Walmart Ammo exploding?

doesnt sound at all credible to me, considering the recall on the 22 is from 2007, well before any ammo shortages, and that ammo style was available from any retailer that stocks winchester ammo.
grasping at straws is all that is.

Yup, I was just trying to figure out any plausible reason. Mansfield Rod and Gun still has warnings about the .22 stuff up, maybe he was going off of that...

Yup, I was just trying to figure out any plausible reason. Mansfield Rod and Gun still has warnings about the .22 stuff up, maybe he was going off of that...

I posted that at MF&G (and BR&P) more than 1 year ago. Many people, like myself, are still shooting ammo purchased 20 years ago. Also lots of "odd lot" ammo sold at gun shows is old and I guess that nobody in "mgmt" at MF&G felt that the info was too old to be of value.

Still doesn't sound like what Richie was yapping about, however.

Him, were you buying more .22? If so then maybe his story had some credibility to it. It does sound like he may have embellished upon it though.

I told him that I bought a bunch of 9mm ammo for a gun I dont even own (which I dont. There was a bunch at Walmart, so I bought it for the time that I do buy a 9mm. Hasnt happened yet, but will once I find one with the right price) and Richie's response was "Oh, so you bought exploding ammo?"

I smelled absolute bullshit immediately. Businesses do some shady things when it comes to corner cutting, but I cant see a company like Winchester jeapordizing nearly their entire product line (I bet you they sell more bullets than anything else that they sell) just to sell to Walmart. They would be much more apt to tell them where to put it rather than keep up business. The cons certainly outweigh any sorts of pros when it comes to that.

i shoot walmart ammo all the time, i have never had any time of malfuntion at all from its ammo.

WWB and blazer are excellent ammo. remmington; well rem just sucks! [rofl]

When I first read the OP, I thought is was that tool from Sportsman's Trading Company (Do NOT go there if you value money).

There is no way Winchester is cutting corners to meet wally worlds price. Hell, wally world RAISED the prices for 45 and 40S&W about a month back. Used to be $28 for 100 WWB .45 ACP, now it is $32. 40S&W went up a buck per box as well. IIRC, 9mm is also $1 more per 50.

WWB and blazer are excellent ammo. remmington; well rem just sucks! [rofl]

I gotta disagree.

When shooting my Beretta 92, WWB 9mm ammo shot low and poor compared to Remington 9mm. I even had a few light primer strikes with WWB.

The Winchester 17hmr is pure junk and the Remington 17hmr is a step above that with both types having a ruptured casing here and there. Best 17hmr I've shot has been CCI.

As far as I'm concerned Winchester ammo is right there with Wolf these days but it just costs more and its readily available at shit stores like Wal Mart.[rolleyes]

I gotta disagree.

When shooting my Beretta 92, WWB 9mm ammo shot low and poor compared to Remington 9mm. I even had a few light primer strikes with WWB.

The Winchester 17hmr is pure junk and the Remington 17hmr is a step above that with both types having a ruptured casing here and there. Best 17hmr I've shot has been CCI.

As far as I'm concerned Winchester ammo is right there with Wolf these days but it just costs more and its readily available at shit stores like Wal Mart.[rolleyes]
I'm not sure your experience is shared by all in terms of WWB. If you go to the IDPA Nationals, you see so many empty boxes of WWB laying around you'd swear Walmart was an IDPA sponsor.

It is not just Wally World.
Everybodies bulk ammo is getting worse.
I have had more problems with .22 ammo in the past two years than in the previous 40 years that I have been shooting.
Remington, Winchester, Federal, all the same poor QC.
Loose bullets, missing or loose priming compound, cases dented or bulgled so that they wouldn't even chamber.
I think that we may be seeing the effects of poor QC practices, lowered standards of performance, inexperienced and underpaid workforces, and machinery that is long overdue for maintenance/replacement.

If you try the $7 - $8 per 50rd ammo, it seems to work just fine.

Jack

I'm not sure your experience is shared by all in terms of WWB. If you go to the IDPA Nationals, you see so many empty boxes of WWB laying around you'd swear Walmart was an IDPA sponsor.

Don't get me wrong, its cheap and often reliable. It just doesn't shoot as well in my Beretta 92 as Remington does.

If WWB was as good as everyone thinks it is, there wouldn't be a need for WinClean.

if this story were true the MSM would be all over it by hyping "police at risk of exploding ammo". Screw the gun owners they should die anyways. And a second thought,if the gun just exploded how come no one was hurt,killed bystanders maimed,cats/dogs living in sin, well you get the picture

I'm not one to hate, but I called Richie's a couple weeks ago to do an FFL transfer and he said it was $50!!!

Then also told me that the gun I wanted wasn't MA compliant.... I went elsewhere for less money and less bullshit.

I'm not one to hate, but I called Richie's a couple weeks ago to do an FFL transfer and he said it was $50!!!

Then also told me that the gun I wanted wasn't MA compliant.... I went elsewhere for less money and less bullshit.

I bet if you walked in and asked for the same gun, it would have magically become Mass compliant...

Don't get me wrong, its cheap and often reliable. It just doesn't shoot as well in my Beretta 92 as Remington does.

If WWB was as good as everyone thinks it is, there wouldn't be a need for WinClean.

Same results with my 92, but outside of that I love the stuff!

I blame the gun. [wink]

Shoots dead nuts in everything else I have, including the 9mm AR.

I found the Remington UMC to be weak ......... the UZI refuses to eat it. Not enough Oooomph to cycle the bolt.

WWB, Blazer and Remington 9mm have all shot well and reliably in several on the 9mms that I’ve competed with in IDPA and USPSA. I’ve owned a 92FS for years, but haven’t shot it enough to have an opinion as to its reliability with the three different rounds.

It does seem that Remington produces more smoke than the other two, and on a very calm day, shooting arrays from a single position can be difficult.

Respectfully,
jkelly

There has LONG been the notion that the stuff that is sold through the Big Box stores is of a lesser quality than the same item sold through smaller shops.

Examples:
  • Spark Plugs
  • Oil and Air Filters
  • Dewalt Power Tools
  • Ammunition

While it is true that some of the Big Box places force their manufacturers to built special versions of their product for them (Home Depot, for example, has a medicine cabinet that everyone else sells with mirrors on the insides, and the HD version doesn't have the inside mirrors), the part numbers for that product is different than the regular version.

But a Champion spark plug with the exact same part number at Walmart is exactly the same as at the NAPA store, and as at the small mom and pop auto parts store.

The same has to be true with ammo. There's too much risk involved with trying to make an "off brand" version of Winchester .45 ACP for one place and another for the other place.

So, the gun store's story is BOGUS.

So I was in a shop the other day talking with the owner and I told him how I had just purchased a sizable quantity of ammunition from Wal-Mart, to which he answered "So you bought a bunch of exploding ammo?". At first I thought he thought I screwed and up and bought some sort of explosive round, which I clearly didnt, so I asked him what he meant. He said that Wal-Mart, in a brazen attempt at keeping prices on their ammo low, told Winchester et al that they would only pay so much. The aforementioned companies apparently took short cuts when building the ammo, classic for something sold at a Wal-Mart (Mongoose, anybody?) and as a result, the ammo will sometimes explode in the chamber resulting in a destroyed firearm and possible injury. Apparently the ammo companies told Wal-Mart that Wal-Mart would be liable if anything were to happen.

A cursory Google search turned up nothing, has anybody heard of this? Virtually all of my ammo was bought at a Wal-Mart, and I really dont want to be destroying my guns and, you know, dying.
The only ammo that I ever saw in Wal-Mart was made by Federal Cartridge Co., Winchester and Remington, all quality brands. Whether these rounds appear on a Wal-Mart shelf, a K-Mart shelf or at the local gunshop will have no effect on their quality and reliability.

Rather than find ways to compete, people sometimes use dishonesty as their chief marketing tool...I'm no big box cheerleader - I was pissed when Wal Mart set up shop on the site of an old, (and successful) drive-in in North Adams. I was equally concerned about the "mom-n-pop" stores I frequented when Wally World and Home Depot set up shot in Pittsfield. You know what happened? Many of them adapted and changed to meet the competition. Lee Hardware still exists, LP Adams Lumber still exists, Carr Hardware expanded to open another store in Lee. Dettinger Lumber is still making deliveries - the world is still turning.

I get a number of people who approach the gun counter with the same story: "So and so said your bows are factory refurbished"... "I heard your guns are factory seconds"... "My best friends brother was told at the gun shop that your ammo prices were low because you buy ammo made in Korea" " I was told that it's illegal to mail order ammo in Massachusetts"...On and on and on ad nauseam...

I've said this before: Dicks Sporting Goods is not a gun shop - it's a gun department in a sporting goods store. When I'm there, I try to make it feel like a gun shop, but it isn't. It's a place where folks can find value in between the lines. There are things we offer that cannot be found in gun shops and that's where the "buying power" really is. One gun shop that has adapted with "big box mania" here is Pats in Lanesboro. Love him or hate him, (I like the big lug), he is continuing to be successful because he offers products and service, (namely used firearms, hard to find ammo and milsurps). He is also an active presence online and though I don't know this for sure, he may have been a pioneer here at jumping on the gunbroker bandwagon. If you're looking for something unique, Pat will usually have or find it...

What Pat does not do however, is spread disinformation...If anything, he sends people to Dicks Sporting Goods - especially if they're looking for a new gun, or bulk purchase of ammo. In turn, I send people to him for used guns, or hard to find ammo that we do not stock. Recently, I sent someone with a great old gun up there because Pats has a box of great old slings and it suited his gun better than a new Butler Creek.

I'm finding the less than honest dealers are seeing their business fall off and they can't blame it all on "Brother Big Box"...What they need to do is look in the mirror and realize that they are failing at capitalism....

Last edited:
I'm finding the less than honest dealers are seeing their business fall off and they can't blame it all on "Brother Big Box"...What they need to do is look in the mirror and realize that they are failing at capitalism....

"...Failing at capitalism....." [rofl]

Yep, I'm stealing that one.....

Brother big box (Wallyworld, in this case) had another capitalism failure for me when they couldn't find the only guy with keys to the ammo during my lunch break. Of course, with their prices they don't need good service to succeed. Yeah, I'll go back later.....

Brother big box (Wallyworld, in this case) had another capitalism failure for me when they couldn't find the only guy with keys to the ammo during my lunch break. Of course, with their prices they don't need good service to succeed. Yeah, I'll go back later.....

I don't know if this is the case for all walmart's, but to page at the walmart in Newington, NH you type: #96 and say something to the effect of: "Sales associate to sporting goods."

I know it works cause I watched someone type it in to page the sporting goods associate.

So go ahead and try it, the worst that will happen is it won't work.

That is too funny...Last year on Black Friday no less, I went to Wally World to get some 45ACP WWB Shooters Packs. They had three of them sitting there on the shelf and I wanted all three...The sales associate could not open the ammo locker, because the associate before him took the keys home...He went to the managers office to get the spares, but the associate before that took those keys home as well and the manager had no back-ups...I said to the associate: "Well, then just pry the lock off - it's Black friday for God's sake and you have ammo sales". "No way" he said, "Some guy came in a few months ago and asked us to do that and when we tried it, the entire glass door broke"... (That 'guy' was me...hehehe) [wink]

Maybe they were using ammo in this gun

balloon-gun.jpg

Richie is a god damn ass in my opinion. I lived less than 1 mile from him in the past but after a few outright lies and him trying to take advantage of a young guy (me) who he thought didn't know any better I crossed him off of my list. His crap is overpriced anyway.

I have heard so many different bullshit stories from him on such a range of things it isn't even funny. It was great when he started to bullshit me about his cobra.......guess he didn't take me for a car guy....shut him down pretty quick with his embellishing there.

The last straw was when he tried to illegally collect sales tax on the "value" of something he didn't sell me but was just accepting a shipment and transferring for me. Again, he must have thought he would be able to pull a fast one on me....too bad I spent some time working at a tax office. I asked him what the Mass D.O.R. would think about this......again that shut him down pretty quickly.

Richie is a god damn ass in my opinion. I lived less than 1 mile from him in the past but after a few outright lies and him trying to take advantage of a young guy (me) who he thought didn't know any better I crossed him off of my list. His crap is overpriced anyway.

I have heard so many different bullshit stories from him on such a range of things it isn't even funny. It was great when he started to bullshit me about his cobra.......guess he didn't take me for a car guy....shut him down pretty quick with his embellishing there.

The last straw was when he tried to illegally collect sales tax on the "value" of something he didn't sell me but was just accepting a shipment and transferring for me. Again, he must have thought he would be able to pull a fast one on me....too bad I spent some time working at a tax office. I asked him what the Mass D.O.R. would think about this......again that shut him down pretty quickly.

Your nicer than me. I would have paid it and gone to the D.O.R. to teach him a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom