VULCAN .50 shoots bolt through shooters neck UPDATE: 2nd Vulcan nearly kills another

I'll bet you a case of beer of your choosing (or mine) if it isn't the rifle, or the rifle's design isn't a major contributing factor to the way it failed. I like IPAs, specifically Sierra Nevada. I'd take Yuengling, too. Let me know when you're going to make the delivery and we'll meet up.

-Mike
I'll pass on the bet because you are probably right. I just don't like to see a conviction just on reputation.

I saw a video once of a breakdown of a new Vulcan AR... it was a total POS. I don't know how they're still in business. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here it is:

I <3 that video just for it's pure unadulterated showing of the complete and utter failure that is Vulcan.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are they still in business?

This is america, the #1 source of skinflints and cheapskates in the entire world. Make it cheap enough and idiots will flock to it and buy it. If there was ONE THING I absolutely loathe about our culture, this is it. It's OK to be frugal, I get that... this is beyond being frugal and into the realm of full retard skinflint. Alarm bells should go off when someone notices that this product is way cheaper than everyone else's offerings in the same market, but some people are just terminally stupid.

The sad thing is you know tons of people have bought this trash. Thankfully they probably shoot 10 rounds out of it and put it in the safe and forget about it, because someone who is as much of a skinflint to buy one of these certainly wouldn't want to pay to operate it on a regular basis given the cost of ammo.

Hesse/Vulcan is so bad that I would rather buy a rifle made in china any day of the week. I bet if Norinco made a .50 BMG bolt action and was allowed to sell it in america, at least it would probably be a hell of a lot safer.

-Mike

Someone has to make the guns that get sold to gangbangers out of the back of a trunk, and which eventually get handed in at gun buybacks.

Within seconds Vulcan is tried and convicted in the internet court.

Very first shot. No chance there was a bore sighter or cleaning rod in the pipe?

Dude, first go look up Hesse. When you are done with looking up Hesse and ultimately vomiting all over yourself, go look up Vulcan. When you are done having shit seizures from reading up on Vulcan, go look up Blackthorne and their "part kits" (aka "because our complete rifles suck shit so bad that we've made you vomit and shit all over yourself from just reading reviews about them, we are going to sell parts kit so we can be totally absolved from any wrong doing because we know we suck shit that bad").

Once you have completed your research on Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne, you will have mysteriously contracted a hybrid version of the Ebola/Marburg virus and you will be bleeding out from every orifice of your body.

this thread is a major PSA, AND makes the membership a complete bargain.

my hands and neck are worth more than $21 , even though my brain might only be worth .10 at times. [smile]

This is america, the #1 source of skinflints and cheapskates in the entire world. Make it cheap enough and idiots will flock to it and buy it. If there was ONE THING I absolutely loathe about our culture, this is it. It's OK to be frugal, I get that... this is beyond being frugal and into the realm of full retard skinflint. Alarm bells should go off when someone notices that this product is way cheaper than everyone else's offerings in the same market, but some people are just terminally stupid.

The sad thing is you know tons of people have bought this trash. Thankfully they probably shoot 10 rounds out of it and put it in the safe and forget about it, because someone who is as much of a skinflint to buy one of these certainly wouldn't want to pay to operate it on a regular basis given the cost of ammo.

Hesse/Vulcan is so bad that I would rather buy a rifle made in china any day of the week. I bet if Norinco made a .50 BMG bolt action and was allowed to sell it in america, at least it would probably be a hell of a lot safer.

-Mike
This is why I haven't bought an AR yet. I still have no idea what I should buy. I don't want to overspend, but I don't want to go cheap.

this thread is a major PSA, AND makes the membership a complete bargain.

my hands and neck are worth more than $21 , even though my brain might only be worth .10 at times. [smile]
+1 I had never heard of Vulcan until I saw that video, which I found either through this place or TTAG, not sure which.

This is why I haven't bought an AR yet. I still have no idea what I should buy. I don't want to overspend, but I don't want to go cheap.

+1 I had never heard of Vulcan until I saw that video, which I found either through this place or TTAG, not sure which.
If they are putting out guns like that one in the video, then they've gone past "cheap" to dangerous. There are guns on the market which suffer from spotty QC which aren't "dangerous" like that, but rather "unreliable" and not "durable".

They suffer from rough edges and slack tolerances which causing feeding issues, not things blowing up in your face...

Blowing up in your face is a whole new level of busted...

There's currently an ongoing thread about another alleged Vulcan .50BMG "mishap" (I post "alleged" because of the skeptics over there demanding "proof or it didn't happen" types)...

My co worker bought a Vulcan 50 cal and it blew up on him on his 1st shot! ****ed him up really bad. Bolt when half way through his right shoulder, blew off 3 fingers on his left hand and he might be blind in both eyes(lost the left and they might be able to save the right). He was out at Pawnee grasslands shooting with another friend who saved him and got him back to town. This all happened a couple weeks ago and he is out of the hospital and in a rehab center.
I never even heard of Vulcan till this happened and now it seems this is all to common with this rifle. He was using factory ammo but I'm not sure exactly what but I'll report back any details I can find out.

F***!!!!!! What is going on with these Vulcan rifles???????

Another Vulcan .50 blew up on my coworker!!! - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Pic of bolt someone pulled from a Gunbroker sale....

Buttress thread... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress_thread

From the pics, they look poorly machined and not much meat to them.

^ This.
Very shallow thread/lug. Could see even a minor issue in heat treatment turning that sucker into a projectile.
If what I read is correct, a 50 bmg shell contains close to the powder charge of a WWII pineapple grenade.

Within seconds Vulcan is tried and convicted in the internet court.

Very first shot. No chance there was a bore sighter or cleaning rod in the pipe?

There is another report today of ANOTHER VULCAN .50 BMG that blew up, and nearly killed someone in Colorado. Victim is currently blind.

Another Vulcan .50 blew up on my coworker!!! - AR15.COM

- - - Updated - - -

There's currently an ongoing thread about another alleged Vulcan .50BMG "mishap" (I post "alleged" because of the skeptics over there demanding "proof or it didn't happen" types)...

Another Vulcan .50 blew up on my coworker!!! - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Beat me to it.

Easy way to answer which AR to buy is simple.

There are many decent, safe brands to buy. Some are liked, some aren't, but regardless, they are decently made.

Comments are strictly about safety, not politics or what we like/dislike about the company. So, please, don't bash me over who I mention. Don't hesitate to comment, just please don't bash. That should be fair.

I'm mentioning a few good companies, not everybody, so folks, feel free to add to these.

First off, you simply can't go wrong buying a Colt. I've certainly used enough AR's made by them, and haven't found an unsafe one.

Bushmaster has been good.

The Anvil Arms we bought on the group sale were good.

DPMS is said to be good.

First off, you simply can't go wrong buying a Colt.
Although not a safety issue, it's worth learning about small/large takedown pins and the sear block if standardization and upper/lower interchangeability is important to you.

The newer Colts are all MIL Spec takedown pins, I think. Truth known, almost all Colts I've used were owned by my employer.

But, Rob is right, do learn about them, and avoid anything with different sized pins than MIL Spec. The non Colt brands will be OK in this respect.

sounds like the guy with the 2nd rifle got ****ed UP, and bad.

it would be so awful to be injured in such a fashion while enjoying something you love be it shooting, racing cars, etc. [hmmm]

Thankfully most companies that make "cheap" products draw the line at safety. You can stand behind a product with crappy reviews and reputation and people will say "Eh, I'll give it a shot", but nobody's standing behind a dangerous product (or products).

Back
Top Bottom