WD-40 and firearms

It started to sprinkle this morning while I was shooting and one of the guys said it would be a good idea to spray a wet handgun down with WD-40 to remove the moisture. A different guy said that all he used was WD to clean his guns (he used Hoppe's 9 for the bore with a tornado brush as he called it) and has had good luck for 25+ years. Anyone else use WD for cleaning? It is sure cheaper than the MPro7 I use now and the red straw spray thing would let you get right into those hard to reach spots. I'm thinking about it but want the NES public opinion on the matter first.

I use it on my firearms for what it is expressly intended for: Displacing water. I used it this morning after shooting in the rain.

I will take the top end off, wipe the gun down and then use a real lube (synthetic) on the gun.

A different guy said that all he used was WD to clean his guns (he used Hoppe's 9 for the bore with a tornado brush as he called it) and has had good luck for 25+ years.

No mention of WD being used as a substitute for proper lube here. I'm just interested in trying to use it to clean up gunk and moisture. I would certainly follow up with a coating of oil and a lubrication product as prescribed by the manufacturer of the firearm.

VERY good for cutting through oil-based crud and removing moisture. Wipe thoroughly and lube with the appropriate product.

Yes, it will take adhesives off your floor, etc. and is super for taking tar off your car w/o scratching the finish.

I use Break Free, it cleans, protects, and oils all in one. Wiped down all my rifles the night before the NES shoot yesterday cause I knew we'd be shooting in rain and tonight when I unpacked them all for cleaning, nothing had any rust and all were still oily.
Break Free is also an excelent bore cleaner.

Isn't WD40 extremely flammable? Granted most applciations would not be soaking wet, but still could be possible. Would be enjoyable to see a flamming gun*literally* and the reaction of its owner.[smile]

Our department has used WD40 for cleaning our SS semi-autos since in mid 80's. We buy it in the gallon size and transfer it to pump bottles.

It isn't a lubracant by any means. But it leaves the firearm clean and degreased.

The Brownell's site was interesting. During my two trips to SE Asia, we used WD-40 on our 14's and 16's. No rust, but we cleaned them frequently, too. I'm guessing the water displacement was the primary reason it was issued.

WD-40 is a great cleaner and water displacer. But don't use it for a lube. A number of years ago one of the state police forces told about their 9MM jamming up. The cause was found to be the officers cleaning the firearm with WD-40 and thinking it was a lube. The firearm would fire once or twice and lock up from lack of lube. I now use Rem Oil and Moly lube on all of my firearms.

After attending the Westfield Machinegun Shoot last fall
every gun, magazine and link I brought was soaked due to the driving rains that day. WD-40 was my only hope.....it works.

WD will also act as starting fluid in a pinch. I used to use it all the time on an old lawnmower that I had!

That reminds me, I need to buy more WD40 !

I still haven't cleaned my guns from the shoot, oh well there's always tomorrow. (which will turn into next week i'm sure!)

If I know I'm heading out in the rain I always pack an old rag soaked in WD-40 in a Zip-Loc bag. Wiped all my firearms down before I put em in my car after Saturday's shoot. Opened them up a few minutes ago and as usual, they are fine and dandy...

Back
Top Bottom