(update post #31) aimpoint PRO battery dead, after 6 months?

talked to Aimpoint today.

I am leaning to a bum battery. the rep told me they had no returns because of battery life, only broken mounts.

he also said that leaving the optic on the highest level will kill the battery in about one month.

level seven will last 3 years.

he also recommended Duracell DL1/3N batteries.

so from this day on i will leave the sight on level 7 and see how long it lasts.

Just curious, why would you want to do this. Is it to prove to yourself (or us), Aimpoint's claims are accurate? Or is it something that you need to do for other reasons. I would be worried about other components failing (electronics, led's, etc) because of this test. I know modern equipment like this is usually very robust, but why tempt fate?

Just curious, why would you want to do this. Is it to prove to yourself (or us), Aimpoint's claims are accurate? Or is it something that you need to do for other reasons. I would be worried about other components failing (electronics, led's, etc) because of this test. I know modern equipment like this is usually very robust, but why tempt fate?

I think the only reason for leaving it turned on would be the same reason people advocate keeping a home defense firearm loaded at all times. Its one less action to perform before the firearm is ready for immediate use. I guess it all depends if the owner considers what the Aimpoint is mounted on to be a range toy or a home defense firearm.

i want to make sure i dont have a defective unit.

its a $400+ optic, if something is wrong i want it fixed. and these optics dont have a lifetime warrenty.

I think the only reason for leaving it turned on would be the same reason people advocate keeping a home defense firearm loaded at all times. Its one less action to perform before the firearm is ready for immediate use. I guess it all depends if the owner considers what the Aimpoint is mounted on to be a range toy or a home defense firearm.

Realistically, how many people in MA keep an AR "at the ready"? Turning an Aimpoint on, is not terribly time consuming. If someone is charging your foxhole, and you have seconds, shoulder your weapon, aim and fire! If you need it at home, you need to retrieve it from the safe first (or at the least, unlock the trigger lock). A quick turn of the knob doesn't add much time.

Realistically, how many people in MA keep an AR "at the ready"? Turning an Aimpoint on, is not terribly time consuming. If someone is charging your foxhole, and you have seconds, shoulder your weapon, aim and fire! If you need it at home, you need to retrieve it from the safe first (or at the least, unlock the trigger lock). A quick turn of the knob doesn't add much time.

If I lived in NH I'd have a loaded rifle hanging on the wall right near where I'm typing this. I don't do it in MA only because it's too much of a pain in the ass to lock it up constantly....

-Mike

Don't set foot in a B&M store for batteries again. I've learned that lesson.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-dl13nb.html

That's them, right? $3.99 each, at the time of this posting. I got burned a couple times buying 2 packs of CR-123s until I actually shopped online. Just make sure you stick with the major brands and don't buy the more "questionable" stuff. Last thing you want is crap quality batteries leaking inside your $400 optic.

Thanks for this link. I just pulled an envelope full of Energizer button-cells out of my mailbox, 3 days after placing an order. My red dots should be set for many years. These guys are great.

I feel I have a much better chance of hitting a target at close range with a carbine then a pistol. It also solves the problem of reaching anything in the yard. Also, it would seem that 556 in particular will not penetrate drywall as effectively as many handgun rounds. All in all it is certainly not a bad choice for home defense.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I feel I have a much better chance of hitting a target at close range with a carbine then a pistol. It also solves the problem of reaching anything in the yard. Also, it would seem that 556 in particular will not penetrate drywall as effectively as many handgun rounds. All in all it is certainly not a bad choice for home defense.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

But it doesn't sound like a shotgun.

I have a little MP3 player with a speaker mounted to my quad rail. I can hit the button to get various 12ga racking sounds.

Man that's old school.

I have an app for that.

My magpul iPhone case mounts right to the quad rail.

I also have a flashlight app that has a strobe setting that I can make blue and red so it looks like the cops are coming!

Back
Top Bottom