• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turning 14” mossberg shockwave (or similar firearms) into AOW’s legality discussion in Massachusetts

Rob_Krim

NES Member
As the title states I’ve gotten mixed answers on this question before. I know it’s ok on a federal level but complying with state laws, could I go through the AOW process and install a pistol grip onto my mossberg shockwave, or any other similar firearms (Remington tac14, Charles Daly honcho, black aces tactical etc…) and be able to legally go through with it according to our state laws? I know because it’s a firearm and not a shotgun I wouldn’t be making an SBS here in Massachusetts. Also as another question regarding SBS legality in this state, if I were to find an ffl willing to take in a factory made SBS and sell it to me would I be able to legally possess it in this state? Thank you for the input.

To answer your second question, Yes legal to possess a SBS in MA, not legal for an FF to transfer it as it is considered a pistol and is not on the roster. Never really researched the AOW thing, you are correct is saying your shockwave never was a shotgun, so I would think it could be done without issue same as turning the shockwave into a SBS on a form 1

Again, I know quite a few ffl shops that can and do and have transferred me over off roster firearms (I won’t name any names)

And I would consider going the sbs form 1 route but from my understanding you aren’t allowed to “make” a SBS because that would fall under the “sawn off shotgun” classification in the state laws.

And I would consider going the sbs form 1 route but from my understanding you aren’t allowed to “make” a SBS because that would fall under the “sawn off shotgun” classification in the state laws.
Yes lots of FFL will transfer off roster firearms, but will any transfer an SBS on a Form 4? and will the ATF approve the form 4? You are not making a sawed off shotgun because you are not starting with a shotgun or ending up with a shotgun ( per MA law) after the form one is approved, You stated this yourself in your first post, in regards to an AOW

So I could just forgo the AOW idea and go through with the SBS process and I’ll be good to go with the state as well?

Yes sir. As long as you don’t start the process with a shotgun, A virgin receiver or a shockwave is fine.

Ok thank you for the input. I wish there was a sticky thread or something. I found some info about sbs here on the forums but it was from over 10 years ago. I wonder if I should contact a firearms attorney and pay for some legal advise to be safe. This state can be so confusing sometimes they way they make these asinine laws

It has been discussed hear several times in the past couple years, I personally don’t see any need for an attorney, the law seems pretty clear as written, just need to pay attention to the definitions of what you have in MGL not fed law. There was a letter from the AG around somewhere, saying they consider the shockwave a pistol. Search through the shockwave threads, should be a lot of discussion about all this. How to get a shockwave in state and form 1’s on SBS’s

There is no way to form 4 a SBS to an inmate of MA. A SBS is a “firearm” in MA and subject to the roster. The mechanisms for you acquiring an off roster “firearm” do not work with NFA items. The ATF will not approve the form 4 in any case.

SBS needs to be a form 1 build from a receiver that you never possessed as a shotgun. It does not have to be a virgin, just something you acquired as a receiver. Any 07 FFL can manufacture a shotgun into a receiver and sell/transfer you the naked receiver.

I assume your AOW question is a tax stamp addition of a forward pistol grip to a pistol. I am not sure how this applies to the shockwave. Is a forward pistol grip a thing? What are you trying to do?

I was originally intending to install a pistol grip onto my shockwave first, not a forward pistol grip, hence the AOW question, then was thinking about the possibility of going the SBS route with it (if possible) that way I could switch between pistol grip and buttstock when I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom