UPDATE!!Albanian SKS

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Well I have to blame somebody, I received a PM from 40 caliber about some Albanian SKS's that were in stock from one of the larger dealers. At first I said I couldn't do it. I had just spent a ton of cash lately on .....well a few toys. Then....a little voice in my head said, you only have one Albanian SKS , so I ordered one.

I just cant help myself. [wink]

As soon as it arrives I will post some pictures.

Well the rifle arrived today....it is JUNK!!!![puke]

I was told they are all like that or worse, rusted parts, pitting, just plain junk. Its going back today.

Last edited:
i have an sks. but i don't love it. just got it to honor my father who was carrying an SKS while in service. somehow it didn't live up to my expectations. don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun, i just didn't fall in love with it. i love my SVT-40 sniper much better though. oh well...

DSCN2410.JPG DSCN2407.JPG DSCN2399.JPG DSCN2400.JPG DSCN2404.JPG

Last edited:
i have an sks. but i don't love it. just got it to honor my father who was carrying an SKS while in service. somehow it didn't live up to my expectations. don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun, i just didn't fall in love with it. i love my SVT-40 sniper much better though. oh well...

View attachment 39860View attachment 39861View attachment 39862View attachment 39863View attachment 39864

That is one hell of a scope mount. I have a SVT-38 and a SVT-40. I tried an aftermarket scope mount and never could get the results I hoped for. Sold it, except the original Russian scope[wink]
I actually find the open iron sights very nice.

A SKS is a nice 30 caliber rifle which is very dependable. The SVT had its issues while in service. One was stocks cracking under the recoil. Using arctic birch just didn't hold up. Gee I wonder why, 147 grain bullet is a heck of a round. I did see a guy at the club I used to belong to shoot 230 grain soft point hunting ammo with his SVT and I tried to tell him they were not designed for that heavy of a bullet. He did OK for a few months then the entire bolt and carrier cracked in several places. The real shame was it was a pristine rifle.

I saw those for sale too...still debating a purchase. I need an SKS

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Go for it Buddy, Albanians don't show up all that often, also if you receive a bad one you can send it back for another...[smile]

I saw those for sale too...still debating a purchase. I need an SKS

Fred speaks the truth!! Don't wait on this one. they are more rare than Russians. Russians do have a better following though. After ordering mine, I sent a PM to Fred. (sorry Fred, ordered mine first).

A different distributor (about 2 years ago) emailed their customers that they were selling Albanians. The email was 10 minutes old. They were completely sold out by time I got there.

Mine with handpick was $379 out the door. When mine arrives, I will also post pics. With Yugos going near/at that price, you are crazy not to get one. They are unique in the SKS world. bayo like a chinese, mag well shaped different, 2 holes in the butt stock(instead of 1) for cleaning kits and whatever, longer handguards,

I just picked up from another board they only have 200 in stock. Not sure where they came from, but doubt they will last long.

only your second fred? get with the program! this will be my 4th Alby, yes, I do have a thing for SKSs. Each to his own D-Mike!
They rarely if ever jam, shoot very straight, ammo is available and cheap for a milsurp (and not corrosive!). There are so many variations they can be fun to collect. and oh yes, Since I started buying only 2 years ago, they are still going up in price faster than the stock market or any CD!

Here is an alby I picked up from an NESr

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Last edited:
The thing about Alby SKS rifles is that while they're some of the worst built models, they are also some of the hardest to get because of so few having survived and so few imported.

I believe that birch was only used much later and beech is what was common ... [thinking]

You are correct my friend, however both were to weak to handle the rapid fire of such a heavy load. If you notice most have repairs to the stocks where they were weaken or cracked.

Also 40 caliber, 2 Albanians, not just 2 SKS's. I can honestly say I would have to count them to give you a total..I know that's bad but I have been buying milsurps for close to 30 years. It gets hard to remember what you have. I could pull up my excel spread sheet with my inventory been then I just want to fill in any holes of models I don't have......yes I am addicted[smile][smile][smile]

come on ray! you got to love the ugly duckling! [laugh]

Never said I didn't like them. If I had the cash I'd have ordered one but I've been broke lately.[sad]

I just know from what I've read and experienced that they're some of the worst built SKS rifles. I've had some that the receiver cover latch would fly up when firing, gas tubes were loose, etc. They're just poorly built rifles and are considered at the bottom when it comes to SKS quality. They look neat though because of the handguard and magwell but the only reason they get top dollar is because most were destroyed, not a lot were imported and only a handful pop up now and then with. Also the documentation of what numbers were produced and are rumored to exist is out there so that drives up the price on certain years.

Never said I didn't like them. If I had the cash I'd have ordered one but I've been broke lately.[sad]

I just know from what I've read and experienced that they're some of the worst built SKS rifles. I've had some that the receiver cover latch would fly up when firing, gas tubes were loose, etc. They're just poorly built rifles and are considered at the bottom when it comes to SKS quality. They look neat though because of the handguard and magwell but the only reason they get top dollar is because most were destroyed, not a lot were imported and only a handful pop up now and then with. Also the documentation of what numbers were produced and are rumored to exist is out there so that drives up the price on certain years.

yes, just busting on you. I just could not believe ,, Disparaging remarks on an SKS? [wink] I actually agree. the Albys are the most tempermental as least quality of the lot. what is your opinion on best quality? (that could be another Thread couldn't it?). some say the russians. some say Yugo. I still don't have a chinese so i can't say yet. [frown]

Yes Fred, I know you were refering to Albys and only having 2. I was refering to only alby's as well. I dont have a gun room like you. I have 2 medium size safes. The second safe is on the verge of being called the SKS safe [rolleyes]

Go for it Buddy, Albanians don't show up all that often, also if you receive a bad one you can send it back for another...[smile]

I want one...but I'm on a serious debt elimination kick right now. Prob no non-cash purchases til end of next year. :(

Ever since we confiscated an SVT from that Iraqi guy with $100,000 american during deployment, I have wanted one... sexy, and it was just so comfortable to hold... SKS is similar to an SVT-40?

Ever since we confiscated an SVT from that Iraqi guy with $100,000 american during deployment, I have wanted one... sexy, and it was just so comfortable to hold... SKS is similar to an SVT-40?

An SVT is not like an SKS in many ways. Much larger rifle and a MUCH larger round. SKS has an internal magazine while an SVT has a detectable magazine. many other differences such as the bolt design etc. They are nice rifles. I love my Tula that I picked up at the Marlboro show a few years back.( some folks say I stole it)
I also love my Hakims. An Egyptian 8mm semi auto. One hell of a rifle and the ones I own are very accurate out to 200 yards.

don't rub it in martin. This rifle was in such bad shape I asked the seller why didn't you advertise fair condition. Got the usual we don't know until we box them up to ship. The end of the barrel was so rusted flakes of it fell off when I pulled it out of the box. The stock had trench art and was cracked by the tang, the entire length of the barrel was pitted and rusted and where the barrel meets the receiver it was as if it has sat in salt water. JUNK!!!!!

I am ok now, I just found a pristine Beretta 92FS for less than what I paid for that piece of crap. Also it cost me 30 bucks to send it back..do I need another Beretta, no but it made me feel better to buy something.

If you EVER find a nice or even close to nice Allby please PM me. Now I feel like I was let down....I need an intervention

Just curious, what is the date on the rifle? If it was 1976 its worth keeping since according to Yooper's page only 160 were known to be made.

don't rub it in martin. This rifle was in such bad shape I asked the seller why didn't you advertise fair condition. Got the usual we don't know until we box them up to ship. The end of the barrel was so rusted flakes of it fell off when I pulled it out of the box. The stock had trench art and was cracked by the tang, the entire length of the barrel was pitted and rusted and where the barrel meets the receiver it was as if it has sat in salt water. JUNK!!!!!

I am ok now, I just found a pristine Beretta 92FS for less than what I paid for that piece of crap. Also it cost me 30 bucks to send it back..do I need another Beretta, no but it made me feel better to buy something.

If you EVER find a nice or even close to nice Allby please PM me. Now I feel like I was let down....I need an intervention

OH THAT SUX!!! mine comes tomorrow. i saw pictures on that other forum whose initials are GB. that guy got one that definately rated g-VG in my eyes. Mine will be following yours if it is that bad!

sorry to steer you wrong Fred,

Last edited:
Just curious, what is the date on the rifle? If it was 1976 its worth keeping since according to Yooper's page only 160 were known to be made.

I didn't even look and to be honest Ray it was in such bad condition I would not care if it was the only one built that year. It was worth $150 tops. The pitting on the outside was terrible, the rust was worse than rifles I have seen from the 1800. To boot I paid the hand picked price.[shocked] Don't even want to think what the non handpicked is. I know folks are going to say they only look at 10 or so rifles to handpick but this thing was terrible. This dealer has done this to me on my last three purchases.

Wont be getting my hard earned cash anymore![angry]

Last edited:
Bummer Fred, Im sure theres ( another ) "Right One" out there with your name on it.

I am going to stick to Mosins.....I think I see another M39 in my future. We took one in trade where I work part time and its in very very good condition. War time stock, excellent bluing and a bore ....well lets say it should be like most of of M39's. A real tack driver.

I am going to stick to Mosins.....I think I see another M39 in my future. We took one in trade where I work part time and its in very very good condition. War time stock, excellent bluing and a bore ....well lets say it should be like most of of M39's. A real tack driver.

The M39's are just awesome to hold and shoot[smile]

Well my Alby arrived and no complaints!! I think part of it is because Fred set the bar pretty low. It is a 1970. There is 85% bluing and the gun is all matching. the distributor was charging $10 extra (over the handpick for crying out loud!) for all matching. I did not pay this however, i just lucked out. The bore is shiny and beautiful!! The stock is a little rough. it looks like someones dog thought it was a chew toy. This is not uncommon for an Alby. I now have 4 albys. it is not my best but it is not my worst either.
IMG_2735_zps2b29345d.jpg

IMG_2736_zpsafce6db3.jpg

IMG_2739_zpsbb180a3b.jpg

IMG_2738_zps14baf4f1.jpg

IMG_2737_zps59b85b4f.jpg

IMG_2736_zpsafce6db3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom