US Air Force Is Planning to Build a Super A-10 Warthog

Spotted by way of the FlightAware monthly newsletter (subscribe if you are interested in aviation! GREAT photos and insider news/comments.)

The Air Force is beginning to work on how fast, lethal, durable and capable a new “A-10”-like aircraft would need to be in order to provide U.S. military ground troops with effective close-air support for decades to come.
Senior service officials are now exploring “draft requirements” concepts – and evaluating the kind of avionics, engineering, weapons, armor and technical redundancy the aircraft would need, Air Force officials told Scout Warrior.

Many of the core technical attributes and combat advantages of the A-10 will be preserved and expanded upon with the new effort, officials said.

I don't know what gave me the chills more as it was flying towards me in the desert...an A-10 or an AH-64. Bad Ass machines both!

They are going to over engineer it, and it will never be able to take a beating like they old ones.
When or what was the last military plane that was designed that has not been plagued with problems.

Dean

I hate to say it but there is no way they can make a modern A-10. Iv heard stories of them having wings shot off and kept flying. I'm not sure why they pulled them out of use. They should just take our existing fleet and update them.

I hate to say it but there is no way they can make a modern A-10. Iv heard stories of them having wings shot off and kept flying. I'm not sure why they pulled them out of use. They should just take our existing fleet and update them.

They do, and have been updated. In the FlightAware discussion thread somebody noted that the wing root boxes (of those still flying) have been upgraded to extend airframe cycles, and I know from other sources new avionics and targeting systems have been incorporated.
GE has apparently been trying to sell the Air Force upgraded engines with 40% more thrust and 10% less fuel burn (also from the Flight Aware thread.)

http://flightaware.com/squawks/view...rce_Is_Planning_to_Build_a_Super_A_10_Warthog

The old one is getting old and is also rather underpowered.

The Air Force is actually talking about a low-high mix for close air support. At the low end would be a turboprop like the Tucano. At the high end would be this A-10 replacement.

I think they are smoking dope financially. I don't think there is any way they can fund two more programs.

The plane is an accessory for the gun, not the other way around [rockon]

a10d_zps37fbf183.jpg

I'm not sure why they pulled them out of use.

They haven't. Yet. But they've been trying. The reason is money and politics and has despite their contentions otherwise, has nothing to do with the A-10's capabilities. They've spent so much money on the F-35 that if they don't retire the A-10 it will be an admission the whole program and billions or trillions was a waste and a failure.

This.

But it's just so much more fun to spend a few hundred billion on new stuff that works great....on paper.

This. But it's just so much more fun to spend a few hundred billion on new stuff that works great....on paper.

The A-10 is old. Very old. The youngest A-10 is more than 30 years old. Fighter/attack aircraft don't have an infinite life. After a certain number of flight hours, they are pretty much done.

The A-10 is old. Very old. The youngest A-10 is more than 30 years old. Fighter/attack aircraft don't have an infinite life. After a certain number of flight hours, they are pretty much done.

Three words. B-52.

An aircraft is just a collection of spare parts flying in formation. AKA the ship of Theseus.

It would be a piece of cake to retrofit the A-10 fleet. Problem is there's not enough pork in a project like that.

A-10 Warthogs Could Serve Until 2040

That pretty much is it... a project worth only a few hundred million or less is not enough pork for those reps and senators involved. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Three words. B-52. An aircraft is just a collection of spare parts flying in formation. AKA the ship of Theseus. It would be a piece of cake to retrofit the A-10 fleet. Problem is there's not enough pork in a project like that. A-10 Warthogs Could Serve Until 2040

B-52 is very different. As a bomber, it rarely pulls any g's. The A-10 pulls a fair number of g's.

All airframes have a limited life span. Once you get near it, you either tear the aircraft down completely and start replacing main structural elements like wing spars, or the start coming apart in mid-air like some of our F-15cs.

They are going to over engineer it, and it will never be able to take a beating like they old ones.
When or what was the last military plane that was designed that has not been plagued with problems.

Dean

I'd have to say the transition from the F/-18 Hornet to the Super Hornet was an upgrade that went very well with only minimal issue and a significant upgrade from the original version. Not all upgrades have to be an issue if it's done right to fix issues the original model has.

Yes and make a ton more, just like the old one.

The F/A-18 initially had its share of issues. The E/F is a major redesign from the C/D.

Seems I missed this by a few seconds. I was involved in the migration of my squadron from F4s, to F/A-18C to F/A-18E and it was a very good improvement each time. Now to say that the C/D version had their share of issues is a huge understatement. Stabilizer slap, cracked engine mounts and faulty wiring harnesses in the wings were just the start of the fun. Though it was night and day coming from F4s, which were basically held together with duct tape and baked on hydraulic fluid.

Back
Top Bottom