Vihta Vuori Powder ??

VV powders tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to find than the mainstay brands of Winchester, Hodgon, Alliant IMR and even AA. The powders are generally regarded as a premium product, with N320 being a very popular powder for USPSA/IPSC use in 40 S&W, although I use Hodgon Titegroup (easier availability, cheaper, and I'm not good enough to tell the difference when shooting). The VV 3N38 power is regarded by some as being without equal for use in 38 super, particularly if you have a bunch-o-ports in the barrel.

In addition to the high price, VV powders come in annoyingly small containers - the largest container I've seen is 4lbs.

The MSDS indicates that VV powders are single base (nitrocelluose), with this exception of N500 which is double base (nitrocelluose + nitroglycerine).

The only place I've seen VV powders being sold "over the counter" was at USPSA or IPSC matches where the vendors knew VV powders would be a big seller. If your gun shop is the kind of place that puts the price tag on boxes of 1,000 primers instead of on cases of 5,000 it probably doesn't have the kind of client base necessary to support VV powders. Four Seasons doesn't even have this stuff :).

Last edited:
Vihta Vuori Powder??

Wow thanks Rob that was a wealth of information, i appreciate the quick
response to my question!! again i asked the right question on the right
forum, thanks again!! S.D.

Vihtavouri is in short supply just about eveywhere. From what I have heard it ships into the USA only a couple of times per year. Right now everyone is expecting that a shipping container will arrive in February (that is the latest estimate it was due months ago). Then the big supprise is: what powders did VV decide to send.

I hear VV is good stuff and would like to try some this year. I would like to get my hands on some N320 for my 45s.

I`ve loaded several of the VV powders and had good luck with all. It is all short stick and since I load on a Dillon I use very little of it as I much prefer ball powders when they work for my loads.

VihtaVuori powder.

There is new ones "Tin Star" / N-32C Cowboy Action Shooters powder. It has low bulk density ( less free space in the case ) and burns very clean. Burning rate between N-320 and N-330. I like to use "Tin Star" with my silencer loads for .308Win and .357 Rem Maximum.

Kauko

Back
Top Bottom