• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US military's new Optic, Vortex XM-157

pretty cool optic for sure. worth the 30 minutes to watch. american made glass made me sit up. but i don't remember them mentioning who manufactured it. thanks for putting this up, i never saw it before.

Sig already has something like this with their bdx system.
It's just a separate range finder that communicates with the scope pretty much instaniously

worth to give a brief synopsis:

The Vortex Optics NGSW-FC, dubbed the XM157, was designed and built with the needs of the current and future warfighter in mind. The XM157 - invented, designed and engineered entirely in-house at Vortex® Headquarters - is a Low Powered Variable Optic (LPVO) with a display overlay, Laser Rangefinder (LRF), ballistic solver, environmental sensors, aiming lasers, digital compass, and wireless communication to provide for seamless connectivity on the battlefield.

The XM157 is built around a 1-8x30 LPVO featuring a glass-etched reticle on lenses made entirely in the U.S. The XM157 weighs less than many traditional LPVOs with current weapon mounted LRFs and associated mounts and enables America’s servicemen and women to engage threats quickly and effectively.

Sounds like a lot of shit to fail when they need it most
What do you think they put on M4's today? Aimpoint, Eotech red dots with magnifiers or Nightforce or Leupold lpv/hpv optics, DBAL lasers, tactical lights, NV/Thermal optics, etc. The only difference is now the ballistics calculator and laser range finder is integrated into the optic via a data bus and attached unit. The optic will work regardless of the other piece since it's standard FFP etched reticle. Seems like a no-brainer to me given all the things this integrated unit provides are separate pieces of equipment today...

9e9.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of shit to fail when they need it most

All of my scoped weapons that have irons are set up in two parts. First the irons are setup and dialed in and then the scope is added and dialed in. That gives me a back up option so I am not dead in the water if the scope nites the dust for some reason.

All of my scoped weapons that have irons are set up in two parts. First the irons are setup and dialed in and then the scope is added and dialed in. That gives me a back up option so I am not dead in the water if the scope nites the dust for some reason.

This X10. All my rifles have back-up iron sights that are co-witnessed to the optic (red dot/holo) or off-set in the case of an HPVO with poor eye relief. For my HK G36, I plan on going with an LPVO like in the article, I just haven't decided which yet. For this, the BUIS will be co-witnessed and folded down during normal use, but easy enough to fold up and just put the optic on 1X to use. The other option is a quick detach mount for the LPVO, which I plan on using as an additional backup, but the reality is the best LPVO's are sturdy as hell and won't break. My Elcan Spectre is a damn tank and the Trijicon, Nightforce, Leupold, and Vortex I've looked at are all overbuilt as well.

I'm leaning towards this for my next LPVO for the G36...

Last edited:
This is not for our entire military. It’s for the Army. Marines have adopted a straight up 1x8 LVPO by Trijicon. Can’t wait to see the total weight of the Army’s Sig Spear with this new Vortex Optic, 20 round mag, sling, foregrip, IR and white light. Plus your load out.

I'm leaning towards this for my next LPVO for the G36...
it is not expensive enough, the vortex gen3 1-10x razor is $3.5K.

Back
Top Bottom