• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visit to USS Constitution. Carry?

Spending the day in Boston with the family tomorrow and plan to visit Old Ironsides. I usually carry when going into Boston but was concerned about carrying when visiting the USS Constitution.

Check this link: http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/VisitorInformation.htm

Notice that the policy mentions ILLEGAL weapons. Would you expect a problem with a legally owned and carried firearm? I'm not sure how to handle this. I am very good at the first C of CCW and not even my wife and kids know that I carry, so I'd like to keep things that way. At this point I'm leaning towards going unarmed. Any experience here?

I was there on Tuesday for the Sox game and walked all over Boston. It states no weapons when trying to get in, but there is no detector or search, so I guess its your call. Charelstownis a good area. My 1911 was with me all the way, except for the game.

I'd be careful. The Constitution is still a commissioned warship.

When I was in the Navy, private firearms were definitely not allowed onboard.

When we visited the JFK when it was in town, they were VERY strict about weapons. They took Tana's 1" swiss army knife off her keychain.

The US Navy won't have any sense of humor over this, so I suggest keeping it "off site" of the Ship.

Sorry, but MGLs are irrelevant here.

I've been there a bunch. They wand you before you go on the ship and paw through any bags. It is also a Navy yard so it is a Federal Reservation.

The USS Constitution's still an active Naval warship, so don't bring a weapon aboard. Very, very bad. And it's a DHS area (high profile target) so you may get in big trouble.

Federal Park. No weapons.
There is Navy guards, civilian security, and federal police.
I almost had my folder taken while there with the cub scouts last month.
I asked one swabby while I was in line what I should do if I thought my knife had a blade over 2.5 inches. He said I would be ejected from the park.
I told him that was pretty harsh as we were with the scouts, already in line, and were there to have our flag raised over the ship.
He more or less stated it wasn't his problem.
Then I asked about an amnesty box and he said no.
I declared my knife just as we went through screening and you would have thought I had a gun. It was like the keystone kops. Each one (Navy, Fed cops, and civilian security)was trying to get a better view of my knife. Finally a park policeman opened it up and laid it across his hand and then handed it back.
I measured it at home and it was actually over length but I lucked out.
18 years of federal service (US Army) and I almost had my knife taken away.
Now had I been some Jihadist, I could have hopped over the line and made it to the ship before that tub o' lard civilian security dope even had the fat out of the way of his holster to draw his 9.
Leave your guns at home for sure.

Back
Top Bottom