Unique or W231

I'm loading 1000 38 Specials using 158gr. LSWC which one would be a better load.

3.5 grs. of W231 or 4.3 grs of Unique.

Or could you suggest a better load using either one of these powders?

231 4 sure

It meters better than Unique in most powder measures. Also, one flake of unburnt Unique under your revolver's extractor star can interfere with cylinder rotation.

Ditto the powder measure problem with Unique. I tried it in my RCBS Uniflow, and got charges that varied by almost half a grain. The problem is the large flake, which catches in the measure tumbler.

231 has a smaller flake, and meters more accurately in my measure. I use 231 for .45 Auto and .38 Special. I just started on my third can, and am more than satisfied.

Bullseye is another fine choice for target loads.

JT

I shot 50 of the 38 specials with 3.5 grs. of W231, winchester small pistol primers with a OAL of 1.455 in my model 28 today.

47 fired fine, 1 had to be hit 2 times, 1 had to be hit 3 times and one primer just wouldn't fire.

My hands were black when I was through.

Oh well back to reloading manual maybe 4.7 grs will be cleaner.

As for the primers I'm clueless.

Noticed yesterday a couple of new cards of Winch SP primers were only partially filled from the factory. They (Winch) may be suffering some QC issues.

"Sprayed & betrayed"? our Std poodle would probably say that's a typo.

Sprayed & Betrayed, is the motto used by Vietnam Veterans with Agent Orange problems to describe the way the V.A. treats them.

No disrespect intended, Bugs100.

Open memo to self:
1) Do research before asking stupid question.
2) "funny" word-play connections probably aren't.

I use Unique and want to pick up a bottle of W231. Unique is alright but it is a little dirty and meters like crap. I've heard great things about W231.

I've used 231 for many years; it was the first powder I reloaded with. It is relatively clean, meters very well, produces consistent results on the chrono, and is also fairly cheap. I use it for all of my low pressure loads, or did until it became hard to find.

I am now using Tite Group which is a little cleaner and cheaper because you use less for a given velocity. The only downside to TG is that it can't be used in some of the loads that I used 231 for because it can't take the pressure. While TG is cheap and clean, if I could find a reliable supply of 231 it woluld be the only powder I used for low pressure loads.

I switched to Titegroup (from 231) for a lot of my loads. My reloading books are somewhat conservative when it comes to the use of Titegroup in some instances.

However, when checking the Hodgdon Reload Data Center, I see that I can use it in lots of places. I've been using that resource a lot!

I used Unique for all my handgun calibers (about a dozen) but switched to Titegroup a few years ago. I still use Unique for loads in two guns that don't like Titegroup. Of the two powders you asked about, I'd use 231 only if it proved to be more accurate. I just bought some N340 because it's slower than Unique and a lot slower than Titegroup. It's more expensive but may be better with cast bullets which is usually what I shoot. I'll let you all know the results after I shoot a few rounds in each caliber.

I'm starting to hate you guys. Every time I get settled in to using a certain powder you come along and start putting ideas in my head about changing powders again.

It's bad enough that I've turned in a brass scrounging Ho and trip over the 30 buckets of brass in my reloading room and spend most of my day tumbling and sorting brass now I have to throw out the 30 pounds of powder that I have and go out and drive all over the countryside to buy all new different powders.

Last edited:
I switched to Titegroup (from 231) for a lot of my loads. My reloading books are somewhat conservative when it comes to the use of Titegroup in some instances.

However, when checking the Hodgdon Reload Data Center, I see that I can use it in lots of places. I've been using that resource a lot!

I have been getting some strange results using the Hodgdon Tite Group data in 40 and 9mm. The starting loads they suggested were producing 20% more velocity than listed.

I use Unique for all my hand gun reloading. I use 4 grains of Unique with 158 grain lead RNFP with Wolf or Federal primers. It's a very light target load. I use Lee Pro1000 for 38spl and it meters fine through the Lee powder measure. Also load 380ACP, 9x19mm, 357 mag, 40 SW, 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, all with Unique.

Last edited:
I've been using Unique but my RCBS Uniflow seems to hate it. It's the new "Cleaner Formula" but I think it's a tad dirty. Anyway, I couldn't get Unique to meter at all. So I decided to try W231. Man what a difference. Before, I was all over the place. +/- up to 1 full grain or more at times. With W231, I was getting +/- .2 tops. Many of the charges were dead on and a few were round .05 to .1. I was about to toss the Uniflow but I guess it was just the powder. Now I just have to see how well W231 performs. Unique is a decent products. I just wish it would meter better.

231 meters well like everyone says- it's also my preferred load for 9mm, 40, 38sp and .45acp. It does seem hard to find these days.. probably because it's so versatile.

Yeah. I ended up calling 3 places and finally found it. It really does meter as well as everyone says it does. I'm happy.
Glad to hear you like it in all those caliber. I plan on using it in my 9mm, .40 & .45ACP.

I was helping my GF's son run some of his 45 ACP's through my Dillon 550b the other day. He had a one pound container of 231 that he was using. He is panicky about replacing it when it's empty. I waved my huge container of Titegroup in front of him...... Much easier to find. And, you use less Titegroup. Just saying....

Back
Top Bottom