Weak Hand Shooting

drew

NES Member
How many people shoot with their non-dominant and or feel they should or want to and just don't how to? I am curious to see the answers, so many people I talk to about shooting, can not hit the side of a barn standing in it, with their non-dominant hand. Please feel free to post your answers....

~Drew

I have much practice to be done with my off-hand. In fact I have not been doing a good routine of firing some rounds off hand on each range visit.
Thanks for the remainder. You should try and be confident from either hand, in any scenario that could come up you may find yourself only able to work with one hand.

I've wanted to learn just in case anything happens to my dominant hand but everything we shoot now has a bit too much bang to start out learning. I'de have to work my way up from the smaller stuff

When I get towards the end of my practice, I usually do a few mags worth in my non-dominant hand - good practice.

It's not 'weak hand' per se but one of my goals for this season is to learn to shoot Trap lefty - I've been teaching a fair number of new folks, and being able to "mirror" the things to do, so that they can see what to do, seems like a good idea.

Also, It will give me at least one more page for the Offical Book of Trap Excuses [smile]

I can hit paper with my left hand, but thats about it. I try to shoot at least 30-40 rounds lefty each time I hit the range.

I am yet to try shooting a rifle lefty, maybe this weekend.

Train with both, it could save your life.

Completely agree.

Having CT grips on my defensive guns helps (at my age) to vastly improve my effectiveness at shooting left handed. I train both hands and with laser on and off, but the lasers clearly provide an advantage for me.

I am proud to say I can shoot equally poorly from either side. Ok, not really but I have had to overcome some problems, those being left-handed and right eyed. I shoot a long gun righty but carry concealed on my left side. I can shoot fairly well holding a handgun lefty and sighting across my body. It has got interesting lately as I just purchased a .380 pocket gun. I now carry that in a Desantis pocket holster on my right side and have practiced drawing and shooting with pretty good results.

This is also good advice for hunters. Especially when sitting in a tree stand, that deer doesn't always come form the direction that's convenient. Last year I was glad I had practised with my left hand as it allowed me the presence of mind to swap hands to shoot a deer that I would have otherwise passed on.

As Jen said... I shoot IDPA as well... therefore I practice shooting weak handed. And I agree that knowing how to do it could save your life.

I am proud to say I can shoot equally poorly from either side. Ok, not really but I have had to overcome some problems, those being left-handed and right eyed. I shoot a long gun righty but carry concealed on my left side...

Ditto. I'm a righty with left-eye dominance. I've found that I shoot marginally better with the weaker left hand, and feel being able to shoot both sides well is a great benefit. Never know what a situation may require when feces is eviscerated in a fan blade.

I cant the gun inward homeboy style a little less than 45 degrees,lock my elbow hard (which I dont do freestyle), lean into it pretty good and I have to hold a fair amount high and right.

If you teach, being able to show correct form using either hand just makes it that much easier for the student to see how to do something. I can just as easily demonstrate proper grip, stance, etc as a lefty shooter as I can a right hand shooter. I'm not nearly as good operating that way, but good enough. It really just takes practice.

Just like a switch hitter in baseball, being able to do the task with ether hand is very beneficial.

I'm mostly ambidextrous. I can do most things with both hands, except write legibly. That I do lefty. I normally shoot righty, as I fare better this way. But not only do I practice shooting lefty, I also practice from drawing from my righty holster left handed, and also practice reloading lefty (tough to do with mags in left pocket as I carry). To reload shooting lefty, I holster my firearm with my left hand into the holster on the right side with butt of the gun facing forward, change the mag with the left hand, draw, and continue firing.

I'd practice shooting with my feet if BRP let me.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. When I started shooting I shot rifle from the left side. When I started shooting hand guns I naturally shot lefty. I wasn't bad but learning to draw felt better from the right so I learned to shoot with the right. Now I can switch, side to side, depending on how I'm feeling or just what hand I pick it up with if it's sitting on a bench.

Back
Top Bottom