Turkeys

Opening day is Monday, I'll be taking the morning off to hunt a gobbler I called out last week in Westford. Anyone else going out?

Last week my dog went nuts. I looked outside and there were 9 gobblers pecking around on my lawn, they were fat too!. They were no more that 4 feet from my front steps.

Went to get my camera and by the time I got back, they had wandered into the woods...[frown]

I'm looking forward to hunting this year for the first time.

I have no qualms about gutting & cutting up a turkey, but what's the best way to get the feathers out?

Also, more importantly, so I don't end up having to dig out the bullet from it's body, I suppose I should aim for its head.

Pluck out or cut out the large feathers or the ones you intend on keeping. Boil a large pot of water. Hold the bird upside down. You're going to scoop the water and pour it on the areas of the bird to 'scald' the skin. This loosens the feathers so you can rip them out. I use the pour method rather than the 'bath' method because if you don't watch the pot, you cook the bird unintentionally. Oh, do this OUTSIDE unless you want your house to look and smell like a slaughterhouse.

For the little 'hairs' that remain, you can use a propane touch to burn/singe them off or you can 'wax' them off with a waxing kit. (similar to what women use to take off body hair)

If you don't care to eat the skin, you can always skin the bird. A lot less messy but I always like the skin.

I've seen people just breast out the bird by stepping on both wings breast side up and yanking upwards with the legs. This tears out the breast meat but there is alot of waste.

Back
Top Bottom