• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

True or False

The last time I bought a new pistol I stopped off at the range on the way home, field striped it, applied a light lube (it was dry from the cabinet) and fired off 100 rounds.

I think your going to get plenty of emphatic responses on either side, so I'll take the middle ground.

You are supposed to field strip and clean/oil your pistol before you shoot it for the first time?

Not necessary, but it won't hurt. In many cases the OEM test fires it at least once just prior to boxing it so clearly they aren't worried.

I do. Just to check it out and to make sure everything is in place and condition of parts and so forth.

I always do.

It helps you get a better understanding of the function of the gun before you shoot it.

It allows you to identify any potential problems which may require you to take the gun back to where you bought it (especially important for used guns).

It allows you to identify and fix any serious problems that may occur BEFORE they happen.

Increases the odds that your first shots will be successful. There's nothing worse than that sinking feeling you get when you take your new gun to the range, and it malfunctions on the first magazine.

Case in point when I took my new Ruger III to the range (it was the first gun I'd bought new). My first magazine was full of jams and malfunctions - it completely ruined my night, and freaked me out that I had done something wrong. I took it home, stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it. Next take, it ran fine.

Of the 3 pistols I've purchased, I field stripped them and checked for adequate lubrication or any fouling prior to firing for the first time. Then it was off to the range and fired away! So I'd have to agree, it's probably not 100% necessary, but I do it anyway.

Plus I'm always curious as to how a new piece comes together, so it's kinda fun, haha.

In general, I would say it is A Good Thing to field strip and clean the gun prior to firing. At least run a Bore Snake through it, if just to be absolutely sure there is no chaff in the bore.

That said, I put a box through my CS 9 on the way home from purchasing it. [wink]

True. A quick wipe down and a little oil now and then after carrying it often helps too.

Well kind of [thinking], I think you should at least know the firearm before you shoot it. That said I will say that on numerous occasions, I have headed directly from the gun store to the range, without passing GO or disassembling anything.

I field stripped it last night and the slide is oiled up and the barrel is too along with the hood. I took a look down the barrel under a light and its as clean as a whistle.

I always did until I bought a ruger mark III and nearly ruined it trying to field strip it. I took it back to four seasons, they couldn't field strip it. We sent it back to Ruger, who sent it back to four seasons saying there was nothing wrong with it.

I always field strip and lubricate prior to shooting a gun. I do get funny looks from the other folks on the range when I do this, however.

Oh, you meant the gun. Nevermind.

I always did until I bought a ruger mark III and nearly ruined it trying to field strip it. I took it back to four seasons, they couldn't field strip it. We sent it back to Ruger, who sent it back to four seasons saying there was nothing wrong with it.

New guns can sometimes be difficult to strip the first time, and the Mk III is particularly notorious for being difficult to strip and reassemble. The first time I stripped mine it took me two hours to get it apart, and I had to put it away in pieces and come back to it the next night before I got it back together.

My friend purchased a new Walther PPK-S, and it was so difficult to strip we had to take it to a gunsmith. He ended up putting it into a vice and beating on it with a mallet for a couple minutes before the slide finally came off.

I give it a quick once over.

If it's something like an S+W, which uses a normal lube on their guns, I just inspect it, and then shoot the thing.

If it's something like a brand new SigSauer, the gun and magazines need to be ripped apart, cleaned, and then the gun must be relubed before firing- the grease they put on these from the factory is usually a preservative and not a
lubricant.

-Mike

New guns can sometimes be difficult to strip the first time, and the Mk III is particularly notorious for being difficult to strip and reassemble. The first time I stripped mine it took me two hours to get it apart, and I had to put it away in pieces and come back to it the next night before I got it back together.

My friend purchased a new Walther PPK-S, and it was so difficult to strip we had to take it to a gunsmith. He ended up putting it into a vice and beating on it with a mallet for a couple minutes before the slide finally came off.

I was about to describe what it takes to strip a Winchester 190 22 LR (requires taking the stock off to insert the return spring) but that PPK story is way more bizarre. Almost as bad as a AMT Backup but at least with that, you can get it apart, just not back together again. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom