Unsuitable due to bounced check?

I am bad with money. Therefore I do not write or use checks.

My wife is also bad with money. She has written checks with the intent to add money before it is cashed. She has post dated checks with a similar intent. She has given checks for services rendered with an agreement to deposit on a certain date.

All have bit us in the ass.

Don’t get me started with direct payment...

if you're bouncing checks to the PD, its going to make them wonder what you might be doing for $$ if they give you an LTC. It would certainly make me question your judgement/capabilities if you can't give the PD a $100 check that doesn't bounce.

So if someone had the bad luck of their debit card getting compromised and their bank account cleaned out by the person who stole their card info in between the time when they write the check and the PD tries to cash it, their judgement and capabilities should be questioned and their rights denied?

I served some legal papers to a woman's ex and her check bounced. She apologized and contacted me. She never took the ex off her checking account, so he cleaned out her account!

Passing bad checks (writing checks that bounce) is actually a crime in RI and I used to see it being prosecuted by the state while I was a community college intern. I haven't seen any prosecutions for it this summer though. Does Mass prosecute for bad checks? I mean the one complainant I could see prosecuting for bad checks (if possible) would be a police department.

Passing bad checks (writing checks that bounce) is actually a crime in RI and I used to see it being prosecuted by the state while I was a community college intern. I haven't seen any prosecutions for it this summer though. Does Mass prosecute for bad checks? I mean the one complainant I could see prosecuting for bad checks (if possible) would be a police department.

Is inadvertently writing a single bad check a crime? Or does it require doing so deliberately?

"Most" police dept. that accepts "checks" usually just charge an "insufficient funds" FEE, not a "denial"......

.. and then there's Massachusetts police departments ....

Remember this is Massachusetts.
If you show up to your interview and your shirt
doesn’t match your pants they’ll make you a PP.
They’ll say inability to understand fashion sense
will translate over to irresponsibility with a firearm.

In this state no type of denial surprises me in anyway.

Remember this is Massachusetts.
If you show up to your interview and your shirt
doesn’t match your pants they’ll make you a PP.
They’ll say inability to understand fashion sense
will translate over to irresponsibility with a firearm.

In this state no type of denial surprises me in anyway.
Right! [rofl]

I've NEVER dressed up for a LTC "interview". In all cases it was shorts or long pants (depending on weather) and some logoed T-shirt. This is true in MA as well as in NH. And never a problem.

I'm in Worcester so I dealt with the processing team and they were well above and beyond helpful. I find it hard to believe the denial came from them rather more likely the State Police who approve or deny the application.
I'd go down to the LTC Office immediately and explain what happened with a money order in hand-- I know they don't take cards and I'm not sure they take cash. I would not wait and would try and straighten it out in person first before bringing in an expensive attorney.
I'm with the "something doesn't add up here" crowd.

The state only checks that there are no statutory disqualifiers. "Suitability" is 100% the local Chief of Police or his/her designated Licensing Officer.

I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to believe there isn't more to this. I know suitability is routinely abused but to actually put it in writing that the reason for a suitability denial was a bounced check. That goes further than even I would have ever expected.

If done correctly they could be a good case to overturn the state's $100 fee for exercising a constitutional right. Also might be a vehicle for attacking suitability by demonstrating that PD's are abusing it by using non-statutory reasons for denial forcing applicants to pay out of pocket to defend baseless denials.

I can only hope that it brings attention to how suitability is abused. It's the hammer that lets them add additional conditions to the application. Refuse to provide those legally not required letters from your friends, family, boss BAM! denied as unsutable. So everyone take the little death and complies.

And yes OP, your friend will now forever have to say he was denied. But no worries, most states don't give a sh@t what MA says.

The state only checks that there are no statutory disqualifiers. "Suitability" is 100% the local Chief of Police or his/her designated Licensing Officer.

I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to believe there isn't more to this. I know suitability is routinely abused but to actually put it in writing that the reason for a suitability denial was a bounced check. That goes further than even I would have ever expected.

I can only hope that it brings attention to how suitability is abused. It's the hammer that lets them add additional conditions to the application. Refuse to provide those legally not required letters from your friends, family, boss BAM! denied as unsutable. So everyone take the little death and complies.

And yes OP, your friend will now forever have to say he was denied. But no worries, most states don't give a sh@t what MA says.

Have to agree here. No disrespect to the OP or his friend, but this screams “more to the story”. Maybe not, I don’t know and don’t want to assume. My last MA renewals were in small towns with reasonable L/O’s (wouldn’t be shocked if they’re here on NES, as they’re “gun people”) that I would bet would just make a phone call telling someone to bring a money order to their station because the check bounced. Maybe bigger towns and cities are still looking for any excuse to deny.

Have to agree here. No disrespect to the OP or his friend, but this screams “more to the story”. Maybe not, I don’t know and don’t want to assume. My last MA renewals were in small towns with reasonable L/O’s (wouldn’t be shocked if they’re here on NES, as they’re “gun people”) that I would bet would just make a phone call telling someone to bring a money order to their station because the check bounced. Maybe bigger towns and cities are still looking for any excuse to deny.

There are more than a few chiefs and licensing officers who look for any reason to screw applicants.

There are more than a few chiefs and licensing officers who look for any reason to screw applicants.

It's easy.
LO: he's drinking black coffee. Denied!

Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits - ScienceDirect

I haven’t bounced a check out of an “open” account ever, I did write 2 bad checks to my brother from an account that was closed which I had an old checkbook confused for my current one...

Having a joint account, one income and 2 small kids we have come close before, actually my last renewal at my club, check was dated 8/25 and it wasn’t cashed until 11/15! I quickly reconcile my account once a month and noticed the extra $$$ showing up 2 months in a row and caught it before it got spent elsewhere! We do have $$ in our savings account at the same bank and have it linked to our checking account but it’s still unnerving..

I always hated that my old boss would only deposit customer checks once a month, not only are you risking the person not having the $ in their account anymore but also costing them fees and pissing them off, I do my business deposits daily on my way home

Has your friend actually gone down to the WPD in person to ask about the situation? Maybe with a $100 money order to try to re-start the process? Along with a believable reason why this happened?
any us post office will sell you a money order! I needed one for a MA state license recently...and it was easy to get the money order...why screw around?

I always hated that my old boss would only deposit customer checks once a month, not only are you risking the person not having the $ in their account anymore but also costing them fees and pissing them off, I do my business deposits daily on my way home

Yeah that's rude and kind of arrogant too. It assumes everybody has a huge float of multi-thousands of dollars in their checking account just like your old boss. Some do, many don't.

Has your friend actually gone down to the WPD in person to ask about the situation? Maybe with a $100 money order to try to re-start the process? Along with a believable reason why this happened?

I do not "DO" checks, and haven't for 30 years. They suck.

Last time I renewed my LTC I bought a Money Order at my local Convenience Store for 89 cents, and slept well knowing all would be fine.

"To petition, you must submit:
  • The LTC or FID card application that was denied"
You must submit the application that you sent to your PD? Brilliant, another "common sense" idea no doubt brought to us from a democrat.
Not sure what you point is;
1. it only says this for filing a petition with the FRB, which the OP is not
2. even if an applicant didn't keep a copy, just go ask the PD for a copy. if they refuse it only makes you look better

BTW if you appeal to the district court, the first thing your lawyer is going to do is get all the relevant information from the PD, this will include the application and anything they intend to present. They don't get to surprise you... not that it will help since the judge made up his mind before you even filed.

if you're bouncing checks to the PD, its going to make them wonder what you might be doing for $$ if they give you an LTC. It would certainly make me question your judgement/capabilities if you can't give the PD a $100 check that doesn't bounce.
Meh. It can happen. A bill in auto pay leaves you with too little money. You forgot to transfer money to the account. The bank charged you some maintenance fee and you were short by a few bucks ... there are hundreds of reasons why the OP's friend didnt have enough money. Remember that sometime they take weeks to cash a check. You might have an expense and forget about it.

I only keep enough for auto pay and some minor junk in my debit account. 99% of my check goes straight to saving. When writing a check I always have to remember to move money over and keep it there several days.

There are millions that do what I do.

That said ... I never bounced a check. I would feel embarrassed.

Last edited:
My worthless 2 cents.

Cops understand divorce. Go see the licensing officer and blame the bounced check on the divorce/soon-to-be ex-wife. Maybe you can get undenied without having to appeal.

However, IANAL so this will probably turn out to be laughably bad advice.
The last thing I would want to do when trying to get a license to own and carry firearms is make it look like I am pissed off at my ex wife.

Just saying.

If he is going to lie, just say "I forgot about a bill I had on auto pay" ... it happens. Bouncing a check doesnt mean you are a criminal. Almost everyone has something on auto pay.

Edit: I just saw another post that it was in fact the ex wife. Damn. That s*cks man. I am still not sure I would want them to know about a divorce. The Chief seems like a d*ck already.

Last edited:
The first thing I did when i realized my marriage was over was to open my own checking account so something like this wouldn't happen.

Interesting, I was going to go the "I'm desperate so I'll do straw purchases" route.
Different sides of the same coin, I suppose.

As a non-resident, we have to use Postal Money Order only on our non-res applications.
I'd assume most people don't have the criminal infrastructure in place to go the straw purchase route especially in an emergency/I need it now situation. How many of us have potential clients in the illicit arms trade? I'd bet not many.

Interesting, I was going to go the "I'm desperate so I'll do straw purchases" route.
Different sides of the same coin, I suppose.

As a non-resident, we have to use Postal Money Order only on our non-res applications.

I'm also a non-resident LTC holder. The requirement is for a bank or postal money order, or certified check.

Back
Top Bottom