Tripod mount

FYI ... I have the "Trigger stick". It is great for quick shots and pretty light. A good tripod if you will be moving around. I love that it is easy to deploy.

The tripod in your pic is great for a blind.

Last edited:
If you turned out to have issues with panning it while tracking game, or just weren’t quite satisfied in the field, you can try using a bag on top of your bipod.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DK-vms4gIl0&pp=ygUPVHJpcG9kIHNob290aW5n

I just watched this. Interesting conclusion. I like the bag idea. It's just bulky and probably heavier. But man what a simple solution.

I'm very comfortable seated and shooting with my pack in an upright position. I'm super stable using my trekking poles with the straps crossed over each other while seated. Works pretty good kneeling too. But not quite as stable. It's the standing shot I find the most difficult unless I have a tree branch. Not fond of standing. Just something I have to work on.

I just watched this. Interesting conclusion. I like the bag idea. It's just bulky and probably heavier. But man what a simple solution.

I'm very comfortable seated and shooting with my pack in an upright position. I'm super stable using my trekking poles with the straps crossed over each other while seated. Works pretty good kneeling too. But not quite as stable. It's the standing shot I find the most difficult unless I have a tree branch. Not fond of standing. Just something I have to work on.

I like ARCA best, but have found I like bag over clamp/saddle. The weight of the bag totally depends on the fill. And they’re usually bigger than a clamp/saddle, but can be packed much easier because they’re soft and flexible.

And I agree, not a fan of standing and the only use for it seems to be in urban areas. Outside, kneeling or sitting seems to be adequate everywhere I’ve seen. But I’m sure there are some edge cases that require standing in nature.

9860297B-CEF9-43DE-A0E5-AD83438AE770.jpeg 69B0EC31-C907-449E-BE07-A5FBA60A5E4D.jpeg 0B63C7D1-6961-4215-8708-1C1D5238B150.jpeg

Last edited:
I like ARCA best, but have found I like bag over clamp/saddle. The weight of the bag totally depends on the fill. And they’re usually bigger than a clamp/saddle, but can be packed much easier because they’re soft and flexible.

And I agree, not a fan of standing and the only use for it seems to be in urban areas. Outside, kneeling or sitting seems to be adequate everywhere I’ve seen. But I’m sure there are some edge cases that require standing in nature.

View attachment 818958View attachment 818959View attachment 818960
I'm gonna sew one up and fill it with rice. I've made a bunch of shooting bags for the bench that way. See how small I can get away with.

I will be buying a clamp for the trigger stick. But I will keep the trigger stick.

After using the trigger stick for a week on uneven terrain, I love it. It adjusts very fast, unlike the average tripod, and it can support the weight of a rifle + chassis.

The only reason I will buy the clamp is so I can seat for extended periods of time without holding the rifle.

The trigger stick is great if you will be walking around and need to deploy it quick or you need to be quiet on uneven terrain.

20231116_140537.jpg

20231115_144741.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna sew one up and fill it with rice. I've made a bunch of shooting bags for the bench that way. See how small I can get away with.
for size/prototyping purposes (in a different hobby) we used to put rice in a sandwich bag or wrapped in plastic wrap, then stuff it in a sock...just a thought.

buying a clamp for the trigger stick
a solid mount on top of that plastic toy may mean the end of it very quick... i get that it is fun for a mere $100, but based on pictures it is all a PC glued plastic. it will not hold well a consistent stress from an off-balance 20lb on it plus recoil.
if you want something that will hold - look at slik carbon fiber tripods, i think slik is still the cheapest good brand among those - something in $200 range.
or a good one - like this $450 one.

i would get cheapest one on the left and put that $50 arca ball head i posted before, as it will work just fine.
1700579028886.png

a solid mount on top of that plastic toy may mean the end of it very quick... i get that it is fun for a mere $100, but based on pictures it is all a PC glued plastic. it will not hold well a consistent stress from an off-balance 20lb on it plus recoil.
if you want something that will hold - look at slik carbon fiber tripods, i think slik is still the cheapest good brand among those - something in $200 range.
or a good one - like this $450 one.

i would get cheapest one on the left and put that $50 arca ball head i posted before, as it will work just fine.
View attachment 819260
20lbs on it? ... not sure what you are shooting, but my rifle is barely 12lbs.

It holds the weight just fine. It is not plastic.

But it is not designed for competition shooting where one might be putting additional stress on it.

I thought about an arca mount, that means I would need a longer arca rail on my rifle, right now I have a 3" arca. But that might be the way to go.

I will check out the ball you posted.

The problem with most tripods is adjusting them, they s*ck. They are too slow to adjust and move around. Ideally you would adjust it only once, but sometimes moving it around is required.

Just like everything, there isn't one item that can solve every use cases. For my needs, the trigger stick is great.

Even my buddy that goes to Wyoming a lot and takes +300 yard shots on animals prefers the trigger stick, sometimes he needs to move and take a quick shot.

Airsoft BBs might work well too. Not sure about the weight though.
I think someone was posting about using some super light beads to fill their bags? Seems like a balance between carried weight and ballast, though I've yet to try this kind of shooting.

@paul73

Tripods are great for sleeping. Fell asleep this morning in the blind. My buddy took a pic. It was surprisingly comfortable.

My buddy woke me up, 2 min later 2 deer came from the right and we shot them both at 8:15, started gutting at 8:24, we were done by 8:40, loaded them on the truck and working by 9:00am.

#OperatorOperating
#TriggerStickNapTime

Sleeping ...

IMG-20231122-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Trigger stick holds rifle and sleeping hunter. [rofl]

To be fair, it can only hold so much weight, it can't be used as a walking stick and the butt of the rifle was resting on my leg.

Last edited:
@paul73

Tripods are great for sleeping. Fell asleep this morning in the blind. My buddy took a pic. It was surprisingly comfortable.

My buddy woke me up, 2 min later 2 deer came from the right and we shot them both at 8:15, started gutting at 8:24, we were done by 8:40, loaded them on the truck and working by 9:00am.

#OperatorOperating
#TriggerStickNapTime

Sleeping ...

View attachment 819566
as long as your cheek did not freeze to the stock - all good. :)

Well ... trigger stick supports TIKKA CTR + KRG chassis.

I need to get a longer arga rail, or mount this one further back, right now it is too forward.

20231123_113214.jpg

Different angles ....

20231123_113610.jpg

20231123_113548.jpg

if it was you who placed the arca plate - move it 3-4" closer to the magazine, it needs to be as close to the center of gravity as possible - for balance - without obstructing the mag.
Yes, it was me. It was originally forward for a bipod.

I ordered a longer KRG arca rail. I don't like this little one for a tripod. It has a couple of screws sticking out that make it hard to slide into the clamp. Stupid design.

Last edited:
Yes, it was me. It was originally forward for a bipod.

I ordered a linger KRG arca rail. I don't like this little one for a tripod. It has a couple of screws sticking out that make it hard to slide into the clamp. Stupid design.
yeah, one long arca is a better thing as it can be used for both tripod at the mag and bipod mount in front as well.

Back
Top Bottom