Unburned powder / Bad Primers ? ?

There was a big argument between Lee & Hornady a few years back Re: using Lee's factory crimp die on non cannelured brass. Lee said it made no difference, and I think he eventually won.

The Lee crimp die is adjustable, from simply removing the bell to an actual crimp. Using a non-cannelured bullet? Back the die off. Crisis solved.

There was a big argument between Lee & Hornady a few years back Re: using Lee's factory crimp die on non cannelured brass. Lee said it made no difference, and I think he eventually won.

I stand by my post. If you're displacing metal, it has to go somewhere, and from my measurements and experience, that "somewhere" doesn't help performance.

The solution is neither exotic nor expensive: If you want to roll crimp, buy bullets with a cannelure that are designed for a roll crimp. There's a good reason why they have a cannelure - a feature that requires an extra, more expensive manufacturing step - that reason is....

are you ready?...

Because a roll crimp requires it. If Lee was right, then no bullets would have a cannelure.

Lee does a good job marketing their products. They don't perform as well as others, but their customer service department at least will replace them quickly.

I stand by my post. If you're displacing metal, it has to go somewhere, and from my measurements and experience, that "somewhere" doesn't help performance.

The solution is neither exotic nor expensive: If you want to roll crimp, buy bullets with a cannelure that are designed for a roll crimp. There's a good reason why they have a cannelure - a feature that requires an extra, more expensive manufacturing step - that reason is....

are you ready?...

Because a roll crimp requires it. If Lee was right, then no bullets would have a cannelure.

Lee does a good job marketing their products. They don't perform as well as others, but their customer service department at least will replace them
quickly.
We are not talking about roll crimping. The Lee factory crimp die was primarily rifle specific. Loads for a semi auto should be taper crimped back to a straight case, not much more. With the fast burning powders used in semi auto pistols, this is not critical. If they chamber, they should fire. PERIOD!

Bill,

I'm a little late on this post. I use 231 for a few different loads - 38 Spec. 38 Super 9mm and also my 230 GR 45 ACP bowling pin loads.

I attempted to use it for some lighter 200 gr 45 ACP and had the exact same result as you. It was like my 625 was spraying powder out of the barrel like a sand blaster! I also had very inconsistent FPS readings. It worked fine for the heavy load but not the lighter bullet / load.

231 does not appear to be good on these loads. I was hoping to try some of my Tight Group to see how it does but I have yet to get back to loading 200 45's. I've been spending all this season shooting 40 and 38 super.

Perhaps RGS or some others can make some load recommendations?? I am looking for some nice light 200gr steel loads.

Last edited:
I still don't think the powder was quite "right" as a new container worked well, though still very dirty. I switched to AA#5 powder with excellent results in the 200g and 230g bullets. No more 231 for me.

For what it's worth, I have been loading .45 acp using 231, Winchester lp primers, 230 rnl bullets for umpteen years for the 1911's and subguns. All kinds of cases. I taper crimp to .465. Who the heck roll crimps the .45? Jack.

Thanks Scriv...

I was thinking of experimenting with that powder. Pherhaps I shall buy a pound and give it a go. Most likely in the fall after the summer match season ends and I am shooting a lot more steel. [wink]

For what it's worth, I have been loading .45 acp using 231, Winchester lp primers, 230 rnl bullets for umpteen years for the 1911's and subguns. All kinds of cases. I taper crimp to .465. Who the heck roll crimps the .45? Jack.
I use W231 for most of my cast lead. Everyone is looking at powder. What about a weak spring. I would love to see a video of this handgun firing. I have burned more 231 over the last 15 years than any other handgun powder. With your situation, I would buy a new heavier Guide/ recoil spring or replace it w/ the same weight spring. Wolff is a good choice. http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html
They also sell full packs, all the springs needed. jp

Thanks Scriv...

I was thinking of experimenting with that powder. Pherhaps I shall buy a pound and give it a go. Most likely in the fall after the summer match season ends and I am shooting a lot more steel. [wink]

So - you doing Walls of Steel next month?

I have been considering it but I have not yet signed up. I did the same thing last year and then wished I went after it was over. Its just hard for me to commit to a drive down to RI during the summer when there are motorcycle trips happening with my buddies that do not shoot. [grin]

That said, I am leaning toward it and should probably move quickly to secure a slot. I would like to shoot three guns - 627 V-Comp in open revo, 627 in stock revo, and my 1911 in stock auto pistol.

Perhaps you are attending?

There is a 25 steel plate match this Sunday at MRA and a bunch of the regulars have been signed up for a while and harassing me about going. I may see if I can car pool that will help sway my decision.

Back
Top Bottom