Versus + and -

SAV

I only recently started to watch it, but find it a good way to see deer behavior and the gear these guys use. I try to ignore the dream bucks they are hunting on these preserves from $1000 blinds.

They shy away from showing the messy parts. I was taught to immediately gut it. Are they doing that? They seem to drag it away intact. Is there a rule of thumb regarding shot placement or temperature?

the reason they don't field dress it is because on most of these ranches they have their own shops/places on the ranch where they do it. they just take them back to the camp, show them off and they do the rest right there. Some are gutting it right away and just don't show it, once in awhile you can catch a glimpse of a gutted one.

i don't know about a rule of thumb but i was taught to gut it as soon as possible because

1) the deer will start to bloat and stiffen up

2) you need to cool down the meat - heat starts the rotting process quicker, specially at the beginning of the hunting season

3) makes less weight carrying it out of the field

versus is a great resource for new hunters - which i consider myself. they do show a lot of fancy equipment that is nice to have but not always needed.

I have certain small spots I drag my deer out ungutted as I do not want to lure the coyotes in to those areas and push the deer out.

I got my two last year on private property where the owners wanted them gutted elsewhere as they had a dog. Remember the pictures of the trunk of my Camry?!?! I need a truck, but this year they are going on top of the trunk!

Back
Top Bottom