• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US to pay $145 million settlement for official ‘negligence’: 2017 mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas by Air Force vet Devin Patrick Kelley

Reptile

NES Member

US to pay $145 million settlement for official ‘negligence’​

Preventive action could have stopped a 2017 mass shooting by an ex-government employee, plaintiffs allege​

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) has agreed to shell out $144.5 million to settle a lawsuit claiming the government failed to share background information about a former Air Force serviceman who later killed 26 people in a shooting spree.

The DOJ announced the multi-million dollar settlement on Wednesday, saying it had reached an “agreement in principle” to end a civil case which arose from the November 2017 mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas by Air Force vet Devin Patrick Kelley.

“No words or amount of money can diminish the immense tragedy of the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs,” Associate US Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a statement. “Today’s announcement brings the litigation to a close, ending a painful chapter for the victims of this unthinkable crime.”

Yeah. I'd be happier about this if it was actually coming out of the guilty party's pocket, rather than off a government printing press.

The travesty occurred in 2021, when a federal judge found that the chair force was 60% responsible for the murders and the shooter was only 40% responsible.

Assuming lawyer fees are 50% what's that 2.5M per victim?

When was the last time the government shelled out that kind of money per person?

Assuming lawyer fees are 50% what's that 2.5M per victim?

When was the last time the government shelled out that kind of money per person?
The last time they spiked a vet with ptsd with a cocktail of mind bending drugs and gave him guns?

The USAF was undeniably negligent in failing to follow the law on reporting GCM sentences to the ATF. Undeniably.

I absolutely agree. But more culpable than the murderer? Really?

Then there’s the pesky matter of actual cause. Remember, we’re talking Texas here, where there are no restrictions on and no records required for private transactions between adults.

I submit to you that have to buy his guns privately would be neither a significant deterrent not a significant to his plans.

US to pay $145 million settlement for official ‘negligence’​

Preventive action could have stopped a 2017 mass shooting by an ex-government employee, plaintiffs allege​

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) has agreed to shell out $144.5 million to settle a lawsuit claiming the government failed to share background information about a former Air Force serviceman who later killed 26 people in a shooting spree.

The DOJ announced the multi-million dollar settlement on Wednesday, saying it had reached an “agreement in principle” to end a civil case which arose from the November 2017 mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas by Air Force vet Devin Patrick Kelley.

“No words or amount of money can diminish the immense tragedy of the mass shooting in Sutherland Springs,” Associate US Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a statement. “Today’s announcement brings the litigation to a close, ending a painful chapter for the victims of this unthinkable crime.”
So I find it funny. I read about this before you posted but from a different source. I find it interesting the article I read said the quiet part out loud

A judge ruled the government was partly liable for the massacre because had authorities properly reported Kelley’s 2012 arrest and court-martial for domestic violence, he would not have been able to acquire the weapons he used to massacre 26.

The government said he would have found another way to get a gun, court records reveal.

Back
Top Bottom