Wait time on Massachusetts Machinegun permit

mac1911

NES Member
Is there are average time on MG permit in mass. Been 6 weeks now and have heard nothing ? I picked up my LTC-A renewal last week. Officer said nothing yet on the MG permit.

Is there are average time on MG permit in mass. Been 6 weeks now and have heard nothing ? I picked up my LTC-A renewal last week. Officer said nothing yet on the MG permit.

Obviously did you renew that at the same time? If you did, the best bet is to call the PD and ask! [laugh]

-Mike

Your lucky they granted it...What town....I waited about 8 weeks for mine....If you think that's a long wait, wait until you purchase your first MG. You'll be anxious until you get it. Just like a kid at Christmas...That takes long....Good luck...What r u gonna get for your first....

MG is not a renewal but I did the MG app the same day as my renewal app. 1st one ? I am looking for possible M2 carbine fills that gap in my collection.
I really dont know yet. My first step is getting the permit. Would you think I would have been declined by now on state police level ?

MG is not a renewal but I did the MG app the same day as my renewal app. 1st one ? I am looking for possible M2 carbine fills that gap in my collection.
I really dont know yet. My first step is getting the permit. Would you think I would have been declined by now on state police level ?

Well, I really don't know the specifics...

1) What Town
2) Are you PO, or an PO firearms instructor
3) Do you have a C&R

Well, I really don't know the specifics...

1) What Town
2) Are you PO, or an PO firearms instructor
3) Do you have a C&R

4. Did you have a discussion with the COP before you applied?

In some towns the chief will deny all MG applications. It is wise to have a conversation with the chief prior to applying (to avoid getting denied). I withdrew my first application because I was told by my neighbor (also town police officer) that my application was going to be denied. When the new chief was hired (very gun friendly) I reapplied.

If Chief or licenseing officer where to deny my would they bother with the application process and send pics/prints to State Police ?
Kingston MA
C&R

I only applied as this is the 3rd time I have been offered MG to buy at good prices. This time seller is family friend thining his collection and has given me several months to get my license and possible forms and cash together for a handful to choose from in the sub 5k range.
risen model 50 45acp
beat to sknot tommy gun functions 100% just well handled
M2 carbine
A few colt m16s although these are a bit more than I want to spend or can spend.
Hes looking to keep the remaining sales to close friends and family

Mac....
[grin]
It depends on the Chief/officer...He/she may not have the knowledge of processing MG licenses. Some think it's just like a LTC and don't send the C&R...etc... From what you said, and as long as the Chief approves...You should be all set.

BTW...You've been up all nite...Time to get some sleep [grin]

the wait time was 3 weeks for mine.. green town out in westie mass,i didnt have the C+R when i talked to the chief he told me to get the C&R and he would do the paperwork, the whole process was alittle over a month i recall... and if hes looking for a buyer of those reg MG let me know im looking to get my feet re wet...

Its no different than your LTC, really no reason it wouldn't have been done when your LTC was ready...you should have asked when you got your LTC...Give the PD a call Monday...

...a handful to choose from in the sub 5k range.
risen model 50 45acp
beat to sknot tommy gun functions 100% just well handled
M2 carbine
A few colt m16s although these are a bit more...

Tommy gun in the $5K range, pass on the M2 carbine an JUMP ON THAT! I don't care how beat it is I haven't seen any Thompson's for under $10K in years, and in the $5K range in a LONG TIME....

Last edited:
Any Thompson for 5k, functioning well or not is worth it. You can have the whole gun refinished to look new for short money (relatively).

Don't forget also, that ALL Thompsons are now C&R so you can transport them interstate where legal without a 5320.20

Grab the Thompson then look into a 9mm subgun of some sort, its cheaper shooting than any 30 carbine.

Sell everything and buy as many as you can! a good deal on a transferable MG is something not to be passed on. Unfortunatley I will not be able to even think about a MG until I can get out of mass. I was told I would not be issued a license for any reason in my town...

Im partial to the Reising myself. I think its such a cool, quirky piece of history......

Edit: when I was doing my research into what I would purchase ( if I had been able to get my permit ) The 2 pieces I was going to go after was a M50 Reising and a MAC 11 in 9mm. When I was looking around the MAC could be had in the low 3K range and the M50 could be had in the mid 3k range. I know it wasnt on your list there but the MAC's in 9mm with a slowfire upper are a TON of fun.

.30 carbine would be pretty costly out of a MG

Also, is the M2 actually a M2 or a conversion?

Last edited:
I asked my firearm licensing Sgt. and was not told no but needed to talk to the chief first. Something that hasn't happened yet.

I asked my firearm licensing Sgt. and was not told no but needed to talk to the chief first. Something that hasn't happened yet.

I was referred to the Chief of Police as well, and told a definite NO. Frankly I cant afford to play with NFA crowd as it is and having to hire a lawyer to have a shot at getting a permit, $1k in lawyers fees for a proper trust its just not practical at the moment

sorry guys my wording was not well. He has a few under 5k
also a thompson and 1 m16 along with a few others beyound my reach. He has basically told me no more talk until I got the permit in hand.

side note
As far as processing goes:

I could not really get any info out of local PD about how the state police handle the licensing process.

He took both my LTC-A renewal and MG application, checks for both on the same day.

If the state police handle MG app the same as LCT-A I should have recieved by now.

Im thinking they are a little more involved with MG apps, No?
Collectors license verrification, back ground check ect ect

Last edited:
...If the state police handle MG app the same as LCT-A I should have recieved by now...
Yes you should have...
Im thinking they are a little more involved with MG apps, No?
Unless they state changed things VERY recently, there is no difference in processing the two licenses (no "state" collector check, no "extra" back ground check)

Yes you should have...
Unless they state changed things VERY recently, there is no difference in processing the two licenses (no "state" collector check, no "extra" back ground check)

Well stated by securityboy.

On the MG's, if you don't go for the Thompson please put me in touch with him as I'd like to buy it.

Adam, this is the 2nd time in 5 years I been offered to buy MG at what are a good enough deal not to pass up.
last time I had way to much going on in my family life. Im not letting it slip by this time. The gent is a old friend of my dads and I never new he even had machine guns. Once I get my stuff in order and talk to him more I will pass along any future sales info on.

not sure why the delay but I will call midweek next week.

Who notifies you of denial ?

Adam, this is the 2nd time in 5 years I been offered to buy MG at what are a good enough deal not to pass up.
last time I had way to much going on in my family life. Im not letting it slip by this time. The gent is a old friend of my dads and I never new he even had machine guns. Once I get my stuff in order and talk to him more I will pass along any future sales info on.

not sure why the delay but I will call midweek next week.

Who notifies you of denial ?

The LEO in charge of firearm apps. in your town should. Unless they just send out a letter.

Mac, Thank you for any future leads on MG's.

12ish weeks later......and GTG.
Awesome and congrats!
Now go buy a MG....... whatever you can imediately afford, so there is always a "need" (as in renewals) to have the Lic. If you catch my drift [wink]

I would love to rush out and just buy anything, but I have a few I want and right now have to wait until spring to move on.

My Chief said yes and I dropped off the application but have not been called in to do fingerprints or pay. I have a current LTC-A that is in the middle of the cycle so I just have to wait for them to call me to submit the fingerprints, I guess.

Anyone have an idea on how taunton is with a mg license, the cheif and cpts have gone out of their way too be helpfully with class a license (flexibility on app hours as well as printing out my pin that I loose monthly ....)v

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

best bet is to just flat out ask who ever handles the LTC-A. If It goes beyound him then ask the chief.
I flat out asked if there was anything above and beyound the requirements and if they would even accept app. Response was, You meet the requirments we will process the app. Its up to state police after that.

Back
Top Bottom