Trouble with my NICS check

Reptile

NES Member
For years, whenever they do a NICS check, it gets bumped up to a supervisor. I always pass 30 seconds later.

Why is this? I checked my credit report and it's ok. I do not have secret clearance problems (never been in the military).

I have a clean past so I do not think I would be opening a can of worms by inquiring about this.

Has anybody else had this issue and found out why?

Who can I call?

Here you go:

What is an FBI Identification Record?

An FBI Identification Record, often referred to as a “RAP Sheet,” is a listing of information taken from fingerprint submissions retained by the FBI in connection with arrests. In some instances, it also includes information taken from fingerprints submitted in connection with federal employment, naturalization, or military service. The identification record includes the name of the agency or institution that submitted the fingerprints to the FBI. For criminal offenses, the identification record includes the date of arrest or the date the individual was received by the agency submitting the fingerprints, the arrest charge(s), and the arrest disposition(s) if known. The FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division is not the source of the arrest data reflected on an identification record. All arrest information included in an identification record is obtained from fingerprint submissions, disposition reports, and other reports submitted voluntarily by agencies having criminal justice responsibilities.

Due to provisions within the Privacy Act of 1974, the FBI cannot provide criminal history information via the telephone or facsimile.

How do I obtain a copy of my FBI Identification Record for personal review?

You may obtain a copy of your FBI Identification Record by sending a request to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
CJIS Division
Attention: Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg , WV 26306

You are required to provide the following :

1) Your written request.

2) Payment for the $18 processing fee, either by certified check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury, or a credit card. For credit card payment information, refer to www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

3) A current, original tenprint fingerprint submission (not previously processed) taken by a local law enforcement agency and bearing your name, date of birth, and place of birth. Key information needed is magnified below.

What will I receive?

In accordance with regulations established by the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI’s CJIS Division is empowered to furnish an individual with a copy of any record in our Criminal File pertaining to him/her or to advise the individual that no such record exists. In instances where a criminal history record exists in our Criminal File, the FBI Identification Record itself serves as our official reply. When no record is found, a dated “No Arrest Record” stamp, placed on the back of the fingerprint card the individual submitted for the Criminal File search, serves as our official reply.

How do I challenge my record?

If, after reviewing your record, you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete, you may challenge the record by contacting the agency (or agencies) that originally submitted the information or by sending your challenge to the FBI’s CJIS Division, Attention: Correspondence Group, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306. The Correspondence Group will contact the appropriate agencies in an attempt to verify or correct the challenged entry for you. Upon receipt of official communication from the agency with jurisdiction over the data, the FBI will make appropriate changes, if necessary, and notify you of the outcome. Updating your FBI criminal history record can include having final disposition data entered, cases expunged, pardons entered, a conviction level changed, or rights restored. When challenging, you should submit any supporting documentation you have in your possession that indicates the final outcome of the arrest(s).

Your FBI Identification Record may not reflect all instances in which you were arrested and fingerprinted. The FBI maintains criminal history records voluntarily submitted by local, state, federal, and certain international agencies. You may need to contact the arresting agency or the repository of the state in which the arrest(s) occurred for criminal history record information. A state repository is responsible for maintaining and updating state criminal history records.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the processing time?

The FBI processes requests as quickly as possible; however, please allow several weeks for processing. You can obtain an estimate of the current processing time by calling (304) 625-5590.

Can the FBI send the results to someone (or an agency) other than me?

Under the U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73, the results must be returned to the requestor or his/her designated legal representative. A notarized authorization to release the results to the legal representative must accompany such a request.

Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

Local, county, or state law enforcement agencies may take your fingerprints for a fee. Also, some private companies offer this service—check the business listings in your telephone book.

Why was I told there was a problem with my criminal history but I received my fingerprint card stamped “No Arrest Record?”

There are several instances in which this might occur, such as:

1) Removal of arrest information may have been authorized since you were advised of the record problem.

2) A previous search was conducted with a name and physical description only, and the descriptive data you provided matched or was very similar to that contained in another individual’s record. Positive identifications are made by fingerprint comparisons.

3) The arresting agency may not have supplied the information to the FBI. You will need to contact the state repository in which the arrest occurred.

For additional information concerning your record request and the challenge process, please contact the Customer Service Group at (304) 625-5590 or refer to www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

Additional Concerns

Firearm Background Checks

The Correspondence Group cannot access National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) information or comment on firearm-related issues. The NICS Customer Service can be reached at (877) 444-6427 for firearm issues only or visit their Web site at www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm.

Licensing and Employment Background Checks

Certain background checks for licensing and employment must be conducted through specific state and federal channeling agencies. Contact the requiring agency for correct procedures.

NICs home | CJIS home

For years, whenever they do a NICS check, it gets bumped up to a supervisor. I always pass 30 seconds later.

Why is this? I checked my credit report and it's ok. I do not have secret clearance problems (never been in the military).

I have a clean past so I do not think I would be opening a can of worms by inquiring about this.

Has anybody else had this issue and found out why?

Who can I call?

someone out there has some information similar to yours (most likely name, IMHO) and is a prohibited person. IT gets bumped to make sure it is YOU who is applying, and not the other guy.

From another post...

The FFL calls the NICS which is nothing more than a bunch of secretaries that punch your information into a computer. If the computer says something is amiss the FFL is transferred to an FBI agent who peruses the information further. Sometimes they come back Proceed and sometimes it comes back delayed.

From another post...

Yes they are a bunch or drones. Watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az1mHUy-L68

Federal Bureau of Investigation. National Instant Criminal Background Check System. AVA20341VNB1 - 1998. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) video is designed to give the federal firearms licensees an overview of the NICS program and how it operates. The NICS is a national system that checks available records on persons who are disqualified from owning firearms. Producer: Federal Bureau of Investigation. Keywords: FedFlix; ntis.gov. Creative Commons license: Public Domain

I just wish I knew what the hold up was exactly.

I just called NICS customer service. [smile]

A very helpful and learned individual told me about applying for a UPIN. It is like the Massachusetts UPIN where you have to enter that number.

The Federal and State UPINs are different.

All I need to do is provide the federal UPIN instead of my social.

He is going to send out the application which requires an official fingerprinting. Once that is sent in they will issue me a number. He also said they will check for any ID theft issues as part of the process.

Sounds cool.

Just for shits and giggles I am going to apply for the FBI Record as well. [smile]

He is going to send out the application which requires an official fingerprinting. Once that is sent in they will issue me a number. He also said they will check for any ID theft issues as part of the process.

I requested my own FBI background check because of previous ID theft issues and submitted it with my LTC application. The process was painless and the most difficult part was obtaining a set of rolled prints from the local PD. It's also good information to have on file. I received the report in about 2 weeks.

-MS

For anything you ever wanted to know about the NICS check process, go here.

reptile said:
A very helpful and learned individual told me about applying for a UPIN.

I know several folks who have gotten a Voluntary Appeal File and a UPIN for it, and it's made the process run a lot more smoothly for them. It does usually take a while though, six months or so if you're unlucky.

Last edited:
I just called NICS customer service. [smile]

A very helpful and learned individual told me about applying for a UPIN. It is like the Massachusetts UPIN where you have to enter that number.

The Federal and State UPINs are different.

All I need to do is provide the federal UPIN instead of my social.

Sounds cool.

Just for shits and giggles I am going to apply for the FBI Record as well. [smile]

I applied for and received my UPIN. I can use it instead of a SS number when doing a NICS check. I always get bumped to a supervisor so this should be better.

Here you go:

What is an FBI Identification Record?

An FBI Identification Record, often referred to as a “RAP Sheet,” is a listing of information taken from fingerprint submissions retained by the FBI in connection with arrests. In some instances, it also includes information taken from fingerprints submitted in connection with federal employment, naturalization, or military service. The identification record includes the name of the agency or institution that submitted the fingerprints to the FBI. For criminal offenses, the identification record includes the date of arrest or the date the individual was received by the agency submitting the fingerprints, the arrest charge(s), and the arrest disposition(s) if known. The FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division is not the source of the arrest data reflected on an identification record. All arrest information included in an identification record is obtained from fingerprint submissions, disposition reports, and other reports submitted voluntarily by agencies having criminal justice responsibilities.

Due to provisions within the Privacy Act of 1974, the FBI cannot provide criminal history information via the telephone or facsimile.

How do I obtain a copy of my FBI Identification Record for personal review?

You may obtain a copy of your FBI Identification Record by sending a request to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
CJIS Division
Attention: Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg , WV 26306

You are required to provide the following :

1) Your written request.

2) Payment for the $18 processing fee, either by certified check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury, or a credit card. For credit card payment information, refer to www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

3) A current, original tenprint fingerprint submission (not previously processed) taken by a local law enforcement agency and bearing your name, date of birth, and place of birth. Key information needed is magnified below.

What will I receive?

In accordance with regulations established by the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI’s CJIS Division is empowered to furnish an individual with a copy of any record in our Criminal File pertaining to him/her or to advise the individual that no such record exists. In instances where a criminal history record exists in our Criminal File, the FBI Identification Record itself serves as our official reply. When no record is found, a dated “No Arrest Record” stamp, placed on the back of the fingerprint card the individual submitted for the Criminal File search, serves as our official reply.

How do I challenge my record?

If, after reviewing your record, you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete, you may challenge the record by contacting the agency (or agencies) that originally submitted the information or by sending your challenge to the FBI’s CJIS Division, Attention: Correspondence Group, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306. The Correspondence Group will contact the appropriate agencies in an attempt to verify or correct the challenged entry for you. Upon receipt of official communication from the agency with jurisdiction over the data, the FBI will make appropriate changes, if necessary, and notify you of the outcome. Updating your FBI criminal history record can include having final disposition data entered, cases expunged, pardons entered, a conviction level changed, or rights restored. When challenging, you should submit any supporting documentation you have in your possession that indicates the final outcome of the arrest(s).

Your FBI Identification Record may not reflect all instances in which you were arrested and fingerprinted. The FBI maintains criminal history records voluntarily submitted by local, state, federal, and certain international agencies. You may need to contact the arresting agency or the repository of the state in which the arrest(s) occurred for criminal history record information. A state repository is responsible for maintaining and updating state criminal history records.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the processing time?

The FBI processes requests as quickly as possible; however, please allow several weeks for processing. You can obtain an estimate of the current processing time by calling (304) 625-5590.

Can the FBI send the results to someone (or an agency) other than me?

Under the U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73, the results must be returned to the requestor or his/her designated legal representative. A notarized authorization to release the results to the legal representative must accompany such a request.

Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

Local, county, or state law enforcement agencies may take your fingerprints for a fee. Also, some private companies offer this service—check the business listings in your telephone book.

Why was I told there was a problem with my criminal history but I received my fingerprint card stamped “No Arrest Record?”

There are several instances in which this might occur, such as:

1) Removal of arrest information may have been authorized since you were advised of the record problem.

2) A previous search was conducted with a name and physical description only, and the descriptive data you provided matched or was very similar to that contained in another individual’s record. Positive identifications are made by fingerprint comparisons.

3) The arresting agency may not have supplied the information to the FBI. You will need to contact the state repository in which the arrest occurred.

For additional information concerning your record request and the challenge process, please contact the Customer Service Group at (304) 625-5590 or refer to www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

Additional Concerns

Firearm Background Checks

The Correspondence Group cannot access National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) information or comment on firearm-related issues. The NICS Customer Service can be reached at (877) 444-6427 for firearm issues only or visit their Web site at www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm.

Licensing and Employment Background Checks

Certain background checks for licensing and employment must be conducted through specific state and federal channeling agencies. Contact the requiring agency for correct procedures.

NICs home | CJIS home

In another transaction with the FBI, I got my FBI records check back.

It just says no arrest record. I was hoping to see all the times my prints were submitted from my past employers. Oh well. I guess no news is good news.

I seem to go to level two all the time also.

As others have said, there is probably a similarity that triggers a harder look.

I seem to go to level two all the time also.

As others have said, there is probably a similarity that triggers a harder look.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Osama and Sirhan. I hope it works out for you guys.

I always get bumped as well. One dealer told me it was probably because of the secret clearance. Never had an actual delay (knocking on my wooden desk very hard right now)

I always get bumped as well. One dealer told me it was probably because of the secret clearance. Never had an actual delay (knocking on my wooden desk very hard right now)

i doubt thats the reason. military officers come into the store often and they are not held up due to a security clearance. i had one (or still have one, not sure) and im not bumped to the other person.

Yeah, but officers are less trustworthy. Everyone knows that.

Add that to the fact that my name is fairly generic.

There are two others with my name, but I always give my social so I won't have a problem. I've never had a problem since I do this.

Back
Top Bottom