United Way

Joe G

NES Member
At my new company they're having a United Way drive. I'm thinking of contributing, but something from way back when makes me think they're an anti-gun organization, or they fund anti-gun organizations.

Does anybody have some hard info on them?

TIA

United Way's official policy is that they have no position on gun control issues. They do work with and accept money for anti-RKBA organizations, as well as pro-RKBA organizations at the same time. Hard info is difficult to find, as they are purposely silent on the whole issue.

I won't donate to United Way simply because they are a needless intermediary between my money and the group that I want to donate to. And that is before you even talk about all the money-wasting, high-living scandals that their leadership has been caught up in in the past.

I used to give to the United Way as my company also does a yearly drive. I did until the report came out that the head guy was pulling a $200K salary and that only about $0.20 to $0.30 of every dollar was making it to the charity of choice. The rest was going to support the United Way's operations and salaries. To me that is not right and something that was well hidden by the United Way's execs. This came out a few years ago so I'm not sure if things have changed, but it still left me with a negative feeling towards them.

At one time (don't think it is true any longer), all the profits from NF L's licensed products went to charitable organizations, mainly the United Way. They were one of the major funding sources and still are very active with them.

I used to give to the United Way as my company also does a yearly drive. I did until the report came out that the head guy was pulling a $200K salary and that only about $0.20 to $0.30 of every dollar was making it to the charity of choice. The rest was going to support the United Way's operations and salaries. To me that is not right and something that was well hidden by the United Way's execs. This came out a few years ago so I'm not sure if things have changed, but it still left me with a negative feeling towards them.

^^ Yeah, that. Compared to most other charitable giving orgs, based on the reports that came out a couple years back, they seem to be remarkably inefficient. When over half the money collected goes to the collecting org, you get the feeling its purpose in life is more self-perpetuation than charity.

Yeah, my company ONLY [some exceptions as the tsunami and Hurrican Katrina were matched] matches funds if given to the United Way (it's even worse because you have 1 month of the entire year you need to donate). I donated the first year because they advertised it as "100% of your money goes to the programs of your choosing".

I stopped because mid year I looked and saw 50% of the matching funds went to United Way and not my programs. I refused to donate again. Yearly they send me emails when I don't donate and my response is, "If I donate 1000, my programs get $1500 and united way gets $500. I'd rather donate $1500 directly to my programs than have my company give United Way $500"

There is a large number of organizations that go under the general moniker "United Way." There is the national organization, a state organization in most states, and a whole bunch of regional organizations. The inclination of these orgranizations to engage in political causes varies widely, so one should be aware of which "United Way" someone is talking about.

I only give to the Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army has always help soliders and their families. They never ask for any thing in return.

I won't donate to United Way simply because they are a needless intermediary between my money and the group that I want to donate to. And that is before you even talk about all the money-wasting, high-living scandals that their leadership has been caught up in in the past.

Ditto.
I have my own Charities.

I heard a radio ad yesterday from the 'president' of the South Eastern Mass United Way.

Made me wonder if other sections of the state have their own organizations and 'presidents'. Sounds like it. There would be an awful lot of salaried people sucking away our money if that's the case.

I wonder if it's the same in other states?

No way do I give to them.

Like Goodwill Industries, the United Way is set up regionally, with distinct organizations, staffs and headquarters in different parts of the state. Depending on the companies and charities with which they work, this may or may not make sense from a cost effectiveness perspective.

I don't actually know whether this is true, but I've also heard the United Way establishes a formula for determining how much each charity gets, rather than simply passing through donations as designated. As a result, an additional $100 dollars donated to a particular charity might result in $100 more going to that charity, something less than $100, or even nothing at all, depending on the distribution scheme established by the Board beforehand. If there's any truth, it's one more reason to donate directly.

Ken

Reminds me of my USAF service in the mid-eighties. A "contribution" to United Way was all but mandatory. Ridiculous!

I am sure that a smart young JAG could have built a case against any commander (not to mention his own career) who tried to pressure their people to give. [wink]

After you left, such pressure caused the military (well, the AF at least) to change "100% participation" to "100% contact".

A lot of the folks I work with at my hospital won't donate to the yearly United Way drive because we are so pressured to donate.

We're also pressured to donate to the hospital, itself. How about that!

I donate locally. I don't donate much in terms of cash, but I donate a lot in terms of time. I volunteer as a firefighter and EMT for my town, and also volunteer my time running events for the MS Society and American Cancer Society.

I donate locally. I don't donate much in terms of cash, but I donate a lot in terms of time. I volunteer as a firefighter and EMT for my town, and also volunteer my time running events for the MS Society and American Cancer Society.

I would say that you are doing your share plus some.

Good for you! I'm the same way. I donate time, not cash. It's not that I haven't, or won't continue to, donate cash to charities. But it's just not very fulfilling. By donating time, you not only help more than your cash would, you actually get something out of it for yourself at the same time that your giving to others.

Some of us have worked at places where there is tremendous pressure to donate to the United Way. I use to have to attend a one hour presentation, was given a card on what a typical donation was given my pay group (3%-4%) and then my boss was ranked on what percentage of his organization signed up.

I figured out that I could sign up, my boss get a great ranking and then cancel out the next month. I hate the United Way to this day for all the pressure I was put under and then when they hassled the Boy Scouts that was the last straw.

I've worked at places where there was pressure to sign up for United Way. I refused then and would do the same now.

My company also pressured employees to sign up for a per pay period donation to United Way. I never gave to that organisation, and was glad I didn't when all the bad press came out.

My thought has always been, "charity begins at home". To me, this means helping family, even distant relatives before giving to any organized charity. This can be in monetary or "time" form. If you have no family members in need, then by all means donate to the organisation of your choice.

Americans, I believe, are still the most giving people in the world, and that's a good thing. It is quite disconcerting, though, to find that your favorite charity takes a big chunk out of your donation.

When I can, I donate to the Salvation Army as I believe they use very little for admin. purposes.

My thought has always been, "charity begins at home". To me, this means helping family, even distant relatives before giving to any organized charity. This can be in monetary or "time" form. If you have no family members in need, then by all means donate to the organisation of your choice.

Been there, done that. My eldest sister lost her house in Katrina...

Years ago it was the pet charity of the Plant Manager I worked for. As a Supervisor, I was expected to go out and put the arm on my guys for their "fair share". I read my boss the part about, "How $.37 of every dollar goes to a Charity". Like that was something really good. Course, I asked about the other $.63 and refused to "sell" it.

He went around and put the arm on my employees but it was the last year it was done.

I agree, instead I volunteer my time for a local charity organization. I know exactly which Central Massachusetts non-profit charity organization gets my time and money. Many times I interact with the families and people who need the help.

If you are looking to donate or you want to get involved I would check with your local organizations.

Ever since my dad told me about the Red Cross (supported by the United Way) charged him and his brothers at arms in the Army in Italy during WWII for an extra doughnut when they were on R&R as the reason he would never support it...I will never support it.

I give to my church, my temple (yes I have both), local sports teams, Toys for Tots, local Women's Shelters and the neighborhood kids school fundraisers (candy, wrapping paper etc.). I take care of my own in hopes that no one else will ever have to.

I had some mouth-breathing clients at UPS many years ago (worst client I ever dealt with in 21 years of consulting) and not only were they under severe pressure themselves to give to the United Way, but they tried to tell me that my firm shouldn't expect to do much business with them unless we also ponied up. Yeah, right, a**h***.

I also prefer to donate my time and expertise. Right now I'm working with a former client (a damn fine human being) and we're working with some academic types at Northeastern University and BU on a remote sensing project looking for groundwater supplies in the Nubian Sandstone in Darfur. Maybe if we can find some good water they can grow some crops, feed themselves, and stop killing each other. Definitely one of the more fulfilling projects I've worked on.

Back
Top Bottom