Underfolder AK's

Anyone here into the underfolders? I've had the "AK itch" for a while now but I haven't been able to scratch it yet. In the meantime I'm trying to learn more about them and really like the underfolders. Can anyone explain the differences between the Yugo/Romanian/Polish/Century/others underfolders and why some cost more? There are so many different AK variants that its getting overwhelming (I just want a fun/reliable underfolder, not looking to start the worlds foremost AK collection here). Thanks

I don't know all the details on differences in prices of underfolders and variants, but there are underfolders and sidefolders and many have different collectability/ availability which is reflected in price.

On the practical side, they are really nice as a very compact piece to carry in your trunk, if you are not in a commie state. The comfort of the folder stock is debatable. I actually like how the Polish stock rests against my shoulder with a wider contact points. I also haven't seen dramatic difference in accuracy between folding or fixed stock.

You basically got the same options as with the rest of AKs, what stock you like, caliber (7.62 or 5.45) and barrel length (short or regular) unless you are getting into exotics of different calibers and custom builds.

Last edited:
IMHO:

1. underfolders = bad ergonomics, uncomfortable to aim, obsolete in every army, but available as surplus. Kits are cheap though.

2. sidefolders:
a. skeleton = is ok, definitely better than underfolder but not great.
b. modern ak-100 series sidefolder = as comfy as fixed, but with portability of a folder= this would be my choice.

3. AR-adapter/AR-style folding stock = abomination

Last edited:
I have a Polytech Legend AK underfolder and it is one sexy beast. There's just something about this piece of hardware that speaks badass...

ben-stiller-do-it.gif

I'm a big fan of how they look, but I HATE shooting them. Horrible cheek weld and just uncomfortable. I prefer a krinkov or arsenal style side folder if I'm going to have a non fixed AK.

I can't comment on the differences between all the ones out there now but I will say they're fine to shoot. I don't have a problem with comfort or cheek weld when using one. Wire side folders don't offer much of one because they're so low but standard underfolding stocks work just fine.

I'm a big fan of how they look, but I HATE shooting them. Horrible cheek weld and just uncomfortable. I prefer a krinkov or arsenal style side folder if I'm going to have a non fixed AK.

you can go Spetsnaz style:

vlcsnap-2012-10-25-12h59m35s120.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-25-13h56m20s117.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-25-13h56m33s26.png

you put a bandage into the stock and wrap it with wide tourniquet rubber band, it makes for a very comfortable and useful cheek weld.

Last edited:
From what I know, the Polytech underfolders are some of the best. I had one and stupidly sold it.

Aside from comfort, the big disadvantage to underfolders, as opposed to sidefolders, is you need to remove the magazine to fold or unfold the stock.

Thanks guys. I'm aware that it won't handle as well as a woodstock AK, but I'm not planning to shoot quarters with it either, and the cool factor is a 10 on the underfolder. My main concern is not overpaying; I see them anywhere from $700 to $1,800 and there are a ton of different variants. As I understand it an AK is basically an AK; one is not necessarily better than another.

Thanks guys. I'm aware that it won't handle as well as a woodstock AK, but I'm not planning to shoot quarters with it either, and the cool factor is a 10 on the underfolder. My main concern is not overpaying; I see them anywhere from $700 to $1,800 and there are a ton of different variants. As I understand it an AK is basically an AK; one is not necessarily better than another.

5.45 has considerably flatter trajectory and smaller caliber per similar barrel dia makes it considerably more accurate than 7.62, but 7.62 ... let's not start any holy wars here [laugh]

Anyone here into the underfolders? I've had the "AK itch" for a while now but I haven't been able to scratch it yet. In the meantime I'm trying to learn more about them and really like the underfolders. Can anyone explain the differences between the Yugo/Romanian/Polish/Century/others underfolders and why some cost more? There are so many different AK variants that its getting overwhelming (I just want a fun/reliable underfolder, not looking to start the worlds foremost AK collection here). Thanks

I can't explain all of the differences (there are just too many... A google search is your best friend here)... but the difference in cost between them basically comes down to fit and finish, slight design tweaks that set some apart from others, and the history (or lack thereof) behind a particular manufacturer/model.

It's my understanding that any AK, pretty much, will be reliable and fun.

Some references to start you off:
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=70455
http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/86014-whats-best-ak.html

If you don't care about fit and finish... and design tweaks/details that separate, for instance, Yugo AK's from Chinese AK's... then yes, An AK is basically an AK. Grab the cheapest one you find.

Things to keep in mind though... with certain manufacturers on the low end of the list (like the older Romanian WASR's) watch out for things like canted front sights (you'd either have to drift the front sight post way over to compensate/shoot straight or un-pin/reposition/re-pin the front sight), and magazine fitment (a poorly made AK may allow too much side-to-side "wobble" of a magazine), etc.

Last edited:
IMHO, the only reason to buy an underfolder vs. fixed stock aside from the obvious compactness is the look. There is little doubt that a fixed stock especially one with a thick rubber buffer pad is more comfortable to shoot than an aluminum underfolder. But you sure cant beat the look of a nice underfolder

010.jpg

I prefer a milled receiver vs the more common stamped receiver. This one is a Yugo.

I agree 100%. Underfolder for cool factor... Full stock for a shooter. My underfolder was never that comfortable to shoot because of the off-center cheek weld.

I miss my Norinco 84S-1 Underfolder though... should have never sold it...

IMG_8539-1.jpg

Now I've got an Armco AK47S (Norinco before the factory was named Norinco).

IMG_1188.jpg

Stop with the pics, I'm drooling [smile]

I'm not usually a fan of oversized grips, but that large grip on jdigga's underfolder looks ridiculously comfortable.

I keep coming back to the underfolder. I know I'm going to cave in and buy one. Take a Yugo or Bulgarian underfolder for example. What should I expect to pay for one in NH, new and used? I saw underfolders at Rileys for something like $650, but they were CAI which I understand are bottom of the barrel. How can I tell if its Yugo vs. Bulgarian vs. Chinese; does it literally say on the receiver?

Just miserable to shoot. Look cool though.

I have a pre-ban Norinco 84S that I may some day put a side folder on. But as a shooter, its tough to beat the fixed stock.
My 84S in .223 is such a great shooter, I hate to mess with it. Its the only truly accurate AK I've ever shot.

From what I know, the Polytech underfolders are some of the best. I had one and stupidly sold it.

Among the pre-ban Chinese imports, its considered to be the cream of the crop. I was looking for a Polytech when I found my Norinco at a price I couldn't turn down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom