Vermont Woman Uses Her Son’s Obituary To Push Gun Control

Vermont Woman Uses Her Son's Obituary To Push Gun Control

Alyssa Black did not expect her son’s obituary to receive attention beyond his loved ones.

“None of this was our intention,” she said of the obituary, which sparked intense conversations around gun control.

Andrew Black, who died by suicide on Dec. 6, purchased a firearm and used it to take his own life within a few hours, according to his father. The obituary ended with a request: For those who feel compelled, lobby for a wait period in between the purchase and possession of a firearm to honor Andrew’s memory.

Vermont currently has no wait period.
(from the Burlington Free Press linked in the article)

Vermont legislators receive calls from constituents
Rep. Elizabeth "Betsy" Dunn (D) supports the suggested three-day waiting period. She said several of her constituents reached out about implementing the change into Vermont law, some having lost loved ones to suicide.

Rep. Dylan Giambatista (D) said he received more emails in a short period of time than is typically seen outside of the legislative session. Some reached out to him on Facebook as well.

"I expect that there could be a debate in the coming legislative session," he said.

Rep. Linda Myers (R) said she received two emails regarding the waiting period. She plans to give the issue serious consideration.

Sen. Christopher Pearson (P/D) estimated he received between three to six emails on the waiting period issue. He has expressed support for it in the past and will continue to do so.

WTF???? I thought Libtards were all about it "being MY body"? Link a 3 day waiting period for abortion to the 3 day waiting period for a gun purchase and watch the liberal asswipe's heads explode!
That's an awesome point. Or, make them wait 3 days after registering to vote before being able to do so. Then they'll find out what it's like when they have to make the 4 hour trip from out-of-state twice to exercise a right....

Maybe she should have spent this kind of effort being a better mother and being in touch with her sons mental state, perhaps it could have been avoided?
Bite me.

After 31 years of military and corrections, no one was more trained in suicide warning signs than I was. Except maybe my oldest son, who had just spent three years working in an Army hospital psych unit after a combat tour as a medic, but he didn't see it coming either.

October 7, 2014, my 19 year old son left the house sometime after midnight. He carried three knives, crossed two major highways with heavy truck traffic, and a couple of bridges high enough for a fatal leap.

Sometime around dawn, he fatally shot himself with my .38 revolver.

But f*** me for being a bad parent, eh?

I feel sorry for the family. Suicide doesn't end pain, it just passes it on to those you leave behind.

That being said, a right delayed is a right denied, so how can you be in favor of delaying someone from practicing their civil rights and still consider yourself to be upholding your oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution?

There are Doctors out there explaining that anti-depressants like xanax are worse than opiods in that they are more addictive and they cause greater depression swings (up/down). I feel bad for their loss or anyone who has lost someone to depression but the gun is not the issue. I believe the issue falls on the over medication of everyone in our society and when the pills don't work as expected the blame is turned to the method or tool that was used to fix their pain and not the other underlying issues.

KBCraig, I’m very sorry for your loss.

Thoughts leading to those actions are a dark passenger that many good people are saddled with and they frequently endure them alone.

If someone really wants to end their life there isn't anything you can do about it. There won't be any clues. I had a work friend who saved some of her husbands cancer meds after he died. She planned it out and killed her self 2 years later on their anniversary. She had even asked another friend to look for something she wanted at the outlet mall when she went that evening. The only thing in hindsight was that she seemed happier and calmer in the days prior to her suicide. She left notes explaining everything and apologized to those left behind.

Family and friends always beat themselves up about what they missed or what could have changed the out come. The fact is if someone really wants to do it they will find a way.

Do you have children? Do you know how hard this is to determine?

Chris

Yes and Yes Chris.... and I've already posted since that with an apology to another member. I have 4 kids, they are all adults, educated, professional, and doing quite well, thanks for asking! There is no substitution for spending time with your kids, the key word being time and the wife and I spent a lot of it with ours. You really get to know them that way, just saying

I prefer to see "In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to Comm2a".

As to trying to blame someone - anyone - for a person's suicide, that is ridiculous except, perhaps, in the case of Michelle Carter.

Bite me.

After 31 years of military and corrections, no one was more trained in suicide warning signs than I was. Except maybe my oldest son, who had just spent three years working in an Army hospital psych unit after a combat tour as a medic, but he didn't see it coming either.

October 7, 2014, my 19 year old son left the house sometime after midnight. He carried three knives, crossed two major highways with heavy truck traffic, and a couple of bridges high enough for a fatal leap.

Sometime around dawn, he fatally shot himself with my .38 revolver.

But f*** me for being a bad parent, eh?
Not at all.

I prefer to see "In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to Comm2a".

As to trying to blame someone - anyone - for a person's suicide, that is ridiculous except, perhaps, in the case of Michelle Carter.
My sons doctor didn't inform us she was putting my son on a drug that wasn't supposed to be prescribed for under 25 years. She didn't pull the trigger but she did murder my son.

My son killed himself with his 1911. I'm pro gun. Anti doctor, anti psych drugs. That bitch can pound sand. He had his 1911 si ce he was 16. It wasn't the gun. It was the fn medical system with the poison they pedal.
i'm so sorry, lip.

Family and friends always beat themselves up about what they missed or what could have changed the out come. The fact is if someone really wants to do it they will find a way.
yes. and also not only find a way, but show no tell tale signs at all. this last part is what drives surviving family and friends mad while they keep trying to figure out what signs they missed.

I'm drunk so I'll probably get trolled for this. I'm good with waiting periods. In nh Im usually to lazy to wait around so I just come back the next day. However repeal the nfa, they want waiting periods I want sbrs and FA. Fair is fair

I'm drunk so I'll probably get trolled for this. I'm good with waiting periods. In nh Im usually to lazy to wait around so I just come back the next day. However repeal the nfa, they want waiting periods I want sbrs and FA. Fair is fair
You shouldn't be fine with waiting periods. Today, they want you to wait 3 days for a gun. Tomorrow, they will want you to wait 3 days for ammo.

The day after tomorrow they will think of some other BS law like not allowing you to buy online or out of state ammo ... and so on.

The reason you shouldn't be fine with any more laws is because they snowball into something bigger.

And they will never trade a law like you say.

suicide sucks. Unfortunately removing the gun which is a tool will not prevent the inevitable. Two life long friends to that point in my life (mid 20's) committed suicide. Both hung themselves. Nobody saw it coming. There aren't always obvious signs. My daughter is in the 9th grade. last year a classmate of hers killed herself. Suicide knows no age or circumstance. Condolences to the family but the gun wasn't the issue.

In 2014 in MA there were 147 homicides, 328 MV deaths and 608 suicides.
Of the 608 suicides 51% were by hanging/ suffocation. 24% were with a firearm.
Nobody blames the rope and it is much more common a tool.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw17aEEjO4s5v3d7rnpW9hrt

GUTTMACHER DATA
Estimated Total Abortions (2014): 21,020
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 21,020 abortions took place in Massachusetts during 2014. In 2011, an estimated 24,030 abortions occured—compared with an estimated 24,900 in 2008 and 27,270 in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom