Unknown Gun

Hello everyone. I was introduced to this site by C-pher, I must say it is great to see a place where gun enthusiasts can come together to share ideas and information like this.

To Buisness, I am a collector of antique firearms... I really just started my collection in the past year, before that, I was just collecting old military antiques. I came across this one very unusual gun from the 1850s and grabbed it. All I know is that its origins are most likely southern Europe and it is a Martini Style Breach loader. Sadly, thats all I know about this pistol. If anyone has any background info or know where I could find some, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

S5000458.jpg

S5000457.jpg

S5000456.jpg

That is a really interesting pistol. With all the ornamentation of the wood, I would guess it has some Arabic or North African influences. Southern Spain or maybe Turkey?

Welcome to the forum BoltActionHero.

My guess is that it was made in India, Pakistan, or Afghanistan and is a pistol made from (or copied from) a Martini Henry rifle. Here's a pic of another one (not mine). Note the similarity:

MartinihenryPistol.jpg

Here is some more info.

Welcome to the forum BoltActionHero.

My guess is that it was made in India, Pakistan, or Afghanistan and is a pistol made from (or copied from) a Martini Henry rifle. Here's a pic of another one (not mine). Note the similarity:

MartinihenryPistol.jpg

Here is some more info.

Yes I'd have to agree, I see many similarities. Perhaps mine is a later model? Anyway, thanks for the link, that is quite helpful.

The above is definitely made from a Martini-Henry receiver. Note the cocking indicator.

The original chambering was .577-.450; however, some were rebarreled in .303 British and some were rebored as shotguns (I saw some from South Africa that had undergone that treatment).

I believe the top gun is a M-H copy, as it has a brass frame. The service rifle was, of course, steel.

The Afghan back-alley gunsmiths were/are masters at copying and making firearms from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom