Trijicon RMR Type 1

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Noticed Rainier Arms has the Trijicon RMR Type 1's for $375. I've read all about flickering issues and fixes for the Type 1's. Also read about the eventual improvements in the Type 2's. Just wondering if you'd take a gamble on the Type 1 at this price point. Question is, is roughly $100 off the Type 2 price worth it to potentially deal with the Type 1 issues?

I had a type 1 and did all the tricks to fix it and still had issues. I eventually just went with type 2. Zero issues. Sample size of 1 obviously

Noticed Rainier Arms has the Trijicon RMR Type 1's for $375. I've read all about flickering issues and fixes for the Type 1's. Also read about the eventual improvements in the Type 2's. Just wondering if you'd take a gamble on the Type 1 at this price point. Question is, is roughly $100 off the Type 2 price worth it to potentially deal with the Type 1 issues?

$100 off wouldn’t make it worth it to me.

Sort of depends on what you are expecting out of it. Defensive use or not? Willing to wait for warranty service?

There are people that have not had problems with Type 1s, there are people that have had problems with Type 2s. Generally speaking, they have greatly improved the battery contact issue specifically with the Type 2s, but I know people that have killed multiples of both types. My personal experience with Type 2s is 15k rounds on one and about 8k on another with zero issues.

Sort of depends on what you are expecting out of it. Defensive use or not? Willing to wait for warranty service?

There are people that have not had problems with Type 1s, there are people that have had problems with Type 2s. Generally speaking, they have greatly improved the battery contact issue specifically with the Type 2s, but I know people that have killed multiples of both types. My personal experience with Type 2s is 15k rounds on one and about 8k on another with zero issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually do tend to be a gambling man in terms of going for deals on iffy products, as I also usually can trouble shoot pretty well. However, I also appreciate something that "just works", so it wouldn't kill me to pay a little more for something a little more bomb-proof. This will be on my fall/winter defensive piece, so maybe I should just shell out the extra for the piece of mind for a better reliability track record.

I wouldn’t buy an RMR just because you have to pull the unit off the gun to change the battery. Depending on how much you’re actually using the gun, re-zeroing each time you replace the battery may or may not be a big deal to you.

Been running a Vortex Venom on a G17 for about 1500 hard rounds and it still keeps kicking, no issues with zero or glass. Some dings from ejecting brass but pleased with it so far. Not a durable as my RMR type 2 but for the price and vortex warranty I can't complain.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom