Un-easy feeling

Last night the bride and I went to the movies at the loop in Methuen.As we left to go to our car there were two punks talking in front of us.When we walked by,them on my left and my wife on my right,one turns around just after we passed and started walking toward us, he wore a red cap 1/4 twist to the right, in his late teens,white and about 160lbs,I got a good look at him .I let him take 4 or 5 steps before I looked over my left shoulder to stare at him. He then turned and jumped into a red van as it was MOVING WTF Paranoid? I don't think so,my wife also said as we approached to walk by she was uncomfortable before that took place.She told me that was why she placed her purse between us and held my hand. I was very pleased and proud that she recognized that something was not right and I told her that if that happens again without me she should turn around and walk back into the store or where ever she came from then reassess the situation. She also just got her LTC but is not comfortable with it right now,time will change that. If something does not feel right, it probably isn't.Like I have said I was glad I was carrying and did not need it.... just as I put my seatbelt on for the ride home and did not need that either.

God Bless

Ive always told my girl friend that if we run into a situation like that and I end up being stopped, stopping to exchange words - or something happens; keep going, dont stop for me - get to the car, back inside or to the nearest store/"safe" spot and call for help if the situation warrants.

Last night the bride and I went to the movies at the loop in Methuen.As we left to go to our car there were two punks talking in front of us.When we walked by,them on my left and my wife on my right,one turns around just after we passed and started walking toward us, he wore a red cap 1/4 twist to the right, in his late teens,white and about 160lbs,I got a good look at him .I let him take 4 or 5 steps before I looked over my left shoulder to stare at him. He then turned and jumped into a red van as it was MOVING WTF Paranoid? I don't think so,my wife also said as we approached to walk by she was uncomfortable before that took place.She told me that was why she placed her purse between us and held my hand. I was very pleased and proud that she recognized that something was not right and I told her that if that happens again without me she should turn around and walk back into the store or where ever she came from then reassess the situation. She also just got her LTC but is not comfortable with it right now,time will change that. If something does not feel right, it probably isn't.Like I have said I was glad I was carrying and did not need it.... just as I put my seatbelt on for the ride home and did not need that either.
Scooter, I'm glad nothing happened - you directly challenging the punk with your stare, letting him know you were watching probably is responsible for that - but PLEASE tell me you're left-handed. If you are right-handed, you wife seriously handicapped you during the incident... potentially fatally.

I ALWAYS walk on my wife's right side, so my right hand is free. Paranoid? Perhaps. As I've never needed to so much as even draw my sidearm, maybe I am... but if I need to do so, I want my hand free.

God Bless

[grin] good work. you recognized potential danger and acted appropriatley....

The Loop has a full time Methuen LEO assigned to it on Friday & Saturday nights.....he has a designated parking spot for chrissakes!!

90% of the crime which occurs there, never hits the news, I would not go there unarmed...just sayin

You were potentially less than 5 seconds away from NEEDING to use it. Good thing the bad guys backed down.

Hope you have been training for concealed carry, get the gun out quickly, and aim accurately.

When the adrenaline flows, it's training, and the instinctive actions, that keep you safe.

BTW, Weaponcrrafttraining (if you don't mind the plug) has a Close Quarters Concealed Carry Handgun class that is superb! Works you through lots of real life CC emergencies, including the shopping lot, protecting your family, and keeping car jackers at bay.
Details:
http://www.weaponcrafttraining.com/wc_classes_detail.aspx?ID=21

Last edited:
Scooter, I'm glad nothing happened - you directly challenging the punk with your stare, letting him know you were watching probably is responsible for that - but PLEASE tell me you're left-handed. If you are right-handed, you wife seriously handicapped you during the incident... potentially fatally.

I ALWAYS walk on my wife's right side, so my right hand is free. Paranoid? Perhaps. As I've never needed to so much as even draw my sidearm, maybe I am... but if I need to do so, I want my hand free.

Actually, according to manners etc the gentleman is supposed to walk to the ladie's left - aka be on his right. That's left over from the days all men wore swords - if someone accosted the lady, the gentleman could draw and guard her from that position.

Good work! [cheers] Glad the situation was diffused. A little disturbing thought, isn't it? I had a similar incident last winter and was very glad the situation was diffused by making direct and unwavering eye contact and going into a packy (cant carry on hospital property[angry])

Oh I'm a lefty , my wife and I already discussed to walk on my right

Actually, according to manners etc the gentleman is supposed to walk to the ladie's left - aka be on his right. That's left over from the days all men wore swords - if someone accosted the lady, the gentleman could draw and guard her from that position.

And to protect her from horseshit & mudsplash when carriages went by! [smile]

Glad everything turned out for the better. The worst case scenario is when someone recognizes a dangerous situation and makes excuses that they're over-reacting. That's how my mom was robbed. She was with all her kids walking out to her car at Stop and Shop(I was in that little shopping cart seat at the time). She saw a group of black guys acting strangely but didn't want to seem "rascist" so she didn't do anything. They ended up grabbing her purse and jumping into a car. She actually ran after them banging on the trunk the entire way [laugh] She was lucky though, not one of my best childhood memories [thinking]

On the other side of it, I wonder if it ever even entered the POS's mind that he might've been walking up to someone with a gun and might be living the last few seconds of his life?

Apparently, I'm no gentleman, then. Sorry, but if my lady has my right hand in hers, we're both toast as I wouldn't be able to draw quickly. I suppose manners must change as technology changes...

Oh I'm a lefty , my wife and I already discussed to walk on my right
Well done, Sir, well done!

On the other side of it, I wonder if it ever even entered the POS's mind that he might've been walking up to someone with a gun and might be living the last few seconds of his life?

Have to wonder...if Scooter had that feeling something wasn't right, maybe the stare gave the POS a little chill that was survival instinct also. One thing gun statistics never show, is how many times crimes never materialize because of the ability to protect yourself.

Have to wonder...if Scooter had that feeling something wasn't right, maybe the stare gave the POS a little chill that was survival instinct also. One thing gun statistics never show, is how many times crimes never materialize because of the ability to protect yourself.
This is one of the things that cops tell you to do - if the BG sees you giving him that look that says "I see you and I'm prepared for you" they tend to lo look for an easier mark.

most thieves are cowards and will go for it only if they can get in a sucker punch, or the surprise attack.

you did the right thing by acknowledging the punk and making him think twice without escalating the situation

Teach her how to use the gun! the mindset that your already dead gives you a edge. I've a "edge".Not easily adapted to families but then you've the edge in numbers. Make use of them. just sayin.......

Teach her how to use the gun! the mindset that your already dead gives you a edge. I've a "edge".Not easily adapted to families but then you've the edge in numbers. Make use of them. just sayin.......

That is my intension to do. She really just gor her LTC 2 weeks ago. Perhaps this will move things uo a bit.

This is one of the things that cops tell you to do - if the BG sees you giving him that look that says "I see you and I'm prepared for you" they tend to lo look for an easier mark.

I wasn't thinking that would happen if I stared at him.But the way I felt leaving my back to him was worse than doing nothing. I'm very happy things turned out how they did. Honestly I'm not used to being too afraid walking around,I'm kinda a big guy,I weigh 275,tattoos ride a Harley,you know the look and usually others turn away from me. I guess this is a lesson that even if you look like you can take care of yourself,you are still a target.

That is my intension to do. She really just gor her LTC 2 weeks ago. Perhaps this will move things uo a bit.

If she would like some help getting used to it from a woman's perspective I'd help her out and I'm sure others here would also. I took the woman's handgun self defense class from NEShooters and got a lot out of it. I carry almost all the time.

I wasn't thinking that would happen if I stared at him.But the way I felt leaving my back to him was worse than doing nothing. I'm very happy things turned out how they did. Honestly I'm not used to being too afraid walking around,I'm kinda a big guy,I weigh 275,tattoos ride a Harley,you know the look and usually others turn away from me. I guess this is a lesson that even if you look like you can take care of yourself,you are still a target.
From their point of view, everyone is a target - think pack mentality (there were two of them, right?). Even small predators (wolves, coyotes) can gang up on larger targets (elk, moose, etc).

No two ways about it - even if they didn't have anything in mind, you still done good.

It's part of the survival mentality. Be aware of what's going on around you. Most people don't, and predators know that. Often the victim doesn't even see the predator until the attack has begun. Just by walking with your head up, looking around, making eye contact with potential threats, you'll do a lot to deter crimes before they even start. Having a fire arm is just one small part of a good self defense mentality. Another is trusting your instincts, which both Scooter and his wife did. They were attuned to the situation and their environment. Good for them, if more people did that, there would be far fewer crimes.

my guess is NO, I bet he though "a easy lib,law abiding couple that would just rather give their wallets away than fight for what is theirs, easy pickings " until you returned his stare. good job

Back
Top Bottom