• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weekend pickup #2: matched 1916 RSAF Enfield S.M.L.E. Range Report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Got this from a NES member today (thanks JDO9). If anyone gets the hots for a S.M.L.E. after this post, he has another in only the slightest lesser condition, a 1918 BSA, but this one has a pedigree to with it - Australian use in WWI and WWII with an overhaul and inventory in from 1939 in Australia.

All matching 1916 RSAF Enfield; came with 1917 M07 bayonet, sling, and oiler. I have a WWI action cover coming as well as a pull through to complete it. I chose this one over the BSA as only 423,000 were produced in 1916, as well as the condition of the stock and bore. This rifle also has the added attraction of an early style round cocking piece and windage adjustable rear sight, features which began to be discontinued after 1915. Bore is mint, non import marked.

T

Last edited:
The button looks like it could be from a regimental coat,and if so it might tell you who had the rifle.

Very nice. I think the SMLE was one sexy battle rifle ever fielded by any countries military. One has been on my short list (what hasn't been on my short list) forever but as usually happens, something else presents itself. I'm sure it's going to be shot some, huh? Post a little write up on this rifle when it happens, a lot of us like reading people's thoughts and impressions after shooting the "good stuff."

As I said, there is another very nice one available if you're on the top of your short list.

A range report will follow. I have 20 rounds of '73 HXP .303 left.

T

Last edited:
Last edited:
And the pair;

fall 1943 undated, Savage No. 4 Mk. 1*, matched 71 series, Savage bayonet, Savage sling, Savage Action cover
1916 RSAF Enfield No. 1 Mk.III*; WWI action cover, pull through, and frog coming to complete it.

T

I might have snagged the pair, but I'm not into Enfields like I am with Mausers. One very nice S.M.L.E. and my Savage #4 are enough.

A WWI French rifle is on the short list to complete the Great War collection; I have German, American, English, Italian, Russian, and by extension, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Austria.

T

The action cover came today from a well known Military Surplus vendor. I did not pay the 'best in stock' fee and was still able to get a 1916 date. This cover once graced a S.M.L.E. from the The Prince of Wales Own North Staffordshire 64th Regiment of Foot. It was manufactured by AM.E.Co. The original leather lace was dry as dust, but a hand rubbing with Lexol made it butter smooth again.

The pull through should be here in the next day or so. There seems a lot of room in the butt trap for just an oiler and a pull through. Was something else supposed to there? I know there was an expanded cleaning kit with wire mesh for scouring the bore, but that needed permission from a superior to use.

T

I have had a couple of trips to the range with it, but haven't reported out yet. The sights are low; my HXP made a softball group at the bottom on the target. The sights need an elevation of 350 yards to hit 100, and the windage is spot on. The second try I used 1967 POF headstamp surplus that all went click-bang, and my group strung vertically from 12-6:00. When my case of HXP comes next week, the third try should be the charm.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist. I just snapped this up on ebay to complete the S.M.L.E. - a 1916 dated sling. Expensive, but actually cheap considering a German sling is 3X as much.

T

Last edited:
Looks like only the pull through and the oiled in the butt trap; almost no room for the pull through - you have to pack it carefully.

T

Looks like only the pull through and the oiled in the butt trap; almost no room for the pull through - you have to pack it carefully.

T

In case you do not know, the brass rod on the pull through goes in the small hole. The rest goes in the big hole. It should fit easily.

Also, there are some reproduction WWI dated slings being made in India on the old British equipment that made the canvas webbing. I guess you can call them new production but they are being given WWI dates. There are differences in the metal bits and that is how to tell. Yours is ligit so it is just for future reference. Here is some pics for comparison. They are being sold on Ebay to the unsuspecting as vintage. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/leeenfield3or4slingwwiwbrassstamp.aspx

I am not sure how much you know, so I am just posting this for future reference to any other Enfield owners as well. The cord should be wrap as follows so there is a loop that can be lifted up and used to pull it all out. If done right, it is very easy to get in and out. Here is a step by step guide on how to wrap and place the pull through. http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=178-How-to-wrap-an-Enfield-pull-through

Last edited:
I actually had it in that way by looking at my Savage. I got the button out at the cost of an eyeglass screwdriver. I backed it against a flat razor blade so as not to dent the wood. The button was a Waterbury.

I have a reproduction Enfield disc coming; EFD/LONDON/arrow.

T

I figured you knew but thought I would post it for others as well. I really like that button. I wonder when it was put in there? Have you been able to date when it was made?

With the help of the good 'ol standby, surplusrifle.com, I stripped The S.M.L.E. Enfield bolt for the first time. While I was at it, I stripped the Arisaka bolt for the first time as well. Both were novel designs to me as I am used to the Mauser and Springfield system, and to a lesser extent the Russian M91, Steyr M95, and Gew88.

I found the Enfield a little complex with the special too, and was totally amazed at how ridiculously easy the Arisaka was with no tools needed. My respect for the Arisaka went up a couple of notches.

T

Oops, now I have to go back in the cabinet and strip the Savage's bolt.

Last edited:
Food for the hungry children; 450 rounds of 1976 HXP; 78 cents/round. Happy to find it, and the targets as well - hard to find as of late.

T

looks like a good contender for CMP vintage rifle match @ old colony come spring 2015.

Range report. Mostly sunny, breezy, 47 degrees. 100 yards, seated, no sling, lead elbow on the table. 30 rounds of 1976 HXP. Front sight is a .015, and the rear sight was set a snitch below 400 yards. I had a little trouble with stringing as I has tired after two hours of yard work on top a workout.

S.M.i.L.E.

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom