Armco underfolder AK47

jcetto0351

NES Member
I just picked up an underfolding AK from IDC firearms in Clinton(AWESOME shop, highly recommend). It is manufactured by a company called Armco out of Boylston, MA that has since gone out of business... I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Armco... my searches have dug-up mixed reviews with some calling it junk and others like gunbroker that have a buy it now price of $1400 with is more than double what I payed for mine! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! (I bet Flintoid could help me on this one)

Not sure if Armco was the maker, it was surely an importer a while back ago.
I do remember them importing Norincos right up to the ban. I think I read something to the effect that they were shutdown or closed up due to some issues with the ban but I don't remember what exactly.

Any other markings on it? For under 1k you got a great deal.

If i remember correctly wasn't armco shut down for importing ak's after the AWB kicked in... just found this

ARMCO: Was located in Boylston, MA

They were located in Boylston, Massachusetts, and was both an importer/exporter and a firearms retail store. ARMCO was owned and operated by Stephen A. Holmquist, who was arrested in October 1991 and convicted on November 5, 1992 on six counts of importing firearms by means of false statements, and three counts of exporting restricted firearms to China. ARMCO is known to have imported atleast serial #'s 04440 through 05000, as well as rifles in the 073xx range. ARMCO imports are marked under the receiver, ahead of the magwell:

ARMCO BOYLSTON,MA

If i remember correctly wasn't armco shut down for importing ak's after the AWB kicked in... just found this

ARMCO: Was located in Boylston, MA

They were located in Boylston, Massachusetts, and was both an importer/exporter and a firearms retail store. ARMCO was owned and operated by Stephen A. Holmquist, who was arrested in October 1991 and convicted on November 5, 1992 on six counts of importing firearms by means of false statements, and three counts of exporting restricted firearms to China. ARMCO is known to have imported atleast serial #'s 04440 through 05000, as well as rifles in the 073xx range. ARMCO imports are marked under the receiver, ahead of the magwell:

ARMCO BOYLSTON,MA

sounds like Victor Bout Lite: same taste, less filling.

as Tater and pj150 have stated, Armco was an importer. They imported Chicom AKs. But they also refinished their wood furniture after receiving them, which is why they look better than most run of the mill pre-ban chicom AKs.

And yes, they did get shut down for importing "pre-ban 922r" AKs after 1989. Before that happened, they managed to import a bunch of MAK-90s though.

But your Armco gun is useless without this:
ARMCO.jpg

[grin]

PS: sounds like you got a deal!

any pre-1989 AK for $700 or less is a major deal to be had. You basically robbed that store.

I am jealous beyond measure. Does it say Norinco anywhere? Or Polytech?

I also have an Armco AK,but mine has the wood stock and pistol grip. I remember Armco used to have a big bill board saying something like Armco we arm the world or something similiar.

Some rumors of suppling guns to the IRA. I just sold an Armco pre-ban consignment AK for $600.00. I also just sold a WARS10 that will except 30 round mags for $600.00 and I think I can get WARS10's more.

Last edited:
Wow! That is freakin SICK.

Great deal on a sexy gun as far as I can tell, though I am no expert. I would kill to get my hands on one of those.

Anybody know anything about bayonets? I don't have a normal bayo lug but I can't find where one would have been ground down, and it's "pre-89" so there is no reason it would be... any ideas?

it would be under the gas return block on your barrel. Usually the cleaning rod travels through it.

In the only picture where your GRB is pictured, I don't see the typical stub. I'm not sure if all or some chinese AKMs came with them or not.

So upon doing some internet research (I am a newb to rifle building) I have come to the conclusion that I might have to swap the gas return block to one with a bayo lug... not sure of the difficulty/legality of this! anybody have any experience with this? is it a waste of my time? I don't NEED a bayo lug but it is a preban in this silly state so if i can have one, i WANT one ;-)

I have an early ARMCO that I got back in '98 it's a safe queen...only thing that sucks is your importer stamp looks to be done with actual stamping mine seems to have been done by a 5yr old with electropencil.

I think I have a picture in the show us your ak thread.

Armco was importing AKs by the container load and got caught up with some offshore / intransit during the whole Clinton debacle.
I spent many paydays in that shop looking at tons of toys. I still want a close to NIB Norinco / Armco import SKS.
I still remember the owner saying he paid about $125 back in the day for an AK after buying it, paying, ahem "duties" in China and paying to get them shipped here. He had plenty of Armco boxed 9mm, 45 and 762x39 all Chinese made.

Strange shop, was in the basement of a small home on Rt 70 in Boylston but the whole basement was properly converted to a retail outlet and had decent parking.

The owner got pinched after going to China with a Glock (I still remember the article on that trip) along with other importation issues.

You stole that rifle if it was $700 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom