(update post #31) aimpoint PRO battery dead, after 6 months?

Rick1987

NES Member
i got a Aimpoint PRO from the group buy we had during the summer.

after the range i usually turn the optic off. last weekend i went shooting and left the optic on. brightness setting 8. today i went to the range and the battery was dead.

i am awaiting a email from Aimpoint.

has anyone else had battery life problems with Aimpoint? its suppose to last 3 years continuous use on level 7. right?

it was one of the reasons i purchased this over the eotech

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right but Aimpoint does stand by their stuff from my experience with them anyway.

I left mine on by accident when i put my rifle away last Oct. and seems to function fine, dot still bright at highest settings. I had mine on at 4 or 5 I think. So we'll see about that 3 year mark. Update us when they reply.

will do. i would expect there customer service is very good.

i will probably hear from them monday.

bought 2 new batteries from radio shack, at $13 a piece! holy cow!

Their service is good.
I have left their optics on by mistake and I still have yet to replace any battery in any of them.
I do however have at least 1 spare battery for each one just in case.

I've barely used mine since I got it in the same group buy. Last week I pulled out my AR and it seemed as though the red dot was a lot weaker, even at the Max setting. Subscribed, to hear your result with Aimpoint...

ETA: I shut the optic off when not in use.

-JR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've barely used mine since I got it in the same group buy. Last week I pulled out my AR and it seemed as though the red dot was a lot weaker, even at the Max setting. Subscribed, to hear your result with Aimpoint...

-JR

HMmmmmmmm.. I guess it wasn't my imagination. Mind seemed a bit week at the pumkin shoot even on the highest setting. Gonna have to check it.

-JR

Me too. Replacement battery still seems weaker, too.

Wow, glad I held out. I am thinking about saving the money and going for a T-1 or M4s.

I am thinking it was a bad run of sights or something.

I wonder if Atmay or any of the guys who have had these for a longer period of time have seen the same issue(s).

-Mike

bought 2 new batteries from radio shack, at $13 a piece! holy cow!
Don't set foot in a B&M store for batteries again. I've learned that lesson.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-dl13nb.html

That's them, right? $3.99 each, at the time of this posting. I got burned a couple times buying 2 packs of CR-123s until I actually shopped online. Just make sure you stick with the major brands and don't buy the more "questionable" stuff. Last thing you want is crap quality batteries leaking inside your $400 optic.

The long life of the Aimpoint sounded like a great selling point.

I wonder if people have been using lesser batteries.

I look forward to hearing an update on this post.

Aimpoint makes great optics.

When they're left on constantly at higher settings, the batteries die after about 8 months.

The marketing schtick is based on leaving one on at the lowest setting forever.

If you're basing your optic purchasing decision on battery life, you're an idiot.

Ok, I would not base an optic purchase on battery life.

I just thought it was cool that it would last so long.[grin]

When you own battery powered things that are important to you (waiting for sexual toys comments), $9.99 multimeter is very useful to know for sure the state of your batteries and replace them when needed.

I've left mine turned on 24/7 ever since I got it last summer. Its still going fine. I think its on setting 6 or 7. Replacement batteries can be found online for $3-$4 each.

Aimpoint makes great optics.

When they're left on constantly at higher settings, the batteries die after about 8 months.

The marketing schtick is based on leaving one on at the lowest setting forever.

If you're basing your optic purchasing decision on battery life, you're an idiot.

While all of this is true, if people are replacing the batteries and not getting full brightness (unless I'm reading their posts wrong, more specifically #5 and #8... ) then something is definitely wrong with the sights. I'm sure Aimpoint will make good on them, though.

-Mike

I've left mine turned on 24/7 ever since I got it last summer. Its still going fine. I think its on setting 6 or 7. Replacement batteries can be found online for $3-$4 each.

Ok well I have a problem then.

I would say I have less than 750 hours on mine.

Maybe you got some bad battery? Battery life is all depend on temperature. How can you prove if you left the device powered on for certain hours? Aimpoint device do not tract the usage hours. It's really not the manufacturer fault, but rather than owner error.

So, you got a bad battery. It's only cost a few $ to replace the battery. Just replace the battery and it's good to go. I've just replaced the battery from my aimpoint since I forgot to turn off.

Vise verse, if the new battery continue to drain out, contact the manufacturer immediately.

To say I used it less than 750 hours.

20 trips to the range @ 3 hours = 60 hours. (I think I've brought the AR to the range between 10-15 times.

One week constant on= 168 hours

I usually never have it on level 10, usually between 7-9.

Battery was a new Duracell DN1/3N 3v

I tend to have horrible luck with batteries. at least 1/2 the time i buy batteries, they are junk right out of the package. I have stuck to buying the most expensive Energizers they make and have no issues with those. Other than that, any brand, any store..... yeah i don't bet on it.

I'm betting it's a junk battery issue more than it is a bad Aimpoint.

I tend to have horrible luck with batteries. at least 1/2 the time i buy batteries, they are junk right out of the package. I have stuck to buying the most expensive Energizers they make and have no issues with those. Other than that, any brand, any store..... yeah i don't bet on it.

I'm betting it's a junk battery issue more than it is a bad Aimpoint.

I assumed this was my problem.

checked mine from the group buy and it is still bright as the day I got it. I've had times where I've left it on and times where I've turned it off

I got my PRO on the first or second order of that group buy last spring and it is still fine. I also shut it off after every range trip.

Those.

Mine is from the first order for sure, since i helped put together that group buy. i checked it this afternoon, still bright as the day i got it, and i turn it off when not in use.

When you own battery powered things that are important to you (waiting for sexual toys comments), $9.99 multimeter is very useful to know for sure the state of your batteries and replace them when needed.
A multimeter, while being slightly more useful on lithium batteries, is next to useless for gauging the state of charge.
Most primary (non-rechargable) cells show very little change in terminal voltage until a load is placed on them - this is how battery testers work , they are simply a meter with a small load across it.

A meter and a 10 ohm resistor (not for 9 volts!) will give you charge condition - or simply get a $10 battery tester.

I do agree that most homeowners should have a multimeter in their tool kit, along with a basic knowlege of ohms law.

Aaron

Last edited:
talked to Aimpoint today.

I am leaning to a bum battery. the rep told me they had no returns because of battery life, only broken mounts.

he also said that leaving the optic on the highest level will kill the battery in about one month.

level seven will last 3 years.

he also recommended Duracell DL1/3N batteries.

so from this day on i will leave the sight on level 7 and see how long it lasts.

Back
Top Bottom