TT-33 pistols and ammo

mac1911

NES Member
I am in the decision mode for purchase.
What I would like to know is there a noticable differance in quality between the Romanian and polish pistols?
Also what is the better surplus ammo.

I am in the decision mode for purchase.
What I would like to know is there a noticable differance in quality between the Romanian and polish pistols?
Also what is the better surplus ammo.

From my experiences with surplus guns, most Polish models on M44s, AKs, etc. are all better than Romanian models. I have a Romanian TT and its well made. Now there are Yugoslavian, Romanian and Polish models of these pistols available.

Oddly enough the Polish models are the cheapest in price and Yugoslavian being the highest.[hmmm]

As for ammo, buy new production. Its clean, reliable, not too pricey, and you don't have to worry if you get lazy and don't want to clean after shooting. Some surplus is pretty hot because it was designed for sub guns and all the surplus 7.62x25 is corrosive. I can't remember what country of origin, but there was a rumor a while back of some really bad surplus 7.62x25 floating around.

I have not seen any yugos as of recent search \, just the roma/pol versions. I will still buy a case of surplus to have on hand. I mean really 2000+ rounds for 240.00

I have seen both the Polish and Romanian guns currently in the surplus market. I have a Romanian, and, disappointingly, I didn't think the typical Polish fit and finish was any better. Both have kludged-on safeties for import. I kind of like the Romanian one better, but neither are fine examples of function or style. Be aware the Yugo, like many other things Yugo, is a bit different, with a longer grip which takes a different magazine, too, IIRC.

I have Yugo, Chinese, Romanian, Bulgarian, and commercial (Wolf) ammo. I like them in that order. I have not tried the Polish ammo on the market, as at least one distributor says to expect cracked necks before you fire. [thinking] All the surplus but the Bulgarian is nice, shiny, sure-fire stuff. All the surplus stuff is corrosive, so remember the wind ex or Ballistic. The Bulgarian (that's the stuff SKAS Ray was thinking of with a bad rap a few years back) is cheap blasting ammo (well, it's all cheap), although occasionally some rounds require a second strike, and a number of the case mouths split after firing. Not that reloading is a big concern. The Yugo stuff is great stuff. The Chinese stuff is hard to come by. I jumped on a few thousand a couple of years ago (yes, before I had my T-33. [HM]). The Romanian ammo is available from AIM at $129/1224 rd tin, which stores nicely.

The commercial stuff (I have Wolf, but S&B also loads it commercially) is really nice, but at $19/50 ($38/rd) for FM, it's not in the same cheap-to-shoot class as $8.5/70 Yugo ($.12/rd) or even cheaper Romanian ($.10/rd). (I got my Bulgy at $.08/rd.)

Fun little guns. Very flat and compact, passable sights, and they make a nice bark, especially when shooting near dusk. Can't go wrong for the price of the gun and ammo, not these days. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
T33

I have the chinese gun new with holster and shoulder strap.you should also be able to fire 30 mauser.as that is what it is.
one thing I took the safety of as it was very unreliable. low and behold it has a safety any way just pull on hammer to first notch and you will find it wont fire.dang ATF.

I will be looking into it. I am not looking for any collectors so to speak I just like the milsurp stuff. I like the CZs also which I have 82 and 52. Now I am just likeing the 7.62x25 cal guns. I dont have a real destination with my collecting. just what catches me at the moment funds are there. I want shooters though. I use my guns. No queens or purty guns for me. I would love more US milsurps but they are beyound my target price of 300.00 or less for now. Allthough I did order a 2nd Garand!!!

I have 2 Polish, 1 Russian, 2 Romanian, 1 Yugoslavian, 2 Chinese pistols. The Russian is the TT33.

I personally like the Yugoslavian the best. Built like a tank. Like most of their stuff, SKS and AK's.

The polish pistols are very well made, the fit and finish on mine are outstanding. Just do what I did. Buy a bunch. [smile]

Last edited:
consider selling any FFL03 ?

who me.....no not really. it took me a long time to find these beauties and wont part with them.

I did have a Romanian for sale on the classified. I received allot of tire kicker emails but when it came time to come up with the cash they all disappeared. So I brought it to a show and sold it there.[smile]

There are some for sale from two large retailers but I cant post the names of them on this forum. PM me and I will let you know.

50BMG Yes I missed the funds dealine of your posting. Although I did get a CZ52 with the funds when they came. I now have sold some other items and funds are there for a TT33 nock off. Although I have been offered 1st look see @ a estate of firearms that will be sold soon.

50BMG you are right the only way it to have a # of them. I am checking out a few for a early christmas present

Went with a polish model found locally, 180.00. Its in very good shape with some small pitting on frame and slide, has been refinished @ some point. I like it. Now I may hunt down a Romanian......... I have a 7.62x25 bug!

100_1318.jpg

CZ82 with import on the left side of slide, allthough it is very nice lettering. Its a lousy spot
100_1319.jpg

CZ52 bottom of frame under barrel.
100_1322.jpg

CZ82 bottom edge of slide. This and the 52 seem to use the dot style of lettering.
To me these are not bad considering the free hand crap that is on my SKS. I did not have it on hand to show but my polish TT33 is not very good either it uses the same dot type stampings but is messy and uneven. I high lighted the best I could with a yellow crayon. Also my camera skills are not good.

Last edited:
I have just purchased the Romanian one and it shoots great. I really love the gun and may look for more and see if I can get the Yugo. I bought 1k rounds of the Polish ammo though and about 1/4 of the ones I shot (only 100 rounds so far) split and I had two duds. Be very wary of this ammo. I did not notice any of the splits until after I started cleaning up the brass when ready to leave. I wish I would have known about this problem with this particular ammo before I bought that much.

I ended up buying a Polish "circle 11" gun from one of the major retailers. Its fun to shoot, a little frosty on the sides, but the barrel was in good shape and so far has had no mechanical problems. You can see some of the rust in front of the ejection port.

cr006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom