Village Gun Shop Northborough

I drove by there Monday and saw they are closed. Anybody know what happened? I tried to post this in the dealer's section, but it would not let me.

Thanks.

They actually closed a couple years ago. I guess they are still in business, they just do not have a retail store any more. The place had mixed reviews, but I usually had good experiences while in there. Got a great deal on a 686P when they closed. $225 out the door.

I'm sure others on this board know more then I, but it's to bad they closed. Now The Gun Room is the only place local to that area and they have really bad prices.

Yeah, the Gun Room is pretty much it for me also. The former "Neverfail" in West Boylston (the last name escapes me) also closed. Also, Dicks has some stuff, but they don't even have pistol cleaning stuff! There is a "DG" in Cherry Valley, but that is I think mostly archery. Otherwise, Klem's has also stopped selling stuff if I remember right. The next closest would be Webster or Belchertown. I guess there is a guy in West Boylston (Wayne?), but I have never been there.

Anybody want to open a gun shop in Worcester area, preferably the West side? ;-)

I drove by there Monday and saw they are closed. Anybody know what happened? I tried to post this in the dealer's section, but it would not let me.
Thanks.

And that is a good thing too!

Dealers forum is for PAID DEALERS ONLY!

Gun Shops forum is where this belongs and you could have posted it there. I am moving it.

As others stated, Peter Dowd retired from the day-to-day retail gun shop business. He runs his bonded warehouse, buys/sells estate guns, etc. Realize that Peter is well into his 70s I would guess and probably decided both politically and personally to slow down.

I've been hitting the Walmart in Northborough for ammo and cleaning supplies and if I feel like a ride, I head over to Northeast Trading Post in North Attleboro. They have a good selection of ammo and firearms most times. I've heard that Zenks in Northborough is worth checking out, but I have yet to get there. Next time I'm over that way I'm going to stop in.

You know it's funny you ask about opening a place up in the Worcester area. I did some minor (very minor) research and came up with that if you are going to start even a modest gun store you need around $250,000 in capital to get a place, insurance, security and a supply of gun store equipment, ammo and firearms. You could do it for less, but I don't think a skimpily equiped place will attract repeat customers once you open. Plus you'd have to put out some of that cash prior to getting your FFL. No guarentees you'll even get it.

I'd love to start one. But, I'm thinking that I should probably work part time in one before taking the plunge. Hummmm, I don'tl ive that far from Zenks. I should see if he needs any help.

Anybody want to open a gun shop in Worcester area, preferably the West side? ;-)
Klem's does still sell shooting supplies... a few long guns, decent long gun ammo and odd handgun ammo but a good stock on cleaning supplies. The best bet for ammo is Wal-Mart is West Boylston. If you go on the weekends the clerk looks almost exactly like Ted Nugent but he is a huge help even if it means going out back. Wal-Mart in Oxford and Sturbridge are pretty useless when it comes to ammo.

Yeah, but the Walmarts don't sell guns any more, and are good for a box of .22's and that is about it. Yeah, that guy DOES look like Ted Nugent. I think he plays it up also. He is kind of a pip though.

The best bet for ammo is Wal-Mart is West Boylston. If you go on the weekends the clerk looks almost exactly like Ted Nugent but he is a huge help even if it means going out back.

That guy was a complete dick to me. I will never go back there for ammo... [thinking]

I noticed a donation by the Village Gun Shop on the GOAL raffle and saw a brand new sign put up as I drove past it today. Anyone know what's up? Are they reopening?

INTERNET ONLY!!!!!!!!

Last year ,i saw a great great deal and called! He told me internet sales only and no you can't come to my shop. Ill bring your stuff to Calllahahs if, you wish to purchase.It will be 25.00 to deliver to callys. Not worth it after ,i pay delivery and transfer cost.........[angry] and fuel ....

I've bought through Callaghan's, AND I've purchased from him directly. I suspect that he only let me come to the shop because I'd already purchased one gun from him.

Thanks.

They are still open but by Appointment only 508-366-1999

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the Gun Room is pretty much it for me also. The former "Neverfail" in West Boylston (the last name escapes me) also closed. Also, Dicks has some stuff, but they don't even have pistol cleaning stuff! There is a "DG" in Cherry Valley, but that is I think mostly archery. Otherwise, Klem's has also stopped selling stuff if I remember right. The next closest would be Webster or Belchertown. I guess there is a guy in West Boylston (Wayne?), but I have never been there.

Wayne's in west boylston is awesome. Great guy and has a big ol sand pit behind the shop you can shoot in.

Back
Top Bottom