Veteran's graves flag replacement

It's usually a few weeks before memorial day that the local veterans group holds a volunteer cleanup of veterans graves. You walk around with new flags and replace the old ones on veterans graves. It's a simple but also very humbling experience to give these men the respect they deserve. I use to do this every year when I was younger, but lately college finals and ultimately graduation always fell on the same day as the cleanup. This year I have more free time and am making it a point to be there tomorrow; Bellevue cemetery in Lawrence from 9am-noon. I don't know if this is done elsewhere, but call your local veteran organization and see if they need help replacing the flags. It only takes a few hours of your time and is a great way of honoring our veterans.

Thank you for spending your time honoring our deceased veteran's by placing a flag at each of their burial sites. As a young girl, my dad would haul all eight of us in the back of the family station wagon to visit the grave sites on Memorial Day. One year, the youngest two children, aged 3 and 4, removed a flag each from a nearby grave and proceeded to march around as if they were on parade. My dad hit the sky! We all got an earful about honoring the graves of the dead, especially the deceased veterans, many of whom fought for and died while serving under the flag. None of us forgot his words, scolding the offenders and schooling the rest of us. I went to my parents grave site today to clean up and place the flag. As I placed the flag, I took a moment to reflect on my dad's words, spoken so many years ago. It is an honor to perform the ritual of placing the flag on veteran's graves. Thank you to all who participate.
Best regards.

My son is a Boy Scout and it is one of the traditions they honor.
They reverently remove old flags, and install new ones.
It is a very special tribute to those that gave all.

Back
Top Bottom