VA Process time for claims

CoastieRon

NES Member
Anyone here in NH and file a claim at the VA? I have an appointment with a NH VSO in March, and I'm trying to get a feel for the process/timeline.

It's a horrible shame that our Veterans have to wait this long just to schedule a damn appointment. Thank you for your service Ron.

Actually, I could have done this earlier. However, because I want to make this as smooth a process as possible, I gathered all of my records ahead of time, and had some former shipmates put statements together for me. I just finally got all of those things together.

I also wrestled with myself about actually doing it. My first thought has always been that a soldier, sailor or Marine coming back from overseas should always have precedence, and in more cases than not, need the service of the VA more than I do. But I decided it was finally time. It took a retired USAF Major to convince me to do it, to think of the benefits "not being for you, but your family".

As long as your honest there's nothing to feel bad about. I know too many people who have lied for benefits, which pisses me off to no end as it undoubtedly is why my friends who actually needed help had to fight for it. My claim was simple, and I actually didn't go in for compensation, I just wanted my hearing/back/knee issues documented. I was shocked when I got a rating even a small one, but it took about 6 months. My wife had more complicated issues, needed MRIs, TBI tests, etc, it took her over 2 years.

One thing to be mindful of is if you do happen to hit the 20% mark you hit the threshold for Chapter 31 Voc Rehab, which is basically the post 9/11 GI bill on steroids. This was the biggest benefit for me as a reservist because I didn't rate the post 9/11 GI bill in full despite having deployed. There are various organizations that can help you if you hit a wall.

Mike

I went in on Friday and filed with a VSO for a laundry list of stuff. Brought everything I had including buddy statements. VSO was impressed by my ninja organizational skills. Showed her everything I had, then gave her a DVD with everything she needed on it.

Had to request an inquiry from Kelly Ayotte's office because my medical records are "lost". She said the process is supposed to be at 90 days, but right now is running 120-160 days. I'm not particularly concerned.....

Had to request an inquiry from Kelly Ayotte's office because my medical records are "lost". She said the process is supposed to be at 90 days, but right now is running 120-160 days. I'm not particularly concerned.....

That's the biggest reason I keep a copy of everything in my 'official' medical record. I've seen too many of them lost, seen too many things taken out and shredded because it 'doesn't need to in there'.

My records have been found! They are confirmed Enroute to the Manchvegas VA. Which is just fantastic news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a few notes here.

I filed with a rep on 3/6. Claim filed with VA on 3/10. Appointments scheduled for 4/20 and 5/22 yesterday.

I have to wonder if the reason for the relative quickness of my claim are for any of the following reasons:

1. I did all of the work getting all of my records together and in order for them.
2. There just isn't a lot of people filing in NH.
3. Both

I've been keeping a journal of everything that I have done/they have done, including timelines, letters, etc, and will be submitting a "White Paper" to Kelly Ayotte's office when completed. Even with the apparent quick turn-around that I am seeing, the amount of disfunction and waste boggles my mind.

The reason for the quickness is both. That said, the actual decision part can take stupid amounts of time. The VA freequently goes beyond the "Estimated Completion Date".

I had a fairly simple claim, had all my paperwork assembled, worked with a veterans service rep, and kept copies of everything that was sent in. I got the usual "we lost your paperwork" and had to send in a second copy. Got my appointments within 4 months of filing, then waited another 10 months until a decision was made. They of course screwed up the claim and did not have my son on there as a dependant. Took another 6 months to get him on. The only good part was that it is all retroactive to the month that you filed.

A friend of mine, a retired Coastie, had a significant claim with several body parts and some mental health issues. It took well over 2 years to get his claim completed.

Good luck, brother!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The VA has instituted a new claims process called "fully developed claim". Basically it means you get all your ducks and docs in a row like Coastieron did and then the claim is submitted using the guide lines.All docs, records, verbal support from fellow service members, medical records etc. are submitted typically through a VSO, in Massachusetts there is one in every city and town. You will have given them POA to act on your behalf only with the VA and they will do all the correspondence and interaction with the VA. DO NOT respond to any VA letters or inquiries, let your VSO do that. If you respond to any thing from VA during a fully developed claim process it gets kicked into the slow lane and can take a year or more. At present theVA is aiming for <120 days to complete a FDC. They (VA) are trying but are flooded with a huge volume of new and old vets filing claims. They are all working for you, good luck and be patient. I am a VSO in my town and would be honored to help and or steer vets in the right direction.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The VA has instituted a new claims process called "fully developed claim". Basically it means you get all your ducks and docs in a row like Coastieron did and then the claim is submitted using the guide lines.All docs, records, verbal support from fellow service members, medical records etc. are submitted typically through a VSO, in Massachusetts there is one in every city and town. You will have given them POA to act on your behalf only with the VA and they will do all the correspondence and interaction with the VA. DO NOT respond to any VA letters or inquiries, let your VSO do that. If you respond to any thing from VA during a fully developed claim process it gets kicked into the slow lane and can take a year or more. At present theVA is aiming for <120 days to complete a FDC. They (VA) are trying but are flooded with a huge volume of new and old vets filing claims. They are all working for you, good luck and be patient. I am a VSO in my town and would be honored to help and or steer vets in the right direction.

This is fantastic. If there are folks on here that are on the fence or need help, ping this guy. I can't even begin to tell people how great it has been using a VSO and not going at this alone. I may have had an unfair advantage though. One of the girls that worked for me in the CG is a VSO in Pennsylvania, and I reached out to her first for guidance. She gave me a list of things to do, then told me once I was done with that list, to reach out to a NH VSO and make an appointment. When I walked into that appointment, I had everything except for my .mil medical records. I had those in my hands 20 days later.

I received a letter saying that my claim has been kicked out of the fully developed claim status because I added a claim 9 days after the initial filing. However, all of the records for that extra claim were submitted with the original claim. My new timeline in the eBenefits website is a bit out there:

Capture.JPG

As I said before, I have been keeping a running journal of everything, including screenshots in eBenefits, email correspondence, statements, etc. I even purchased a terabit portable hard drive to back everything, and have made copy cds that are now in my safe for "just in case".

One thing I have learned in this process so far is that some "shipmates" that you thought would help you with the buddy statements, will not. They will tell you they will write you a statement, then come up with every excuse not to. I'm not upset or anything, everyone deals with shit differently. I still had plenty of them ready to go.

I really am not too concerned with the timeline of rating, and don't even care if I get rated 0 on most of this, as long as it is not a "No Rating". My whole focus is being able to have an option for care when I am elderly, so I am not a burden on my children or wife.

Claims seem to be moving right along in NH. I'm at day 86 from my claim date now, and my claim is in the "Preparation for Decision" phase. I cannot say enough good things about the VSO that has been working my claim for me.

Day 104 since my claim was filed into the VA system, 108 since I sat down with a VSO to help me with my claim. Today, not even 2 hours after that last post, I was notified by my VSO that she was unofficially notifying me that I was being rated at 60%.

The process in NH is far quicker than in MA, as a "shipmate" of mine filed for pretty much all the same things I did, and was notified today as well. He started his claim in July of last year.......

My claim closed today. Final rating is 60% for a bunch of shit, and zeros for a bunch of other shit. I'll call that 108 days.

The NH process with a VSO is running faster than a lot of states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom