Ak's and manufacture dates

jron

NES Member
I know for a riffle to be pre ban it needs to be manufactured prior to 1994. but what about the "remanufactured" I guess you could call them? like wasr for example I have seen the receiver stamped a pre ban but arent the rebuilt buy century thus making them a new riffle? does it work like an ar lower where you can build what you want? just hoping someone could clarify

I keep seeing all these "pre ban" aks popping up. someone just posted a "pre ban" arsenal for $2800 [laugh]

I know for a riffle to be pre ban it needs to be manufactured prior to 1994. but what about the "remanufactured" I guess you could call them? like wasr for example I have seen the receiver stamped a pre ban but arent the rebuilt buy century thus making them a new riffle? does it work like an ar lower where you can build what you want? just hoping someone could clarify

I keep seeing all these "pre ban" aks popping up. someone just posted a "pre ban" arsenal for $2800 [laugh]

The receiver is the only part that matters.

My psl carbine has parts from 4-5 different guns from just as many country's lol .
You can get a preban ak for less then 1k$.
Few people I know picked up norinco's for short money. Granted depending what style, converting it to be like you want might be a pain. Some have the threads ground off some just weren't threaded .

If you google just look for what was on the market before the ban date. If there still being made/imported figure out the cut off date. Just remember in most state preban is just a older ak vs demanding more money in mass.

i once saw an AK rebuilt from scratch on pre-ban receiver at zero hour. they sold it as pre-ban.
if there is a transfer paperwork proving that receiver (assuming it was serialized) originated prior to ban date than it should be considered preban although IANAL.
however, receiver is considered a firearm by feds, but not by MA so there is another twist to this conundrum

There is also two different "pre-bans" when talking about ak's. You have the obvious AWB of 1994 but then there is also the importation ban which happened in 1989. Pre89 ak's will fetch well over $1k.

any decent AK will fetch over 1K.
pre-89, meh.
many good AKs happened after 89. pre-89 is only worth it if you are AK purist/collector whom stuck in the world of 7.62x39 and wants AK47/AKM.
i know i might take some heat from some of you thinking that i'm bashing on 7.62x39 (i'm not) but there is a lot more to AK platform than what most americans grewup to belive.
if you don't think so then yo are stuck in the past and just plain don't know AKs as well as you think you do.

pre-89, meh.
many good AKs happened after 89. pre-89 is only worth it if you are AK purist/collector whom stuck in the world of 7.62x39 and wants AK47/AKM.
i know i might take some heat from some of you thinking that i'm bashing on 7.62x39 (i'm not) but there is a lot more to AK platform than what most americans grewup to belive.
if you don't think so then yo are stuck in the past and just plain don't know AKs as well as you think you do.

Wanna explain more ?

pre-89, meh.
I'll take a pre89 ak over a 922r butchered ak anyday.

I'll take a pre89 ak over a 922r butchered ak anyday.

good for you man.
922r butchery? can you explain why 922r parts make AK 'bad'?

because said parts made in US? on quality commercial equipment vs mass production machinery form early 20th century?

at very least US parts would stack up just as good but most likely fair even better. political aspect of 922r aside for all intents and purposes US made parts arguably make for better gun. plus really all the parts we are talking about is furniture, barrels, receivers - not really space age technologies that only known to folks in the 'old world'. go ahead and bring one or two good points why imported barrels, furniture and receivers would be better than ones made locally? without bringing up 'collectible value' as one of those points.

good for you man.
922r butchery? can you explain why 922r parts make AK 'bad'?

because said parts made in US? on quality commercial equipment vs mass production machinery form early 20th century?

at very least US parts would stack up just as good but most likely fair even better. political aspect of 922r aside for all intents and purposes US made parts arguably make for better gun. plus really all the parts we are talking about is furniture, barrels, receivers - not really space age technologies that only known to folks in the 'old world'. go ahead and bring one or two good points why imported barrels, furniture and receivers would be better than ones made locally? without bringing up 'collectible value' as one of those points.

I've found tapco triggers work better and a hell lot easier to install.
Other then that it's pretty hard to mess up a piston and stocks.

I've found tapco triggers work better and a hell lot easier to install.
Other then that it's pretty hard to mess up a piston and stocks.

ak74/100 is where trigger sleeve was introduced, tapco didn't invent it, they just merely copied it. trigger sleeved actually showed up as early as mid to late 80s, but wasn't retroactively outfitted to earlier AK74, however it was present on other newer guns like VSS, AS and OTs from that point on.

also original trigger is not hard to install if you know the proper way of doing it [wink].

Last edited:
ak74/100 was was the gun where trigger sleeve was introduced. also original trigger is not hard to install if you know the proper way of doing it [wink].

Its not really that hard . I hate the hammer spring with passion . I've tried twist ties , string . I just rip a strip of duct tape and use that now.
First time I tried to install a hammer they slipped and it went in to the web between my thumb and index . It hurt more then any mouse trap.

I'm doing a build now based off the Vityaz-SN but with M3 stick mags. I'm leaning towards a sbr

Last edited:
There is also two different "pre-bans" when talking about ak's. You have the obvious AWB of 1994 but then there is also the importation ban which happened in 1989. Pre89 ak's will fetch well over $1k.

Im aware, I ment pre 1994. I know anything that has an importation ban will fetch a premium. real nice ak's will fetch around $1000, market has come down but still see wasr's for around $700. Dont get my wrong they go bang, I owned one but ill take my quality made milled arsenal for a few hundred more.

AK SBR.... Droooolllllllll I need one.

It be in 45acp
24b0a44970ee05fee43595345cd60d89.jpg

Just got done opening bolt face up. .480~ like .308 Winchester .

It be in 45acp
24b0a44970ee05fee43595345cd60d89.jpg

Just got done opening bolt face up. .480~ like .308 Winchester .

why not 9mm? it's cheaper to shoot and 5.45 ak74 kit would be perfect for it.
what are you planning to do for a front sight/gas block. machine it from scratch, buy one that looks similar or your build is not gonna be that close to original and you'll just use whatever?

also are you gonna do blow back or locked breech? skeleton stock?

Last edited:
why not 9mm? it's cheaper to shoot and 5.45 ak74 kit would be perfect for it.
what are you planning to do for a front sight/gas block. machine it from scratch, buy one that looks similar or your build is not gonna be that close to original and you'll just use whatever?

also are you gonna do blow back or locked breech? skeleton stock?

I own .45's .
I only own one 9mm a ww2 take home p38 I got passed down from my grand pa I don't shoot a lot . So I have more 45 on hand .
Also I've been building a scratch built grease gun clone . So I had mags.
I did a job for some one and worked out I had enough for the Hungarian under folder kit so I said f it I'll build a ak in 45.

I'm not 100% sure how I'm gonna build it up.

Could cut the front sight up and weld it to a gas block . And later sbr.
Mod the parts for the thicker barrel .
Buy a combo block .
Scratch build it .
Hk sight mod for longer sight raduis.
Galil top cover.
Tactical it out with a custom top rail system .
Bulpup it.
I haven't made up my mind yet.

I was gonna do a screw build to test feed the action with a rough turn barrel then once I get it feeding and shooting go from there.
Then rivet it up .
I could allways do a quick charge barrel .
There's a mag block adapter for the mac10 for 9mm so I could also do that .

I have a lot of options and can't make my mind up .

And 45 is bad ass.

Blow back .
ca6f2c37f0523e125292e667efc89fe8.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to remember. Since the import ban happened in 89, any pre import ban gun can be assumed to be pre94. It sounds stupidly obvious. But what it means in practicality is that if you find a Chinese Norinco or Polytech AK, you can be sure its safe to bring into MA, since their importation was banned in 89.

I'm sure the purists will hate me for saying this, but I really like shooting my Norinco 84S in .223. It is very nicely made and shoots well.

Don

One thing to remember. Since the import ban happened in 89, any pre import ban gun can be assumed to be pre94. It sounds stupidly obvious. But what it means in practicality is that if you find a Chinese Norinco or Polytech AK, you can be sure its safe to bring into MA, since their importation was banned in 89.

I'm sure the purists will hate me for saying this, but I really like shooting my Norinco 84S in .223. It is very nicely made and shoots well.

Don

I been trying to get my hands on a .233/556 kit . When I'm done building it every ak guy will hate me lol . I want to get the stang mag adapter and bullpup it. Or get a 74 kit and build it on that.

The problem you are going to run into is that the .223 mags are pretty expensive; about $80 ea.

I got mine in 08 after everything crashed but before Obama panic set in. I bought it from a guy in NH. I drove all the way up from CT to get it for $800 with 8 pre ban mags. Those mags weigh about as much as a Glock.

The problem you are going to run into is that the .223 mags are pretty expensive; about $80 ea.

I got mine in 08 after everything crashed but before Obama panic set in. I bought it from a guy in NH. I drove all the way up from CT to get it for $800 with 8 pre ban mags. Those mags weigh about as much as a Glock.

That's why I want to go with stang/ar15/m16 mags ;). I figured I own ar's. So why get a gun that needs different mags for the same caliber when I can make the mags work.

Back
Top Bottom