• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Hunting

Dang, I fogots to get me one of them thar safety stickers for my new turkey health management tool.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_turkey.htm

13. SAFETY STICKER:
A person shall not hunt wild turkey by means of a shotgun, or have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless that person has obtained a "safety sticker" as provided or approved by the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife and affixed the sticker to his shotgun in such a manner that the sticker is visible to the shooter while sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. Safety stickers are not required of persons hunting turkey by archery.

Damn! Now I have to take all those freakin' stickers off my arrows!!![shocked]

I'm hopin I get mine in time, gonna take care of it on thursday...I don't think it will be too much of a problem, I got my last license in within one day of applying online...

I'm hopin I get mine in time, gonna take care of it on thursday...I don't think it will be too much of a problem, I got my last license in within one day of applying online...

I ordered mine on Friday afternoon, and it was in my mailbox on Saturday morning!

A mouth diaphragm. I can't remember the make. It's taken me a while to learn it but it works[smile]

Cool! I just picked one up the other day, and have been practicing with it. The only 2 things that I hate, is it tickles my tongue, and it drives my dog crazy, so she jumps on me and tries to take it away from me when I use it.

Cool! I just picked one up the other day, and have been practicing with it. The only 2 things that I hate, is it tickles my tongue, and it drives my dog crazy, so she jumps on me and tries to take it away from me when I use it.

You get used to it. Keep practicing. I did a google search for audio files of turkeys and they helped.
There's a guy at work who has one too. He works mids and sometimes we'll start making noise in the station at shift change. Drives the other guys nuts!

how long does it take for the turkey tags/permits, and little dtickers to come in. I paid and applied 3 weeks ago in westboro?

I did my renewal online two months ago and had all of my licenses and stamps for the season in less than five days. Stickers I get from Acton by sending a return envelope, usually in a couple days.
If you paid at Westboro they have the stickers there. Did you ask for one? Were you renewing or was this an initial?
Either way, I'd call and ask them the status. Seems you've been waiting a little too long. Believe it or not they're usually right on top of these things.

[cheers]

i have a quaker boy push button and a knight and hale box call... i plan on mastering the mouth call before long

How's that Quaker worked out for you? I saw a nice hand made walnut one a guy had made at a shop up in northeast Connecticut years ago and I thought "Too pretty to take out going after turkey." I kick myself for not grabbing it 'cause it was like $10 and sounded really good. The shop owner worked the call real well.

Anyone gearing up for Turkey season?

where are some good areas to hunt turkey? I live in Billerica.

Is it easier to find public land or get permission to hunt private land?

How do you figure out who owns the land you want to get permission to hunt?

Thanks

The state park land is open and varied in Billerica, just be careful of the 500' to houses in the area.

Yeah my house is one of those within 500' [smile]

anyone know specifically about manning state forest?

I think that Manning state forest and Billerica state forest are the same, I hunted there last fall on the south side of rte. 129. With home owner permission, the 500' rule does not apply.

I did my renewal online two months ago and had all of my licenses and stamps for the season in less than five days. Stickers I get from Acton by sending a return envelope, usually in a couple days.
If you paid at Westboro they have the stickers there. Did you ask for one? Were you renewing or was this an initial?
Either way, I'd call and ask them the status. Seems you've been waiting a little too long. Believe it or not they're usually right on top of these things.

[cheers]

i replaced a destroyed licence, i bought from walmart(they ripped the tags). i applied and that was it. i got nothing back. who do i call?

i replaced a destroyed licence, i bought from walmart(they ripped the tags). i applied and that was it. i got nothing back. who do i call?

First I'd check here http://www.sport.state.ma.us/ to see the status.Click on the orange button on the left then use option #2.
And, then I'd call Mass wildlife Field Headquarters @ (508) 389-6300. Good luck.

First I'd check here http://www.sport.state.ma.us/ to see the status.Click on the orange button on the left then use option #2.
And, then I'd call Mass wildlife Field Headquarters @ (508) 389-6300. Good luck.

"There are currently no licenses held by the customer"

but i bought a licence twice! is it possible they have not updated the system? they had all my info.

How's that Quaker worked out for you? I saw a nice hand made walnut one a guy had made at a shop up in northeast Connecticut years ago and I thought "Too pretty to take out going after turkey." I kick myself for not grabbing it 'cause it was like $10 and sounded really good. The shop owner worked the call real well.

its a really simple no nonsense call it sounds good . i mailed in my turkey permit back in febuary and i havent recived it yet, should i call the southeast district office and see why i havent?

its a really simple no nonsense call it sounds good . i mailed in my turkey permit back in febuary and i havent recived it yet, should i call the southeast district office and see why i havent?

Sounds good. I may have to pick one up. I'm a bit of a gadget hound. What's the call made of and how's it held up?
Did you receive a renewal or initial sport or hunting license this year and are just waiting on your stamp?
Westborough and Acton have always been really good to deal with. Westborough is the main field headquarters and I haven't dealt with Buzzards Bay but if that's where you sent in your app I'd say call SE district and if you don't find out what you need to then call Westborough. Unless, you sent it in the last week of February you should be seeing it in the mail now or already have seen it.
FWIW - Licensing online the last two seasons has been a breeze. All the stamps, tags, and licenses come in together within days.

Sounds good. I may have to pick one up. I'm a bit of a gadget hound. What's the call made of and how's it held up?
Did you receive a renewal or initial sport or hunting license this year and are just waiting on your stamp?
Westborough and Acton have always been really good to deal with. Westborough is the main field headquarters and I haven't dealt with Buzzards Bay but if that's where you sent in your app I'd say call SE district and if you don't find out what you need to then call Westborough. Unless, you sent it in the last week of February you should be seeing it in the mail now or already have seen it.
FWIW - Licensing online the last two seasons has been a breeze. All the stamps, tags, and licenses come in together within days.

the call is made out a light wood and the push button rod is made out of graphite and it looks kinda of fragile and i would go easy on it.

i bought my hunting license over the counter and im just waiting for my turkey permit, i sent in my turkey permit applaction to the main office at the beggining of february.

Last edited:
I bought my license online. Ordered the turkey permit at the same time. I had them in my hands 2 days later.

Man, that safety sticker thing is stupid. I guess if you're stupid enough to shoot at movement without identifying your target, maybe your brain is simple enough that the sticker will make a difference. I'm not a hunter (yet anyway), but I just don't understand how people can shoot without being sure of their target.

B.B.s for Turkey

I reload my own 12 Ga shells and was thinking of doing some sabot BB loads for turkeys.

Sabots using the plastic hull of a 20 GA inside of a 12 GA plastic shell

They shoot really tight choke as the hull does not peel away like the typical wadding.

I bet you could shoot this from a Rifled 12 GA Slug Barrel for some prety good distance without the pattern opening up.

Have any of you tried doing this?

100 yrd plus head shots on turkeys might be possible

Back
Top Bottom