Troy MCS First Range Report!!

I think I must have said "holy shit" every time I looked into the spotter. The Troy MCS has done more than add rails and a nifty option for AR gear - it's truly transformed my rifle into more than I could have imagined. I think I knew that in a way, as I was assembling this unit yesterday. It's such a well-thought out piece of equipment. It's not like dropping an action into a stock - not at all. The stock and the rifle become one solid unit.

From the first pull of the trigger I was impressed. By the time I tweaked the Trijicon to target, I was thoroughly stunned. Recoil management is improved greatly. With the already effective SOCOM brake, the chevron of the Trijicon barely left the center - follow ups were sublime. Recoil seems more focused if that makes sense to anyone. I had left my large sight-in targets in the garage and the results posted are at 100-yards on 7" Shoot-N-See's I fished out of my range bag, (notice the lack of flyers on the paper - that is totally unusual for me). I am no precision shooter - not even close. I have a wealth of bad habits, but not being crammed up against the receiver heel for cheek weld is something else. The LOP of the A2 stock is perfect. Having optics centerline and as close as I want them is awesome. The fit, finish and feel of this stock when shooting is like driving a Ferrari.

Next week, I'm mounting up my Swift 4-18x44 on deck and stretch out a bit, but for the time being, I'm absolutely amazed - this is by far the best shooting I've ever done with my SOCOM-16!! I can only imagine what this stock would bring to someone with a full-sized M1A for long range work...Here are some obligitory pics - the final shot being my last 20-round group with South African Milsurp - not too shabby:

HPIM1507_1.jpg

HPIM1514.jpg

HPIM1508_1.jpg

HPIM1516.jpg

+1

- darnit, you just spent my next $650.00 for me. I had been looking at the Sage stocks for my M1A, now I might have to get one of these Troys.

I think for the money, you'll do better with the Troy, (plus it's made here in Mass)...I like the Sage stocks, but like this one much more in so many different ways - to me, it's a better design altogether.....Give Tony a call or drop him an E-Mail - he's one of the most top-shelf guys I've done business with. Knows more about the M-14 and stocks, (he designs and builds many) than anyone I've met. Link: Law483. Tell him mark sent ya... [wink]

Let me know if you want a second opinion on that unit. I'm a new member at LSA and look forward to seeing you at the range sometime. I know I'll recognize your goods.

Mark that is a beautiful gun ... makes me want one haha.

I see your location is "In The Woods Off Exit 2". I am in Pittsfield ( :( ) but my parents are in Lee where I grew up. Where is that range? I have been looking for a nice outdoor range to shoot. Thanks.

I see your location is "In The Woods Off Exit 2". I am in Pittsfield ( :( ) but my parents are in Lee where I grew up. Where is that range? I have been looking for a nice outdoor range to shoot. Thanks.

LSA, (Lee) is a nice range - good folks running it. A few quirks, (as with any range - mostly interpersonal mumbo jumbo, but great). Decent indoor multi lane pistol facility, archery range, skeet, trap and turkey shoot ranges. The rifle range is set at 50, 100 and 200 yards. No rapid fire, no C3. We're having a Steak Roast on the 21st - why don't you come by?? Anyone in the Area, (Berkshires) or who wants to drive in and do some shooting, I'd be more than happy to let you take the SOCOM-MCS for a spin. I'm getting thin on 7.62x51, so bring some ammo and have at it... [grin]

The range is on Fairview St. in Lee.

http://www.leesportsmen.com/

Last edited:
Neptune - Thanks for the link. Yeah I took some classes there when I was younger. I joined/unjoined the Lenox club and am glad that others like the Lee club as that is where I was thinking of going. Thanks for the info guys. See you there.

Okay, so here's Troy MCS Optics Mounting 101: Step 1 - Remove Trijicon Tripower. Step 2 - Put scope on gun. It's sublime really considering what my optics options and mounting options were before the Troy MCS.

It took me a while and I burned through a lot of ammo trying to get dialed in, (forgot my laser boresighter) and NeptuneCat was hogging the 50-yard lane, (just kidding - he offered), so I sighted in at 100-yards. By the end of the range session, misses were completely shooter related, (in other words, I stink), but managed some super groups with the Swift 4-18x44 on deck.

And by the way, NeptuneCat confirms: The SOCOM is loud... [grin]

And by the way, NeptuneCat confirms: The SOCOM is loud... [grin]

I didn't used to find it comfortable to shoot the SKS with muffs on, just plugs. I learned to use both on Sat. afternoon.

That SOCOM is one great looking weapon.

Also many thanks for letting me shoot the 642. Its much appreciated.

I didn't used to find it comfortable to shoot the SKS with muffs on, just plugs. I learned to use both on Sat. afternoon.

That SOCOM is one great looking weapon.

Also many thanks for letting me shoot the 642. Its much appreciated.

No sweat NC - I wish I had brought more ammo for both the 642 and the SOCOM. They're two snubbies with bite aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom