Tyngsboro Sportsmen's Club

I'm trying to find some membership info about Tyngsboro Sportsmens. I never know when they meet or to whom I should speak so as to obtain membership info. Furthermore, I can't find a website for them. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

The only thing I have is a phone number: 978-685-3968. While you're waiting to get information from them, Westford Sportsmen's Club is just a couple of miles west. General Meeting is 7:30pm on the 1st Monday of each month (2nd Monday when that's a holiday, as this month); Membership Committee 7:00-7:30pm on the 3rd Monday. PM me any time for a tour.

Ken

I am not a member, but often shoot there as a guest of Jim Conway and a few others (Jim and some others are members here). I'll answer what I sort of understand, but don't consider it definitive as I've never seen membership info posted in the clubhouse there.

Good outdoor pistol and rifle (restricted shooting hours with RO present only) ranges.

They are currently building an indoor range. They never really had one and I'm not sure when this one will be ready to use. They broke ground during our Gabe Suarez class in July. Very nice pond. I think they have both skeet and trap shooting there. Nice clubhouse with 2 rooms for meetings/events/rental. There is a bar in the clubhouse and always folks there on Sunday mornings. They should be able to answer any of your questions. Seem like a nice bunch of folks there.

They let us practice defensive tactics there, but ONLY with Jim Conway or a few other RO/BOD members present . . . something that I can't do at any club (3) I have ever been a member of!

They also allow Jim Conway to bring internationally known/respected trainers to our area for defensive tactics courses. Something that a number of clubs in Southern NH REFUSES to consider (they think it is too "controversial")!

I was told that new members are ONLY voted in at the September meeting each year, miss that deadline and wait a year to join!

They have NO working website. Already visited the URL and then asked Jim Conway why it didn't work . . . many months ago.

You could wait until Jim Conway finds this thread or PM him for more info.

If this club wasn't >50 miles from my home/office, I would join it for certain!

Brent, Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for. Checked it out -- seems to be in need of updating.

Ken, Thank you for the reply. I think we may have already exchanged emails regarding info about the safety class req'd for MA licensing. I have a "short list" of clubs I'm considering for membership and Westford Sportsmen's is on that list. I also am friendly with one of your members. Email privately -- [email protected] -- if you wish to discuss further. As far as my interests are concerned, Westford has two negatives. First, it is NOT a CMP affiliated club. I'm a Garand fan to beat the band and would just love to buy at least one from the CMP. Secondly, Westford's new member fee which is paid above and beyond the annual dues is the highest of any of the clubs I'm considering.

LenS, I have an errand to run tomorrow in the a.m. I think I'll drop by the club & check them out.

Thanks & regards to all who replied.

That Tyngsboro club sounds like it sucks.Seems you can't do a damn thing at the 100yd range without a range officer hovering over you.

Tyngsboro should just come right out and say"Only WE are professional enough to handle rifles".

I'm surprised they even have a membership other than range officers.

Club Fees

To be fair to all those clubs in operation in the Mass./NH area, I see the expenses involved in running these clubs. As Secretary of a area club the expenditures for necessities has risen considerably.

Taxes on the club’s land have jumped in recent years. Plus no one would be surprised to hear that the cost of heating oil purchased for the upcoming year has gone up to a great extent. Add to that club insurance and yes, membership fees have to rise. Unless the club can raise money in other ways, that is the only way to keep the club operating. Without these clubs, our gun collection will become dust collectors.
[roll]

I'll agree that the initiation fee makes the first year a big bite at Westford, but we faced a choice between raising the dues for everyone and hitting just the new members (and those who join for 2-3 years and then dissappear). 299+ acres means a big tax bite, even with the forrestry/recreation exemptions. As for the CMP requirement, note that GOAL is a CMP affiliated "club", thus all GOAL members are already eligible (as are all NRA rifle instructors).

Ken

Massnut, there are a bunch of guys who shoot on Sunday mornings at Tyngsboro from 9 AM to noon - Jim Conway and Howie G. are members of this board. I'll send a PM to Howie alerting him to this thread; I'm sure he can give you the info you need.

FWIW, the outdoor range seemed to be a nice one. Not a long range, but nice for pistol.

Ross

tyngsboro club

Greg said:
That Tyngsboro club sounds like it sucks.Seems you can't do a damn thing at the 100yd range without a range officer hovering over you.

Tyngsboro should just come right out and say"Only WE are professional enough to handle rifles".

I'm surprised they even have a membership other than range officers.
hi all
we only have a 100 yard rifle range because we are close to rt3 and other major road. the ro thing go back to a chelsford leo who was shooting in the wood in chelmsford off dunstable road and a house got hit
and we got blame for it so we have to have a rsp when useing the riflr range. and have sigh up sheets for times. and on sunday when we shoot pislol there on averge about six r.o there so sunday is not a big deal.
and if you join the club. the club pay for you to be come a rso.
any more q. please email me a [email protected]
thanks howie
we are always looking for new shooters. i hope someone didnt give you
bad info of our club

The LEO shooting also explains the very serious eyebrow on the rifle range.

Clubs frequently are forced to take drastic actions to keep their doors open when the citizens start pushing to shut them down!

KMaurer said:
I'll agree that the initiation fee makes the first year a big bite at Westford, but we faced a choice between raising the dues for everyone and hitting just the new members (and those who join for 2-3 years and then dissappear). 299+ acres means a big tax bite, even with the forrestry/recreation exemptions. As for the CMP requirement, note that GOAL is a CMP affiliated "club", thus all GOAL members are already eligible (as are all NRA rifle instructors).

Ken

I fully understand this one Ken. Club operating costs can be very high.
At the Maynard Club, we have an $85 initiation fee, plus chose to raise our annual dues to $150 a couple of yrs back. Members have the option to work for CHITs up to $50 credit, bringing the dues back to $100. Less than 1/3 of the membership take advantage of this.
-Ken C.

I am a new member here. My name is Steve Surdam and it sounds like there might be a few people here that may know me. I grew up in Tyngboro and the sportsmans club is one of the best in the merrimack valley. My mother was the first woman member to open the club up to females as "full" members and was one of the first women to shoot trap for the "C" team. For anyone who says that the club suck is mistaken unless they go there to visit. I began shooting trap at the age of 12 when they used to have it on the site of the outdoor pistol range before the bobby pellitiere hall was being built. I have many fond memories of growing up in that club. The turkey and ham raffles are great there, fishing on the pond and memories of myself swinging on the swing down by the fire pit are just some of the memories I have as a kid there. If there is anyone here who is currently a member of the club there please email me @ [email protected]. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome Steve,

I hope you enjoy it here.

You'll find lots of friends here from Tyngsboro Sportsmen's Club.

I'm not a member there, but have taken Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez courses there over the past 2 years.

You will find Jim Conway, Howie Given, Mike Nastek (rarely), etc. here . . . all are members at Tyngsboro.

Thanks Len, I look forward to future discussions with you and the rest of the folks here. Thanks for having me. I'm sure that i will enjoy this site as I hope to hear from some folks from the Tyngsboro area. I havent been up that way in awile and am looking to see what going on w/ the town. I graduated from T.H.S. in 1995 and moved to the Cape in 1999 after my wife became sick. Thanks agian for having me! ...Steve

I'm a Garand fan to beat the band and would just love to buy at least one from the CMP.
Just join GOAL -- that takes care of your CMP affiliated club requirement. Then take a high power clinic at WSA or Reading and you're all set to get a CMP Garand.

So there's no need to rule out Westford due to the CMP issue.

Tyngsboro Sportsmens Club Trap Teams

Does anyone know when the '06 trap league starts up again? I dont have the time yet to travel up that way and am wondering so I can go to visit the club on a tuesday or wednsday trap meet. Does anyone know if guys like John O'Malley, Armand Lefebve, Paul Hamlin, or Bill McKenney still shoot? Any info is helpful. Thanks.

...Steve

Send a PM to Howie and ask him to check and get back to you. If he doesn't know, he's there often enough to get the info off the bulletin board.

Don't know when league shooting itself begins, but Westford is holding their GLTL Opening Day Fun Shoot & Cookout on April 15th.

Ken

I always enjoyed the westford club. When my mother and and stepfather shot for Tyngsboro, the members were great. They always had food and always opened the bar up to buy drinks.

Back
Top Bottom