• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VULCAN .50 shoots bolt through shooters neck UPDATE: 2nd Vulcan nearly kills another

UPDATE:
There is another report today of ANOTHER VULCAN .50 BMG that blew up, and nearly killed someone in Colorado. Victim is currently blind.

Another Vulcan .50 blew up on my coworker!!! - AR15.COM

Originally Posted By generes:So I went out today with a vendor to shoot my rifle for the last time (sadly had to part it out).

All things going great and we hear a EXTREMELY LOUD BOOM. Screaming ensues. "CEASE FIRE!!! CEASE FIRE!!! CALL 911!!! CALL 911!!" and all the RO's are running to this one guy..

Well come to find out this was the FIRST SHOT FIRED from a Brand new Vulcan 50cal using factory ammo. The bolt lugs disintigrated, the charging handle sheared from the bolt, and the bolt exploded backwards and lodged into the guys neck area. They found the charging handle about 30 feet behind him in the grass while the paramedics were tending to him. Ambulance arrived quickly, and im no doctor, but it looked like the guy was going to be alright based on the fact they didn't seem to be too worried while tending to him.

PSA : At Range today LOUD BOOM - Vulcan 50 cal EXPLODED - Bolt lodged in guys neck! PICS - AR15.COM

WP_20130601_005_zps5ddc53de.jpg
boltinneck_zps46ab12b9.png

Last edited:
Re: Brand new VULCAN .50 sheers lugs and shoots bolt though shooters neck on first

A Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne firearm - the end result is not a surprise. That's horrible for the operator...wish he knew better to buy a 50 cal from such a piece of trash company.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I've been in the mindset of trying to think of things in a positive way but....
better the neck than in the eyes????
That's shitty right there. Hope its nothing irreparable.

Wow, hope this guy is OK.

What is the backstory behind this vulcan company and why do they have such a bad rep (besides the obvious 50 cal that just exploded)?

Wow, hope this guy is OK.

What is the backstory behind this vulcan company and why do they have such a bad rep (besides the obvious 50 cal that just exploded)?

They are the Ford Pintos of the AR world. They make DPMS and Oly seem like Noveskes. They are absolutes pieces of crap, and you're guaranteed to be plagued with malfunctions.

They started as Hesse, changed their name to Vulcan trying to escape their shit reputation. IIRC, vulcan's slogan was "Machine Guns of the Special Forces" (insert painful laughter here)

Once the secret that Vulcan was Hesse leaked out, they changed their name to Blackthorne.

We should take odds on how soon it will take for them to change their name again.

I saw a video once of a breakdown of a new Vulcan AR... it was a total POS. I don't know how they're still in business. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Daaamn.. Thats way above and beyond a typical kaboom. Hope the guys ok.
In this day and age who the hell puts out a POS like that and wouldn't expect to get sued into oblivion.
Sounds like major Q.A. issues.

They are the Ford Pintos of the AR world. They make DPMS and Oly seem like Noveskes. They are absolutes pieces of crap, and you're guaranteed to be plagued with malfunctions.

They started as Hesse, changed their name to Vulcan trying to escape their shit reputation. IIRC, vulcan's slogan was "Machine Guns of the Special Forces" (insert painful laughter here)

Once the secret that Vulcan was Hesse leaked out, they changed their name to Blackthorne.

We should take odds on how soon it will take for them to change their name again.

How bad is the DPMS Lower parts kit? I bought one to start an AR build, but am second guessing my decision.... That Vulcan rifle is an abomination.

ETA: Misread, they don't make DPMS.

Last edited:
Re: Brand new VULCAN .50 sheers lugs and shoots bolt though shooters neck on first

How bad is the DPMS Lower parts kit? I bought one to start an AR build, but am second guessing my decision.... That Vulcan rifle is an abomination.

DPMS actually has quality control, something Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne DGAF about. I have a DPMS LPK in one of my lowers. I have no complaints at all. It has run with no issues.

I think you read that wrong. They don't make DPMS.

DPMS is a manufacturer of entry-level to mid-range ARs - their products function and shoot just fine. I have several ARs built on DPMS LPKs, one .308 AR with a DPMS upper half, and my primary/3-gun AR is built on a DPMS lower. Everything functions perfectly.

By comparison, Blackthorne/Vulcan/Hesse is basically the guy on the street corner selling questionable food in foil wrappers.

Not knowing the history or remembering the video posted above, I would probably get sucked in possibly (I am sure it wasn't cheap, so red flags go up when I spend money). With a name like Vulcan, and the vulcan cannons used in the military I would think they were one in the same.

A Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne firearm - the end result is not a surprise. That's horrible for the operator...wish he knew better to buy a 50 cal from such a piece of trash company.

Perhaps improper heat treatment of the steel components was the culprit? Thankfully, the gentleman was not killed. Hope he recovers fully and soon.

Sweet Jesus man, order some golf shoes. After watching that video these people should be sued for negligence!!!!!
That firearm looks like what a 10 year old would do in shop class. I think a lot of 10 year olds could do better with the proper instruction.

Hesse got a real bad reputation while they made FN-FAL receivers that were mistimed.

The threads would have the wrong start point, the end result being that the rifle didn't have enough windage adjustment to be zeroed.

Yet, they still continued to sell them.

Some were sold as Hesse, some as Coonan or DCI.

Right now, Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne is synonymous with junk. Lcstyle is right, they ought to be sued dearly. I'll wager they weasel out of it, though.

Lifting this guy up in prayer to Father God in the name of Jesus for healing and recovery. Save his physical life, LORD, then save him spiritually.

Why would you buy a gun chambered in the most powerful cartridges available from one of the absolutely shittiest firearms manufacturers on the planet?

I mean I feel for the guy, really... but I wouldn't want to be near a Hesse/Vulcan ANYTHING when its being fired, never mind a .50 BMG.

-Mike

Why would you buy a gun chambered in the most powerful cartridges available from one of the absolutely shittiest firearms manufacturers on the planet?

I mean I feel for the guy, really... but I wouldn't want to be near a Hesse/Vulcan ANYTHING when its being fired, never mind a .50 BMG.

-Mike

this. damn .50 BMG you scary.

hope the shooter is ok.

-Mike

If it wasn't for NES and my google-fu (I always search out brand names I never heard of for reviews, goes back to the earlier days of computer parts to find good companies) I'd have no knowledge that Hesse/Vulcan are the same and are absolute shit. In fact, if not for this very thread, I would not have known that they changed their name to blackthorne.

Not everyone is as savvy as us NES'rs when it comes to looking up this stuff. I mean, a lot of the BS Hesse pulled happened long before I could even legally buy a gun.

-Mike

I never quite understood the expression "buy once cry once," but maybe that's what the guy had in mind.

Within seconds Vulcan is tried and convicted in the internet court.

Very first shot. No chance there was a bore sighter or cleaning rod in the pipe?

If it wasn't for NES and my google-fu (I always search out brand names I never heard of for reviews, goes back to the earlier days of computer parts to find good companies) I'd have no knowledge that Hesse/Vulcan are the same and are absolute shit. In fact, if not for this very thread, I would not have known that they changed their name to blackthorne.

Not everyone is as savvy as us NES'rs when it comes to looking up this stuff. I mean, a lot of the BS Hesse pulled happened long before I could even legally buy a gun.

Yeah, but if you're going to drop serious coin on a rifle, wouldn't you do a little goggling or something these days?

Admittedly I found out how shitty Hesse was by coincidence. A long time ago at FS there ws an AK underfolder preban on consignment there for like $650. It was made by Hesse, I believe. I picked that thing up and cycled the action and it was the shittiest AK I had ever held in my hands, ever... the parts fitment and everything was ghetto beyond belief. I thought "Wow, if this company can **** up an AK this badly, then I don't want anything they sell". Then I went online and did more research, and lo and behold, discovered everything they sell is that grade of trash.

-Mike

Very first shot. No chance there was a bore sighter or cleaning rod in the pipe?

I'll bet you a case of beer of your choosing (or mine) if it isn't the rifle, or the rifle's design isn't a major contributing factor to the way it failed. I like IPAs, specifically Sierra Nevada. I'd take Yuengling, too. Let me know when you're going to make the delivery and we'll meet up.

-Mike

Vulcans are apparently banned from FCSA events for safety concerns. Or something.

Fifty Caliber Shooters Association

They also evidently redesigned their bolt to make a 3 lug version. Makes you wonder why, and also which one this guy had pass through his neck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom