Weapons charges dismissed in Fitchburg Case

Too bad he wasn't a law-abiding gun owner that had failed to properly store the gun or something -- he'd have been screwed then:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080827/NEWS/808270435/1003/NEWS03

Weapons charges dismissed

By Matthew Bruun TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

FITCHBURG— Weapons charges against a Leominster man were dismissed yesterday after a judge agreed with defense counsel that the man’s confession was not corroborated by additional evidence.

Irfan Bhatty, 19, of 206 Main St., Leominster, was charged after a taxi cab was struck by bullets.

Mr. Bhatty was charged with carrying a firearm without a license, carrying a loaded firearm without a license, carrying a firearm without a firearms identification card and carrying a firearm with a defaced identification number.

Mr. Bhatty was arrested as police investigated the taxi shooting. Mr. Bhatty was alleged to have been inside the taxi that was fired upon on June 2, 2007.

Police found bullet hits in the window, tailgate and windshield of the cab, theorizing a shot fired from behind the taxi went through the passenger compartment and out the windshield.

The occupants of the taxi fled after the shots had been fired. Police were later summoned to Park Street by a caller, who said there were two men outside his residence trying to line up a ride via cell phone. Police found two men, including Mr. Bhatty, along with guns.

Fitchburg Police Detective William R. Lawrence wrote that Mr. Bhatty admitted to handling the weapons with the other man.

“I told him that I didn’t believe that they just ‘found’ the guns and that they had the guns on them,” he wrote.

Mr. Bhatty told the detective he had gotten out of the taxi and knew where the guns were and retrieved them for self-defense. He said the guns had been hidden near the home of one of his mother’s friends.

In a motion filed yesterday in Fitchburg District Court, defense lawyer Leonard Staples sought a required finding of not guilty in the jury-waived trial.

“As reason therefore, defendant states that his alleged admission to police is otherwise uncorroborated by the facts presented by the commonwealth,” Mr. Staples wrote.

Court records show Judge Patrick A. Fox allowed the motion, despite objections from prosecutors.

Course, it doesn't tell us why he was shooting at the cab. With the way some of those guys drive cabs around town, it wouldn't surprise me if he fired a few shots after receiving shoddy service. [laugh] j/k.

I think theres a bit more to the story than what the paper is letting onto
here, but I'd place a fair wager this guy was obviously up to no good.

-Mike

Course, it doesn't tell us why he was shooting at the cab. With the way some of those guys drive cabs around town, it wouldn't surprise me if he fired a few shots after receiving shoddy service. [laugh] j/k.

I think theres a bit more to the story than what the paper is letting onto
here, but I'd place a fair wager this guy was obviously up to no good.

-Mike

I am sure too!

Back
Top Bottom