Ultramax bulk packs of .223

SKS Ray

NES Member
Dicks has a sale this week, $34.98 for a 150 bulk pack of Ultramax .223 ammo. Still seems kinda pricey to me, but is it good ammo and what about the price?
I'm still green on buying .223 and don't really know the prices as well as I do with 7.62x39, and many other milsurp ammo types. Feeding a Mini 14 witha 30 round mag and hopefully soon to be complete AR has me looking to stock up.

Doesn't sound so unreasonable, 7 20rnd packs of Federal AE 55gr fmjbt costs about the same at northeast. The USA Winchester stuff is on par with that.

i used to work at dicks and im still friendly with the lodge manager of the 1 i worked at...he told me that the ultramax is dirty and not the best ammo for pistol or rifle

for that price why dont you just get american eagle? its almost the same price for 500 rounds of better quality ammo

I use the ultramax 9mm for the indoor range I shoot at when I don't feel like loading. It leaves a dirty, grainy mess in my Sig. But, it always goes boom and lands where I aim it.

I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, but I believe it is reloaded cartridges. For that price I will squeeze a few more bucks and buy new ammo.

ETA: I have used it in the past, it was ok. But I still stand by my first statement.

Last edited:
While Ultramax is certainly fine for plinking, I won't be buying anymore. I bought one of the bulk boxes from Dick's
back just after they first opened. I've only shot about 40-50 rounds of it and out of that 40-50 rounds, I had:

3 cracked cases at the mouth
2-3 bullets pushed into the case (and I don't mean seated lower than normal, I mean pushed in!)
1 FTF
and at least a quarter of the rounds had dented cases

Frankly, in my eyes, not worth the cash savings, if there even is any. Just my 2¢ worth though, YMMV.
I do eventually plan on inspecting what I have left and shooting what is salvageable though. I'll stick with XM193,
I know it will go bang even if it costs more!

J

I don't see the point of buying reloaded .223 at that price. I'd rather shoot
wolf than crap reloads. I've used some of Ultramax's other offerings and
was not impressed. (There was a guy at one of the pin shoots that had some
of their 45ACP LRN stuff and like one out of every 10 cartridges failed a basic
case gauge. I also tried some of their 10mm Auto and it was by far the wimpiest
10mm I'd ever used. ) I don't like wolf but if given a choice I would shoot
wolf any day of the week over ultramax.

It's too bad M+M doesn't reload .223 for a reasonable
price. (Maybe he does, but I've n ever seen any at his
table).

-Mike

Last edited:
picked up 10,000 rounds of Israel military surplus .223 in ammo cans for real short money. $185 mail order from Ohio.

This stuff smells reall wierd? It feels lower power than US made ammo and has misfired about 20% a lot of dented cases in the can. I have shot maybe 7,000 rounds of it and dont plan on buying any more. Also the barrel feels like it is cooking quicker than normal. after 5 or 6 of 50 rd clips the accuracy goes all to hell and I have to let it cool down before continuing

Has anyone else used .223 Military Surplus from Israel? Have you noticed the differance in smell

Last edited:
picked up 10,000 rounds of Israel military surplus .223 in ammo cans for real short money. $185 mail order from Ohio.

This stuff smells reall wierd? It feels lower power than US made ammo and has misfired about 20% a lot of dented cases in the can. I have shot maybe 7,000 rounds of it and dont plan on buying any more. Also the barrel feels like it is cooking quicker than normal. after 5 or 6 of 50 rd clips the accuracy goes all to hell and I have to let it cool down before continuing

Has anyone else used .223 Military Surplus from Israel? Have you noticed the differance in smell

Does this stuff, by chance, have "223 REM" rollmarked on the side of the case?
(not the casehead, but like printed on the side of the cartridge in a
band). I found some stuff with a TZZ headstamp on it (usually israeli)
but my personal belief is this batch we got is either rejects or commercially
reloaded ammo. I'm almost leaning towards the latter. (mainly due to
smashed primers and the like found in the lot.)

-Mike

Last edited:
headstamp

ok you made me go look.

it has a head stamp ing or i.m.g. 5.56 and various date codes 85 or 86 or 08-85

its all brass

anybody want the emptys to reload?

The Ammo is JUNK!

10,000 live rounds for $185? Please IM the info.

The Ammo is JUNK! Tons of misfires dented cases and rust (Brass rusts?) It must have been swept up off the streets. Thats why it was so cheap. I spent more time clearing jams and cleaning the gun than it was worth, tossed all the old brass in the trash

Just bought some Sellier & Bellot .223 and it shoots perfect. yea it cost a bit but its worth it.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom