Ukraine to receive 1,000,000 rounds of ammunition from US manufacturer

Still, that figure doesn't surprise you?
Not at all, and especially when this is considered also (bold mine):

Between 1965 and 1975, the United States and its allies dropped more than 7.5 million tons of bombs on Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia—double the amount dropped on Europe and Asia during World War II.

Do you know the purpose (or appreciate the use) of suppressive fire?
Yes.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to throw lead....just that many will see 1,000,000 rounds as a mountain of invaders' corpses.

it's no longer like it used to be:

In 1912, the German Kaiser visited Switzerland and asked a Swiss minister what the 250,000 strong Swiss army would do if Germany attacked with 500,000 troops. Reply: "Shoot twice and go home."

A million rounds is a thousand cases. A pallet is what, 5 cases in each direction? So 8 pallets, maybe? That's a fraction of a shipping container. It sounds like a lot when you live in a place that says you mustn't have 25000rds without permission; for a manufacturer it's probably a little more than a rounding error (yes, even now)

A million rounds is a thousand cases. A pallet is what, 5 cases in each direction? So 8 pallets, maybe? That's a fraction of a shipping container. It sounds like a lot when you live in a place that says you mustn't have 25000rds without permission; for a manufacturer it's probably a little more than a rounding error (yes, even now)
There was a dealer selling a 20 foot container of x39, which was 1,072,000 rounds

During World War II it was estimated that 45,000 rounds of small arms ammunition was fired to kill one enemy soldier. In Vietnam the American military establishment consumed an estimated 50,000 rounds of ammunition for every enemy killed.

As a contrast, here's a video of two former NK army escapees commenting about how much ammo the US army uses just in training.
While the NK's are only given 3 or 4 live rounds a year to train with:

View: https://youtu.be/JmdZ__xSYlU?t=179

... the NK's are only given 3 or 4 live rounds a year to train with:

67sm56.jpg

How is this possible? Ammo companies said they were producing maximum and couldn't produce any faster. They also didn't have the primers to produce any more ammo. Now all of a sudden one million rounds, NO PROBLEM . I guess the big shortage was all BS as most of us suspected,

How is this possible? Ammo companies said they were producing maximum and couldn't produce any faster. They also didn't have the primers to produce any more ammo. Now all of a sudden one million rounds, NO PROBLEM . I guess the big shortage was all BS as most of us suspected,
The shortage was people buying like crazy, still the case. There are a lot of new gun owners. This topic has been beaten to death in several threads.

At one point Remington also stopped producing ammo and primers. I dont know what share of the market they had, but it didn't help.

You must understand something....most large ammo manufacturers have continuing contracts to supply the government, they make good money on those contracts and those contracts take usually priority in production.

Ultimately they don't care if you or I have ammo to blast away on the range over the weekend. We are second or third tier consumers. They'll bleed off enough to keep recreational shooters somewhat happy but their contracts will be filled first.

You must understand something....most large ammo manufacturers have continuing contracts to supply the government, they make good money on those contracts and those contracts take usually priority in production.

Ultimately they don't care if you or I have ammo to blast away on the range over the weekend. We are second or third tier consumers. They'll bleed off enough to keep recreational shooters somewhat happy but their contracts will be filled first.
Yeah but this was not a government contract.

A lot of ammo manufacturer is batch based. That is, the production line is set up for a particular product and they run off a lot of that product. But shipping is often done in a steady stream. This is to prevent ups and downs on transportation costs, and keep those working in shipping at a constant level. And most importantly, to prevent radical ups and downs in supply and sale price.
All this means that the amount of ammo in the warehouse goes up and down, They are probably also keep some stock in reserver in case component supply drops and they have an interruption in manufacturing, got to keep the money coming in even if they aren't manufacturing.
And lastly 1M round, as others have said, isn't really that much to have on hand and is a small fraction of production.

The 1M rounds is really a PR stunt, and isn't likely to have a major impact.

Not enough…

”The attacking Russian infantry are mostly poorly trained, often bunching up and making easy targets, say Ukrainian soldiers fighting here.

“They come like zombies. Some wear headlamps—a happy moment for any machine-gunner,” said Pvt. Bohdan Lysenko, who mans the 25 mm automatic cannon on a U.S.-made Bradley Fighting Vehicle with the 47th Brigade.

Drone images show fields littered with the bodies of Russian infantry hit by artillery, including U.S.-supplied cluster munitions. But the Russians keep coming.

“They’re not stupid. It’s a strategy,” said Cpl. Mykhailo Kotsyurba, a Bradley commander in the same company as Lysenko. “They look for weak points, then go there. We don’t have enough ammunition, but they have enough people.”

Back
Top Bottom