Trnsporting ammunition, powder and components across state lines by ground

Like most reloaders, I buy primers by the case and have more than 10,000 in SR alone.

Do you really want to admit that online?

527 CMR 13.04 (2)(c) Storage by Permit

Small arms ammunition primers: private use
Not to exceed 10,000 small arms ammunition primers.

I agree that most competitive shooters probably exceed this, but that is the legal limit allowed a homeowner.

What I learned many years ago is that if you merely prime cases, then they don't count as "primers", allowing you an additional 10K primers that haven't been loaded in cases yet.

You made me think of this story before I even read it in your post [laugh]

I'm just glad it happened in one of the states where the gun was on me, and not in the trunk per FOPA. [thinking]

Finally, while Chicago is definitely anti-gun, they do follow FOPA. I have flown into and out of Midway with handguns and have had no problems.

Airlines deal with guns daily and are at least somewhat familiar with FOPA regs, the cop on the side of the road in Chicago may not.

If you have any gun-related stickers or decals on the vehicle ("I'm the NRA", "Terrorist Hunting Permit", "Insured by Smith & Wesson", etc.), remove them with some rubbing alcohol and a razor blade. Those type of stickers put LEOs on the alert that there may be firearms in the vehicle and you will likely be questioned about this. When travelling cross-country through anti-gun jurisdictions, that is one hassle that you don't want or need.

Great point, I forgot that one.

That's crazy-f***ing-ma**h*** thinking where you need a license to even have a freaking dummy round.

Jose, I agree with your posts most of the time, but you're crazy if you think that there's any gray area as to what's going to happen if you get stopped in NYC with a carload of guns, ammo and reloading components, FOPA compliant or not.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...rmont-murder-victim-facing-ammunition-charges

Transporting Ammunition across state lines? I did not know this was a thing. After searching online, it appears there are no federal laws prohibiting this. Can anyone elaborate on the particulars? Does it become an issue when it is used in the commission of a crime, or perhaps transferred to another party? It seems this is done all the time (think hunting loads). Clearly, I'm missing something...

Holy necropost. This is interesting. I'd like to know more about the charges. Not that it necessarily matters how much, if we're talking rounds in someone carry gun this is a scary precedent.

Shit, meet wall. How much is gonna stick?

And why wouldn't you just start a new thread for this?

I bump old threads all the time if the new information is pertinent to the subject.
It helps us to be better informed by going back and reading the older posts, and makes for less thread clutter and repeats.

I bump old threads all the time if the new information is pertinent to the subject.
It helps us to be better informed by going back and reading the older posts, and makes for less thread clutter and repeats.
Plus it is a good trip down memory lane. Half of the characters in the old posts aren't around here anymore.

Save weight sell it all at current replacement cost to someone.

Then plot out every bullet and powder manufacture on your way and hit the factory stores.
There’s also three forks reloading or something like that in WA .
Shipping your ammo is another option but not to cheap if you have a lot.

Sounds better this way...

Transporting ammunition, powder and components across state lines by ground, for nefarious purposes...

Back
Top Bottom