• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visiting the CMP store . . .

Hi, I will soon be headed on vacation to visit a old buddy of mine in the wonderful southern bastion of Alabama. During my trip I plan on making a stop to the CMP store located in Anniston, AL. I have never ordered from the CMP, but am aware of their requirements.

I am wondering has anyone ever dealt with the CMP at one of their "retail" stores, either in AL or OH? If so, please give me/us a heads up and let me know what to expect. Is it possible to still skip shipping to an FFL and getting it shipped to my door, or no? Worse case I can still ship to my FFL. Just curious . . . Anyone, anyone, little help?

Thanks

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the FFL type 3 (C&R)? If you have one they will ship C&R rifles like the Garand to your house. It's easy to get the C&R, just takes 8 weeks or so. Obviously not an option if your upcoming trip is soon. Fyi, I have the C&R and hope to order a CMP Garand at some point.

Maybe the question is this - can you buy the rifle from them in person, then go to a UPS store and ship the rifle to your house.

Call and ask if you can bring your requirement forms and info in and purchase that day...Talk to them about shipping items they know best.
Requirements
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm
forms http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/1orderform.pdf
Basically you need to be
US citizen
have proper license if needed for your state
Safe firearms handleing or compition record----- Massachusetts class A handles this one along with hunter safety course ect ect. Its in the requirement section
Notorize form 2A, UPS stores,banks, kinkos ect ect
Affiliated club membership----your gun club ? GOAL and or the Garand collectors Association cover this.
Down load forms, get apropriate copies of needed documents, call them and find out if they are open, find out if they do walk ins with paper work in hand ? OR send in your paper work NOW and maybe it will be ready the time you go.....still bring all info with you anyway

The short answer to your question is Yes, they WILL allow you to hand-select and ship to your door.

They will also hold your shipment for a week or so, until you are enroute home, so you will be there to receive it/sign for it in person.

Good advice above to check to be sure that they will be open.

Give them a call and check your dates--they are super-helpful folks at the CMP.

--Warm_Garand

ETA: A CMP Club Affiliation is just one of many qualifiers. A GOAL membership is also an "affiliation" qualifier, as is joining the Garand Collectors Association ($30 +/-) right there in the store. It's all nowhere near as daunting as it sounds.

ETA2: They will notarize all of your forms for you, right there in the store--at least this is the case at the North Store.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the FFL type 3 (C&R)? If you have one they will ship C&R rifles like the Garand to your house. It's easy to get the C&R, just takes 8 weeks or so. Obviously not an option if your upcoming trip is soon. Fyi, I have the C&R and hope to order a CMP Garand at some point.

Maybe the question is this - can you buy the rifle from them in person, then go to a UPS store and ship the rifle to your house.

Why not just buy it and have a local dealer make the transaction? It's usually only 25 bucks or so. Massachusetts, that is..

^ You can't just buy a garand from the cmp and have a local dealer do the transaction.

The CMP ships to anyone if you meet their requirements. You don't need to have a C&R FFL.

^ You can't just buy a garand from the cmp and have a local dealer do the transaction.

The CMP ships to anyone if you meet their requirements. You don't need to have a C&R FFL.

Ah, right. It's WW2 type firearms.

Thanks everyone, I thought this thread had stalled big-time . . .

I am definetly going to give them a call before I leave and have all my information in order, I don't actually really care if they can't send it to my home, I will pick it up at my dealer when I return, I just would like to walk in, pick something up and pay, and be done in the same day is all. I appreciate all the advice. If I return home with a piece of history or two I will post them up!

Nobody mention this, but make sure you try to visit as early as possible. Get ahead the crowd so you find your own hand-select rifle. Call the day before to make sure the store is open.

p.s. I never been to the CMP store(north or south), but just quoting some advices from CMP forum. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom