Turk Mausers

SKS Ray

NES Member
Heres a few shots of my Turk Mausers. Some of the cheapest and most accurate milsurps you can get.

c5126596.jpg

f6cbe13d.jpg

14d0c88b.jpg

The one with the striping in the stock is all matching. A rarity in the world of Turk Mausrers. My wife got it for me for my birthday last December.[smile]

Last edited:
Hay Mil4 how much work did you have to do on the stocks to get them to
look that great, and i thought that the turks were not that accurate??
i thought i read that on shooting milsurps .com? maybe not!! but those
look super!!! how are the bores typicaly?? the ones iv seen were rough!
anyway nice looking rifles.
S.D.

You have some real purdy ones there!!!

There was 2 or 3 Turkish '38 8mm mausers at Kittery and they were clean and looked good too.

I got one when they were $39.95 it was my very first C&R FFL purchase about 4 1/2 years ago in very good condition. I should of bought more back then too.

Last edited:
Turk stocks can be cleaned with Purple Power from Wal Mart. I spray em straight and scrub with an scotch brite pad. Then after drying I apply tung oil and once they're dry buff em down with 00 steel wool and then with a shop rag.
Its the traditional long barrel Mauser design, so accuracy is better than what you'll get from a K98 style. The first one I picked up at a gun show for $115. High for a Turk. Its missmatched, but the bore is like new and the crown is sharp as hell. Prints 5 shots in half dollar sized circle at 50 yards. Opens up a bit at 100 but not much. No bad recoil on these and greasy but easy to clean. Must be the Turk cosmolene.
Get em while you can, and ask for matching bolt if you're buying from places with a handpick option. Once the good ones are gone, all that will be left are overpriced sewer pipes.

Hi there again! i have a question about those turk Mausers,i have an opertunity to buy one with two cases of ammo for $150.00 and the
guy that has it say,s that it shoots about 3Ft high @ 100Yds is that
what the battle sights will give you?? and did you add hight to yours
to make them shoot good at 100Yds? i do realize that the ammo alone
is worth the Buck and a Half!! and i think i will buy it just to get the two
crates of ammo and if the gun doesent impress me i can sell it or make
a floor-lamp out of it, so whats the skinny on the sights??

"thanks Mil-4Me" Appreciate a ComeBack!! S.D.

3 ft high at 100 sounds like a Swedish Mauser since thier sites start at 300. The Turks are set for 100, someone must have tinkered with the front blade. Theyre notorious for bad solder holding the front sites on, but i've heard its an easy fix to correct. Both of mine are dead on even at 50 and 100.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info i will have to give it a try if i can get the turk i have been trying to call the guy that has it but havent caught up with him yet
and i know another guy that knows about the deal Turk& 2 Cases of ammo
so im anxious!! S.D s.a.s.s 17925

I did catch up with the guy with the Turk and the two cases of ammo!!
the ammo is in the basement and the turk took me to the range, i only
had about an hour to spend with it, thats the beauty of living a mile and
a half from the range, i realy didn,t think i would be interested in hanging
onto it but i kinda liked it and lets face it the price was right!! only one
thing, the safety wont go on i tryed to take the bolt apart and O.M.G.
the end piece came off the fireing pin stuck through the bolt face, i dont
know how i got it back together??? but i think i will leave it like it is!!!
the gun shoots and the safety is still broke, i think it would cost more to
fix it than its worth! and thats (Dinky-Dow)

Take Care Sheriff Dudley sass#17925

I must have missed something about (May)??? whats up? i am shooting in
the Eastern Mass Rifle League the last Saterday in april and the first two Saterdays in May, other than that im free, or cheap, whatever??
S.D.

Turkish Mauser cleaning tips?

My first gun purchase is a Turkish Mauser.
It was also my first run at cleaning a gun.
After the 40 pounds of cosmoline I got to something that actually shoots very
well with a very clean bore for a 70 year old gun.
I shoot surplus (i.e. corrosive) ammo and I'm paranoid that I'll be ruining it.
I've heard that simple ammonia can help with that, but what I want to know is, how paranoid about cleaning the Turk should I really be?
Is it a must to clean it thoroughly after every session?
How thorough?

How can you really tell if a 70 year old gun barrel is clean? The patches come out pretty much black every time [thinking]

I'm pretty new when it comes to actually owning and shooting a gun (I was only recently able to work upon my interest since I'm too sociable a guy and didn't know where to begin, until recently) but I have a longtime interest in guns and especially the military.

I recommend spraying Windex down the bore, while you're still at the range, and the barrel is warm.

Soon as you get home, clean it good, using a good bore cleaner (not CLP). Reclean it a couple more times over the next week.

Don't forget the bolt face. Lube everything with a decent lube after (CLP is good for this).

I've got a couple of Mosin Nagants that have bores that look like the inside of Sewer Pipes. They won't let a patch come out clean.

ts76 said:
My first gun purchase is a Turkish Mauser.
It was also my first run at cleaning a gun.
After the 40 pounds of cosmoline I got to something that actually shoots very
well with a very clean bore for a 70 year old gun.
I shoot surplus (i.e. corrosive) ammo and I'm paranoid that I'll be ruining it.
I've heard that simple ammonia can help with that, but what I want to know is, how paranoid about cleaning the Turk should I really be?
Is it a must to clean it thoroughly after every session?
How thorough?

How can you really tell if a 70 year old gun barrel is clean? The patches come out pretty much black every time [thinking]

I'm pretty new when it comes to actually owning and shooting a gun (I was only recently able to work upon my interest since I'm too sociable a guy and didn't know where to begin, until recently) but I have a longtime interest in guns and especially the military.

One good cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo is all you need, followed by a light coat of oil on all metal surfaces inside and out. Biggest thing you need to remember about shooting corrosive ammo is that you need a water based cleaner to disolve the salt deposits, then an oil to protect the metal because the cleaner be it hot water, amonia based glass cleaner, or M-Pro7, will leave the metal unprotected and bare.
Don't worry about the patches coming out dirty even after a thorough cleaning. These are old military rifles that have many imperfections in the bore that allow fouling to get in and stay put. Unless you have a Swiss K31 with a mirror bright bore that never had corrosive ammo shot through it and never will, i'd expect at least a grey patch every time.
For a link that explains in dteail my method and what others use for corrosive ammo clean up, click this one. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6140

So it sounds like I was rightfully concearned with keeping it clean... I wasn't sure if I was paranoid but seeing what you guys go through I guess I'm about right.
I've only shot the thing twice now.
I unfortunately have one place to shoot that I can go to on a regular basis, and
For another, the cleanup isn't easy to do in an apartment my size.
I noticed the first time I cleaned it though that I would get a few very bright blue spots on the patches.
Not a lot, and not every time, but small specks, about the color of Windex (I assure you it wasn't Windex) I fear that it is rust [sad2] ... yet looking down the bore it seems clean as a whistle (sure the patches come out grey... but that's not a surprise) and it seems to shoot just fine.
Hard to attest to it's accuracy, since I'm a beginner I don't quite believe I'm good enough to "blame the gun" for missing [wink]
Is the blue a real concearn or something else to just expect?
I hope to get a German one as my next 'historic' purchase, as M1s are way out of my range. Hmm.. maybe a Mosin...

ts76 said:
So it sounds like I was rightfully concearned with keeping it clean... I wasn't sure if I was paranoid but seeing what you guys go through I guess I'm about right.
I've only shot the thing twice now.
I unfortunately have one place to shoot that I can go to on a regular basis, and
For another, the cleanup isn't easy to do in an apartment my size.
I noticed the first time I cleaned it though that I would get a few very bright blue spots on the patches.
Not a lot, and not every time, but small specks, about the color of Windex (I assure you it wasn't Windex) I fear that it is rust [sad2] ... yet looking down the bore it seems clean as a whistle (sure the patches come out grey... but that's not a surprise) and it seems to shoot just fine.
Hard to attest to it's accuracy, since I'm a beginner I don't quite believe I'm good enough to "blame the gun" for missing [wink]
Is the blue a real concearn or something else to just expect?
I hope to get a German one as my next 'historic' purchase, as M1s are way out of my range. Hmm.. maybe a Mosin...

That blue is copper fouling. Definitely no harm in getting that out, and no harm in some being in there. Over time copper can build up and decrease accuracy, but they sell copper cutting cleaners just for that.
Rust will come out orange and is usually only visible and removed by using an oil based product like Break Free or Kroil.
Don't count out getting an M1. You'll spend less on an M1 Garand from CMP (around $300 for a shooter thats seen better days) than what you will for a real German bring back rifle like a non import stamped K98 which can fetch upwards of $800 and more.
Of course theres always Russian capture German K98 rifles but they're re-arsenaled, import marked, and often have the markings stamped out. Even then you're talking around $200.
One thing I learned in collecting milsurps that I wish someone would have told me when I started out is get the deals now before they're gone. Take Steyr M95 straight pull rifles for example. They rarely pop up and there are some out there now from the big distributors. These are scarce rifles and when they're gone the prices will go way up. When I got my first K31 a few years ago it was $79. Now they're almost double that cause they are drying up.
If its cheap and you don't see them everywhere, grab it. Pay attention to whats hot now by hitting message boards and reading what guns people are excited about getting like Savage Enfields, K31s, etc. Even if you wind up eventually not liking the gun, if you buy it from a distributor at a fair price, it'll be worth more than what you paid for it by the time you realize its not for you.

Back
Top Bottom