was posted to YouTube 10/14/2022 has been shared elsewhere on NES, but if so sorry a search did not turn it up for me.

So I don't know how much stock to put in this guys complaint but there are a couple folks in the comments that say they have had the same malfunction.

In fact the comments are pretty entertaining reading, there are people who mindlessly dump on Sig, there are people who say mine never did that so it can't be real while wearing their Sig love on their sleeve, and then there are those who keep and open mind either way and try to offer constructive assessments.

It has been two weeks and I would have thought there would be a good chance they would have the gun back by now and be able to share a result.

Anyway give it a watch if you are interested, and definitely read the comments.

🐯

Guns are mechanical, they can break. No mechanical device is completely failure proof. Not sure what the standard is for the gun industry but I am sure there is an acceptable/planned failure rate they allow for in their design and manufacturing. The p365 and 365xl has been out quite a while now, if there were any inherent design flaws or common failures with them, they'd have certainly shown up by now and the internet would be buzzing about it.

People also do dumb shit, they take shit apart and don't put it back together right, they abuse things, they don't maintain things, they break shit, etc. Most of the mechanical failures I see in my industry are user induced or caused by lack of maintenance, but they never own up to it, even when they know they did it. The manufacturer always gets blamed.

I own a Glock that did something similar but the fail mode wasn't quite as dangerous. It is an early production g42 where the trigger would fail to reset on dry firing. A glock rep replaced the trigger bar with the newer revision one and the issue went away.

This isn't really a shocker with the Sig products though wouldn't be surprised if "it's 'a thing, but not something they will admit to yet". It certainly is not in the league of the obvious p320 defect class....

Guns are mechanical, they can break. No mechanical device is completely failure proof. Not sure what the standard is for the gun industry but I am sure there is an acceptable/planned failure rate they allow for in their design and manufacturing. The p365 and 365xl has been out quite a while now, if there were any inherent design flaws or common failures with them, they'd have certainly shown up by now and the internet would be buzzing about it.

People also do dumb shit, they take shit apart and don't put it back together right, they abuse things, they don't maintain things, they break shit, etc. Most of the mechanical failures I see in my industry are user induced or caused by lack of maintenance, but they never own up to it, even when they know they did it. The manufacturer always gets blamed.

That's certainly true but this failure mode makes no sense because usually "if you do things like that" on a striker fired handgun it doesn't work at all..... in other words if this is a thing is an issue in more than a sample of a few guns then it's a design flaw vs it's peers.

Also if Sig actually told him to keep shooting the gun that's pretty ridiculous...... that's a huge safety problem to me, having a gun not fire when the trigger is pulled is skeevy as f***. I had a Ruger Mark II that had a similar failure basically you would pull the trigger and it would just make a crunching noise instead of fire. Sometimes within 10 seconds the gun would just go off after that without touching the trigger again other times you'd have to pull it a few times and it would fire LOL after it happened a couple times I'm like f*** this s*** and I returned it to Ruger and they completely repaired it and it never did it again.... it was quite obvious there was something wrong with the sear or something inside the gun.

Lol @ Sig if they really told him to keep shooting it and then they wonder why they're getting sued.... 🤣

Also if Sig actually told him to keep shooting the gun that's pretty ridiculous...... Lol @ Sig if they really told him to keep shooting it and then they wonder why they're getting sued.... 🤣

That is true but I keep in mind that the guy doing the video is not the owner of the gun and a third party to that call to Sig customer service. No telling exactly how the actual owner related the problem to the Sig rep on the phone, although you would think "I pull the trigger it doesn't go bang until I shake it" would be plain enough. But that is also so plain that I have to question the whole 'Sig told me to keep on shooting it' thing.

Clearly there is an issue with that gun so that is not in doubt, and there is someone in the comments that says they had the same issue, but that person also said they called Sig immediately got a prepaid return label and that Sig turned the repair around in 48 hours with a new FCU.

Hard to tell without being party to that initial customer service call what the deal was here.

🐯

I don't know if this video which was posted to YouTube 10/14/2022 has been shared elsewhere on NES, but if so sorry a search did not turn it up for me.

So I don't know how much stock to put in this guys complaint but there are a couple folks in the comments that say they have had the same malfunction.

In fact the comments are pretty entertaining reading, there are people who mindlessly dump on Sig, there are people who say mine never did that so it can't be real while wearing their Sig love on their sleeve, and then there are those who keep and open mind either way and try to offer constructive assessments.

It has been two weeks and I would have thought there would be a good chance they would have the gun back by now and be able to share a result.

🐯

an every gun i have, i always do a smack test. it is when you cock it, you then smack the gun at the bench and see if it drops the trigger.
365 i have passed that test just fine. a shake test too. dunno what is with that XL - but i guess any gun can be faulty, just check yours.
it is a last thing you want for your gun to discharge if somebody hits you with a bat and gets the gun, or you fall on a gun and it discharges, etc.

🐯

at 1:09 he cycles it with the trigger fully depressed and then says it should be going off. No, that's not how it works, first you need to reset the triger and then it goes off. Otherwise it would be an MG.

Some of the other examples are hard to tell, but it does look like some are legit problems.

That leads to my next observations, there is a fair amount of wear, which would seem to indicate a lot of use, so not a new gun. This doesn't fit with the "break in" advice, something isn't right. Then there is what looks like a modified, or replaced, or maybe even aftermarket frame. It certainly possible to have an issue like this if the frame to slide fit isn't quite right. The grip mod goes right up to the slide, where the plastic is thinner and the fit more critical, it wouldn't take much to affect the release.

And then there is the shooter. We've all done it, and it's usually on a gun we use a lot, we "clean up" the works a bit. So I can't dismiss the possibility that the shooter has made some improvements. After all, it's a well use gun.

I'm not saying that it's 100% certain its the owner plus a biased review, but there is more than enough question about it for me to not take his word for it. And lets face it, youtubers get more views with a look haw terrible this is video than they do any other kind. Controversy leads to click, even if you have to make it up.

Back
Top Bottom