• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turnout Low on First Day of Handgun Registration

blindndead

NES Member
By Paul Duggan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 17, 2008; 11:04 AM

In the first hours of the first day that it was legally possible to register handguns in the nation's capital, only one person showed up to do so--and he was turned away because he didn't bring his weapon with him.

This Story
D.C. Tries to Finesse Gun Ruling
First Day For Handgun Registration Gets Little Turnout
Thursday, July 17, Noon ET: Potomac Confidential
Capitol Hill resident Dick A. Heller, whose lawsuit prompted the landmark Supreme Court ruling that scuttled the city's strict firearms control laws, arrived at D.C. police headquarters at 6:30 a.m., 30 minutes before the new gun registration process was scheduled to begin.

Heller, accompanied by his attorney, was met on the steps of the building by a cluster of camera crews and Lt. Jon Shelton, head of the firearms registration unit. In an animated discussion, police explained to Heller that he needed to show officials the guns he wanted to register -- and allow them to be test-fired -- as part of the registration process.

Heller's attorney, Dane von Breichenruchardt, said Heller owns at least two handguns -- a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol and a 9-shot, .22-caliber revolver -- and has stored them for years with a friend in Maryland. Although officials said that gun owners in Heller's situation can bring legally owned firearms from other jurisdictions into the District in order to register them, the attorney said he had told Heller not to do so without written assurance that it was permissible.

After Assistant Police Chief Peter J. Newsham promised Heller in front of a dozen reporters and news cameras that he would "absolutely not" get in trouble for bringing a revolver into the city, von Breichenruchardt said his client would do so another day. Neither Heller nor his attorney seemed upset by the delay.

"I think what's happened here this morning is a misunderstanding of the law, and that's perfectly understandable," von Breichenruchardt said. "We've got this new law in flux. We've got the old law. It's very difficult to figure out how to even legally bring the handgun into the city so you can apply for the registry."

Newsham amiably agreed. "Firearms registration is a pretty complicated set of rules and regulations, and they can be interpreted by reasonable people in different ways," he said. "I'm sure [Heller is] making his own reasonable interpretation. Our understanding of the rule is that Mr. Heller can legally bring his weapon here." When he does, Newsham added, "we will do the best we can to accommodate him and get him a registration."

But Heller and his lawyer angrily criticized the city over other aspects of the handgun ownership and registration process, outlined in emergency legislation that was approved this week by the D.C. Council and Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D).

The new law includes strict storage requirements that opponents of the handgun ban say violate the Supreme Court ruling. Gun owners must keep their pistols at home, unloaded and either disassembled or equipped with trigger locks. Weapons can only be loaded and used if the owner reasonably believes he or she is in imminent danger from an attacker in the home.

The city also has continued to ban most clip-loaded, semi-automatic handguns -- popular with gun enthusiasts -- by including those weapons in its broadly written ban on machine guns, which was not at issue in the Supreme Court ruling. For Heller, Newsham said, that means his Colt .45 cannot be registered.

"It appears that the city does not yet understand the decision and order of the Supreme Court," said Heller, a 66-year-old a security guard.

Von Breichenruchardt accused D.C. officials of "trying to find as many ways as they can to make the process as difficult and unattractive as they can," and predicted that the machine-gun ban will lead to more litigation. "Mayor Fenty promised us he would follow the letter and spirit of the law. He has done neither."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/17/AR2008071700621.html
More.....

The city also has continued to ban most clip-loaded, semi-automatic handguns -- popular with gun enthusiasts
These idiots just don't get it. Enthusiasts? Like religious, free speech, right to privacy, abortion and search and seizure enthusiasts?

Can the DC mayor be put in jail for contempt of court?

Thats what i'm talking about... there needs to be some sort of accountability here. I think this is what is making me absolute irate (among other things), the only people who are being held accountable are us.

I'm hoping there is a firearm registration grace period, just imagine if someone uses their "unregistered and untested" firearm in self defense... god bless ya!

Last edited:
Until some officials are directly threatened with arrest for contempt, I don't
think anything in DC will -actually- change. IMO they're going to drag their
feet as long as they possibly can.

-Mike

Whether or not they understand the law(s) - it is likely most don't give a rat's ass at this point - they are going to do whatever they feel they must.

This is not an issue that laws have ever, or will ever, control. At this point, even those law-abiders are gonna not care.

It is so convoluted, so perposterous, and continues to make a mockery out of anything that might have made sense when all these laws started....it is hilarity at its best.[laugh]

The real D.C. gunnies are just sitting there with their .45's cocked and locked waiting to see what happens next, like they have been doing for years. I wonder how many have applied for the 03 FFL? $30 and they can write off all this shit.

By Paul Duggan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 17, 2008; 11:04 AM

In the first hours of the first day that it was legally possible to register handguns in the nation's capital, only one person showed up to do so--and he was turned away because he didn't bring his weapon with him.

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- District residents can start registering their guns
today. But at least one very high profile application was already rejected.

Dick Heller is the man who brought the lawsuit against the District's
32-year-old ban on handguns. He was among the first in line Thursday
morning to apply for a handgun permit.

But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was
rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City
Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the
clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading
weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns
are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

Rest of article at:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=74036&catid=158

How is a "clip-loaded" handgun any more of a machine gun than a revolver? They both operate mechanically, both go bang when the trigger is pulled most of the time. Morans. (intentional sic).

From that same article in the Washington Post...
Newsham said if anyone shows up to register a semi-automatic pistol that fits the city's definition of a machine gun, police will confiscate the illegal gun but will not immediately arrest the owner. He said police reserve the right to investigate and eventually charge such an owner with violating the machine-gun ban.

I can't imagine anyone having the stones to show up with a semi-auto to test it, but it'd be pretty awesome if they did.

Sooo......basically there is still a ban. Nothing has changed, and the registration process is one of the most complicated and right infringing out there. So why is this allowed to continue?

Soooo … any gun with a magazine that goes in the bottom of the gun is considered a Machinegun? Soooo … that means a Ruger 10/22 is classified as a machinegun?

Makes about as much sense as I'd expect from those idiots.

Heller *denied* registration of his handgun

Heller *denied* registration of his handgun:

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- District residents can start registering their guns today. But at least one very high profile application was already rejected.

Dick Heller is the man who brought the lawsuit against the District's 32-year-old ban on handguns. He was among the first in line Thursday morning to apply for a handgun permit.

But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

Besides obtaining paperwork to buy new handguns, residents also can register firearms they've had illegally under a 180-day amnesty period.

Though residents will be allowed to begin applying for handgun permits, city officials have said the entire process could take weeks or months.

Another link

WASHINGTON -- The plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that overturned Washington's strict 32-year-old handgun ban was among the first people to arrive at police headquarters to try to register his firearm.

Dick Heller showed up early Thursday, the first day that the city began registering residents for handguns, but he did not get to complete the registration process. That's because he did not bring the firearm that he wanted to register with him, News4's Megan McGrath reported.

Heller has been keeping his gun in Maryland and does not believe the amnesty program for people who have kept guns in the District illegally applies to him. Heller and his attorneys said they were worried about transporting the weapon across the border without a license. After police assured him it wasn't a problem, Heller said he would come back later with the gun.

Heller remains upset with the city's unusual restriction that bans weapons that carry more than 12 rounds of ammunition. Heller, who owns about half a dozen guns, also is frustrated that you can register only one for the first 90 days. He said the city isn't following the intent of the Supreme Court's ruling by having such restrictions.

The D.C. Council approved new firearms legislation Tuesday to comply with last month's Supreme Court ruling that struck down the ban. It allows handguns to be kept in the home if they're used only for self-defense and carry fewer than 12 rounds of ammunition.

Heller's gun of choice is a semi-automatic weapon that is stored in Maryland. He will not be able to register it in D.C. under the law. An additional legal challenge has not been ruled out.

"This is a work in progress. We've just begun this morning," he said.

Other D.C. residents who wanted to register a gun began doing so Thursday. A slow stream of people trickled in to police headquarters 300 Indiana Avenue northwest starting at 7 a.m.

Related: Watch The Report

Law student Jordan Schwartz, 23, was among those who came to register.

"People such as myself, people who all they want to do is to be able to live in the District of Columbia without having to worry about self defense," he said.

Schwartz does not yet own a gun and will have to wait until a licensed dealer opens up the District.

A 180-day amnesty period will allow residents to register handguns they have had illegally or guns from other states.

Residents must bring guns unloaded to police headquarters, where they will fill out an application form and police will conduct ballistics tests.

If everything checks out, guns will be returned to owners, and they will get paperwork indicating that registration is in process. After an FBI background check, which takes about 14 days, the guns will be officially registered.

The registration process actually will be faster for people who have had illegal handguns compared with people who want to purchase guns.

A resident who wants to buy a handgun will have to wait at least a month. There are no legal firearms dealers in the city, so weapons will have to be purchased in a state and shipped to dealers in the city.

Police said the first D.C. dealers should be able to accept those guns in two weeks. It takes two more weeks for the registration process to be completed.

This is almost comical. I cant wait to see the legal fallout from this one.

Thanks DC for helping us to get our rights further cemented and in plain speak so the rest of the nations states / locales that hold out will be a cake walk.

So, if that's the case … can't you just shoot your gun homeboy style and it'll be a sideloader? [wink]

Now that, Sir, is forward thinking!

With the exception of the some odd 60-year-old grease guns and some Steyrs, what guns load magazines from the top?

Stripper clips don't count because I've decided that they are now to be called Big Bird Loading Devices and therefore they circumvent the laws as written. Furthermore, my Sig 229 is, henceforth, to be known as a Hornswagler Didiobott, thus it is also exempt from ANY gun legislation....wait for it.....BECAUSE IT"S NOT A GUN!

Last edited:
I was reading an article and it appears the penalty for a place like D.C to be held in contempt of SCOTUS is that it could lose its home/self rule. IE Mayor and all the cronies lose their jobs (for the time being).

I will try and dig up where I found it.

Last edited:
Discrimination against Blacks didn't magically end after Brown v The Board of Education and our fight didn't magically end after Heller v DC.

It wasn't the Beginning of the End, it was simply the End of the Beginning. Now the war goes on.

Regards
John

Discrimination against Blacks didn't magically end after Brown v The Board of Education and our fight didn't magically end after Heller v DC.

It wasn't the Beginning of the End, it was simply the End of the Beginning. Now the war goes on.

Regards
John
Someone was listening to Savage last nite............. My gut feeling is that 99.9% of residents in D.C. own semi-auto and want to see what happens to the unfortunate soul that tries to register it. I suspect it will be confiscated and they will further be labeled as "unsuitable" in the eyes of CLEO. All those remaining semi owners will stay underground.

Back
Top Bottom